The SensorPush Hygrometer

Was curious, were you eventually able to get the Mi Smart Humidity sensor to work with the IKEA Gateway?

I only just got the Mi sensor, haven’t picked up a IKEA Gateway yet.
But I have been looking into it, and from what I read it should be possible to flash it.

As it is, the IKEA gateway won’t connect with other item’s then IKEA’s apparently.
So it might be a cheap way, for a heavy DIY project. But it don’t look like, it’s as easy as first thourt.

1 Like

I checked the calibration of my humidity gauges by going outside on a dry windy day. I leave it out on the porch and then I check the weather info on the internet to get the local humidity.

It’s important, many of the cheap little hygrometers are WAY off. I was using Oregon Scientific ones that turned out to be 20 points too low and I lost a crop to mold because of this. A friend gave me little ones intended to go inside jars and they were also about 20% off.

it’s one of those items where it’s nearly impossible to find a quality instrument. There’s a million hygrometers for $10 and no good expensive ones…edit OK I found this…400 bucks though!

http://pacer-instruments-usa.com/catalog/hygrometer/dh500-hygro-thermometer

edit found a couple more good ones for <$100

http://www.thomassci.com/Instruments/Hygrometers/_/THOMAS-TRACEABLE-JUMBO-HUMIDITYTEMPERATURE-METER?q=Humidity%20Probe

http://www.thermcoproducts.com/CT31TH-Environmental-Hygro-Therm.html

2 Likes

I have 2 sensorpush devices in route. I should have them Monday. Looking forward to replacing my crap hygrometers in my tents

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing a lot of growers promoting the new Pulse unit and it makes me wonder – are they being paid to push this product? First it was the Dude Grows Show talking about it every day, and now I’ve seen 3 different Insta-growers talking about them in the past week.

When comparing against SensorPush the only real difference is they track light levels and VPD on top of temp and RH. I just cannot justify the extra expense. A single SensorPush + Wifi gateway will run about $150 with each additional sensor costing $50. These new Pulse units are $199 EACH.

Can anyone else find a reason for the extra cost here? Anyone think this is worth testing?

(I won’t be replacing my setup, since I’m far too deep into SensorPush at this point.)

3 Likes

I saw it advertised on strainly, too. Sounds like it.

Would be interesting to play with one. Basically, wifi + temperature + humidity. Light is probably an on/off measurement. VPD is simply performing some math on the temperature and the humidity.

The advantages appear to include a nice UI, tracking, and alerts. All integrated. It is unclear if the API is open to allow integration into a larger control system, eg. providing a data interface API. Or, if there is a “cloud” requirement.

Personally, wouldn’t work well in my application, curing in jars. The smaller devices are applicable for that. For a grow-areas, it’s interesting. Need to know more.

FWIW, calculation of VPD is relatively straight forward with the information that the sensor push gives you. Just needs the temperature and the humidity. For instance,

Eventually we’ll have the framework here for a significantly more advanced and open version. https://overgrow.com/tags/sourcecode

6 Likes

Yeah I have been manually doing VPD for quite a while using my SensorPush data, I think that’s one of the ways they’re selling this unit to growers. Simply a marketing ploy to charge an additional hundred bucks.

I did grab your VPD code a while back and I plan on converting it to C# once I get a break from the holiday web traffic. If only there were a few more hours in the day… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was my first thought, as well. Price point, well, I don’t think it’s unreasonable. It appears that they have a lot of work invested in making a polished product.

Cool! You did mention that and I promptly forgot :slight_smile: Please let me know if you run into any problems or issues when you get to trying that.

2 Likes

next level sw guy stuff nice. ha ha wire guy here.

1 Like

Some samples from one year of monitoring with Boveda packs:

Temperature is first graph, humidity is the second graph in each of the following:

3 Likes

First harvest out of two, ~10 days hang dry, then trim/bottle.

Showing the extremes between two phenos, one is too wet other is bit dry.

Wet, burping. Too wet. Will probably dump it out to bulk dry further:

Went in somewhat dry, haven’t burped it yet as I want to see how far the humidity will increase on its own:

5 Likes

i love the sensorpush, i have one in each of my rooms and they offer me a piece of mind. last year i had an extraction fan fail and the temp limit warning saved me from burning up a 4x4 tent. soon ill get the gateway so i can monitor anywhere. do you use the gateway or are you bluetooth only?

4 Likes

I have a gateway set-up near the sensors (currently nine sensors). In that way, I don’t have to bring a bluetooth capable tablet/phone within range of the sensors in order to log the readings. Been running for about a year and has been maintenance free.

3 Likes

I’m running them everywhere too. Because of the cost I’m able to run them in more locations for better data coverage, something that is very cost prohibitive with the Pulse units.

Places I have the sensors:

Grow Room (2 sensors)
Grow Tent
Lung Room
Reservoir Chamber
Drying Cabinet
Curing Room

The first 4 are interconnected systems, so seeing how one affects the other is important to me. As air is exchanged between the grow room and tent I can see how it affects the lung room, which can be adjusted as needed.

I also have the gateway because I wanted to get alerts when I’m away from the house. Been over a year with these myself and I’m loving them. Still find it hard to believe people spend so much money on the Pulse units. (The number of growers touting them is insane.)

4 Likes

Ima bit lost y ppl want $50 per rh senser fer curin n storage when research sez weed above 32F loses potency fast?

Aint yer weed better off long term w $2 boveda to calibrate $3 ebay hygrom. to check jars b4 u put em in the freezer?

