The “PREPPERS CORNER”

If anyone’s got a :hamburger: tree or a :doughnut: plant I’d love to hear more. :neutral_face:

Got plenty of weed.

:evergreen_tree:

12 Likes

Peeps like this guy more than likely will have no worries when things get shitty! Wonder how his supply toilet paper is?

3 Likes

Born and raised in the country in the Midwest, I’ve always had a veggie garden and a canned food supply. I can hunt and fish, Got a case of dinner mres in the basement, plenty of ammo, I live in the mountains at my commercial grow facility, I’m not sweating it.

7 Likes

Plenty of deer meat if the going got tuff my wife might help me eat it

5 Likes

I’ve got enough dry goods to get by about a month. Plus frozen meat etc. I’ve got a wee bit of self protection tools and a 4x4 to hit the woods if needed

5 Likes

My buddy was telling me soaks his deer meat in kombucha and says quite a taste…the enzymes change the meat

2 Likes

I like prepping and survival stuff.
I got a big bag of rice, beans and canned meats. I can eat for a long time. Toilet paper could be counting squares soon though.

2 Likes

I don’t expect a food shortage but have a back up supply of canned and dry foods along with some freeze dried emergency type rations.
If your worried about food supply I’d suggest getting a fishing pole and a crap ton of hooks.
If you have the space plant a garden if you don’t need the food you can give it to somebody who does.
Biggest thing that concerns me about this compared to the great depression is we had alot of skilled self sufficient people back then who knew how to put there differences aside and come together to work for the greater good if need be, that still exists but we also have more over privelged, self entitled, selfish, skill lacking adult children then ever before. I’m not to sure how well the current generation of mumble rap, scribble face posers is going to hang if things even get a little bit tough.

12 Likes

True dat! Plus 20 characters!

1 Like

Where are you…going Fiddleheading? I’m in Northern Maine and go Fiddleheading every Spring…Vinegar and a lil Butter, can’t beat it!!! Stay safe.

4 Likes

I’m in an urban area of Toronto. Fortunately the city has an extensive network of ravines with everything from rabbits to deer to fiddleheads to ducks, etc.

Not a chance I will starve to death.

Not sure exactly when to go for the fiddleheads but since the crocuses are coming up it might just be time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How do you prepare your fiddleheads? I may try this this year.

2 Likes

I simmer them in a large pot of water for a bit. This leaches out the (tannins?/bitterness?) I believe. You will see a noticeable change in the water colour.

Some people just fry them and don’t bother with the leaching but I find it tastier.

A little butter and salt. That’s it. Sort of a cross between a green bean and an asparagus. Quite good.

3 Likes

As soon as the crocuses have begun to wane and, you get a few sunny/windy days, first fiddleheads won’t be long. I keep a 5 gal bucket or two in my truck. When I fish for trout, I take a break and grab some. I clean them, give most away to elderly neighbors, blanch a few quart bags for the wife, She often sends some (frozen) to a girlfriend in Ohio who was once stationed here. If you look right next to fallen trees (“blowdown heads”), that’s where the first ones appear (area is warmer).

4 Likes

You know, fiddleheads are the ONLY edible Fern!!! I once dug up many and replanted them around the base of my home, in the back of the beds. Adds depth and height.

5 Likes

Most people here clean theirs streamside, saving you from having to simmer them. It washes off the “dry skin” covering them (where the bitterness comes from). I make a “chicken wire box” (looks like a small piece of luggage), put fh’s in, dunk it a few times, skin comes off and floats away. Now you have clean fh’s. It’s a brisk business locally. A lot of people supplement their income that way as the price is about $3.50 - 4.00 PER pound.

5 Likes

Once the shock and awh is over, stores get a chance to get back square again

2 Likes

Fiddleheads, aren’t they the growing top of a fern?

1 Like

They are. And they are everywhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have to move fast 'cause the picking season is short!
I always got them on the ‘late’ side.

Cheers
G

3 Likes