And what research is that? Please be specific.

Wait… Who the hell puts their weed in the freezer? The only thing that goes in my freezer is trim, that way I can dry sift and collect the trichomes that fall off. I most certainly would not want to pull my buds out and have all of the good stuff fall off as I tried to roll one. Never mind that the freezer halts the THCA->THC conversion.

But besides that, if you are burping a few jars then sure a cheap hygrometer would be fine. I have 5 gallon buckets full that are curing w/ an automated system. I can literally be across the country and tell you how my flower is curing in each bucket. You cannot do that with a cheap meter. We’re talking about over $5000 worth of product in each bucket, so a one-time $50 sensor is a small price to pay to protect the investment that has got me to that point.

3 Likes

Shure thang boss man. Forensic science 4yr lab research published this year shows fast n predictable degradin at any amt above freezin:

https://www.labcompare.com/10-Featured-Articles/362465-Storage-Stability-of-Hashish-and-Marijuana/ which is a summary of https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2019.02.058

N this 4yr study shows all samples degrade a lot in potency (abt 6% err 3mo) even barely abov freezin (4C) worse if exposed to any light:

Learn somethin new err day! lol

Sorry boss man science disagrees. THCA 2 THC is what yer heat sourse does when smokin. U dont want that until ya smoke. Yer thinkin THC 2 CBN fer reference see https://www.marijuanabreak.com/cbn lol

If yer a cash cropper storin only real short term yer best bet is a storeroom climate controlled to 60F at 60% fer “curing.” Lot cheaper 2 monitor the room. Still u should read the lit I posted n learn to store below freezin if yer storin more than a couple mo. Science aint lyin.

Sorry but I don’t see anything in this study that would say I should freeze my buds. We know there is some degradation over time, that’s a given, but a proper cure and storage will slow that process greatly and not destroy the material at a later date.

Decarboxylation happens during the cure as well and is more efficient then just smoking. On top of that, THCA is still being created from non-psychoactive cannabinoids during the cure.

Apparently you missed the part about me having a curing room with a sensor in it.

The only time I will freeze anything is when I’m making concentrates. Flower is sold right after the cure, and there’s high enough demand I never have enough on hand as it is.

2 Likes

Similar to purchasing a $3 PH probe. Do it anyway that works for ya. I prefer the reliability, accuracy, and the ability to log and monitor cure rates. Later, in sampling, I can go back to see why some bud is smooth vs harsh or why the jar molded over, God forbid. For those who prefer to be analytical.

Also, personally, I have several different harvests albeit each a small batch. They all end up having different moisture content so they end up segmented into different stages of cure. In the same room which is not necessarily humidity controlled. It is cheaper to do it this way than running a dehuey for me.

When I hit an average target near what the Boveda packs are designed for, only then do I add the Boveda to the jar.

Personally, I don’t keep it in the freezer. Not necessarily against it, but idk. After a good cure, makes some sense. P.s., I’ve just submitted some 12 month old product for testing which I’ll publish the data once received back from the lab. I like these sort of analysis.

4 Likes

Im sorry but there aint no need to get defensive. U act like u invented weed n sorta like I just hit yer kid. Its ok to disagree but plz dont get uppity.

I think u missed the quotes of “Significant changes in the THC (degradation) and CBN (formation) content were detected under storage conditions A and B, and almost 100% of THC was degraded after four years” from the 1st link n the rate of decay in the 2nd link “25.22% of Δ9–THC (fig. 4 a) was lost in the first year with an average loss of 6.30% every tree [sic] months” The 2nd quote is avg fer all storage conditions tested.

Them 2 figures is close enough to extrapolate a 2% d9-THC reduction per month from harvest time.

They show that even stored near freezin in dark n sealed container dont stop the degradin even in concentrates. You should read em again boss.

Again I dunt no if u understand whats goin on chemically. THCA isnt bein created durin the cure. What is the precursor to THCA? Understandin that is importante to understanding what Im tryin to teach ya.

Beyond that u dont want NE degradation of the cannabinoids. Sayin you want nethin besides chlorophyll breakin down in yer flower is silly talk no offense. The same process breakin down THCA into THC is also breaking down THC into CBN. U dont want that. “[THCA] is unstable, and slowly decarboxylates into THC during storage, and the THC itself slowly degrades to cannabinol” says wiki which I trust as a source for this.

N I didnt miss a curin room I just dont see ne pics of it n I dont get why u care bout each bucket if yer whole room is ideal temp n rh. What r u goina do if yer around the world n a bucket swings wild in one direction? That means yer room is wrong. Get yer helpers to fix the room not the buckets. N u should always err on the side of 2 dry newayz.

My 3rd link is bout concentrate degradation. U seem averse to changin opinions based on new info errr not even digesting the new info. Why?

I agree n anybody can spend their cash ne way they want. I only mean that the data implies that a cure outside the freezer might be a bad thing so there aint no need for fancy shite cuz we want our harvests above freezin for as little as possible. Im bringin this up cuz im the analytical type not the anecdotal type.

Nother thing is we shuld be real clear bout what exact compounds n processes wez attemptin to improve by a 60f 60rh cure cuz it aint clear to me. Chlorophylls maybe? Wut else tho? Anythin non anecdotal?

I appreciate u editing in a few caveats Loki after readin the data n not just relyin on anecdotals. The data shows a few important things:

Degradation starts immediately regarldless of source - flower or extract.
Degradation is predictable.
Degredation is only slowed by temps below freezing n lack of light.

1 Like