The SensorPush Hygrometer

This is an overview of the SensorPush Bluetooth Hygrometers. I had recently purchased a number of these to help in the curing process.

A word of warning, these are a bit pricey as far as miniature hygrometers go. But, these seems to work very well with features that may be useful to you.

Now, the hygrometer:

Backside, note the hole for the humidity sensing component:

The cover is removable for battery replacement (and possibly for cleaning anything that gets into the hole). These sensors are not waterproof.

The size of the sensor itself is approximately 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.5 inches. Here is what one looks like in a small 12 ounce mason jar:

Clearly, there is no display to actually tell what is going on with the humidity and temperature.
Instead, there are a couple of ways to retrieve and store the data.
The first way requires a bluetooth capable IOS or Android device to be able to query the device. The hygrometer itself is capable of storing something like 20 days of data. As soon as your device is in range of the sensor(s), the data is downloaded to the sensor push application.

The second method is through the use of a bluetooth gateway that can be purchased from SensorPush. In this case, any hygrometer that is within range of the gateway will automatically push data to cloud based storage. This will allow wifi or ethernet connected device, again Android or IOS based, to query the data from anywhere in the world. Pretty nifty if you donā€™t mind storing the data in the cloud.

Here is what the gateway looks like:

The gateway will connect to your wifi or ethernet based network.

You can purchase any number of these hygrometers and add them to the SensorPush application almost seamlessly. All you need to do is to place the ā€œnewā€ sensor near the Android or IOS device with bluetooth.

The application will automatically detect the new sensor and add it to your dashboard. The same method is used to add a gateway if you go that route. Here is what the dashboard looks like with several paired sensors:

You are also able to set-up ranges of temperature and humidity that are acceptable, values outside of the set range will generate an alert:

And, the dashboard with the ranges set for the first sensor:

You can drill down into the data for each individual sensor to view graphs of the stored data by hour, week, day, month, or years. For instance, here is the view for the weekly data from one of the sensors:

And, scrolling down, you can see the temperature distribution, humidity distribution, and other metrics (such as the battery temperature being 1.17 trillon degrees, opps):

Youā€™ll also note that there is an export data button. For the data hounds, itā€™s easy enough to export the data by date range. For plotting in Excel, for instance.

Here is the exported data from a sensor located in a curing jar (imported into Excel):

And, another one as I try to get the humidity under control:

The overall accuracy as specified by the SensorPush folk is
temperature: Ā±0.3Ā°C / Ā±0.5Ā°F typical Ā±0.5Ā°C / Ā±0.9Ā°F maximum
humidity (20-80%): Ā±3% typical Ā±4.5% maximum
humidity (0-1005): Ā±4.5% typical Ā±7.5% maximum

The relative humidity is capable of being calibrated using accepted methods for humidity calibration including the use of Boveda salt based calibration packs.

They also claim a 1-2 year life expectancy with the pre-installed battery (replaceable).

20 Likes

This should be in the automation station thread :100:

Quality idea btw bro

4 Likes

Thanks.

Appreciate your thread very much but Iā€™d prefer to keep this as it is.

Or, if there is a more narrowly defined thread specific to curing and/or hygrometry somewhere, that might work.

4 Likes

I fully appreciate that mate. Youā€™re still more than welcome to drop a link in there to here

1 Like

Awesome brother!

Love it!

1 Like

hehehe

Ok, I have to ask - in the graphs, whats kind of a ā€˜burpā€™ is thats helping you control humidity? My burps dont do much for me, but then my batteries are a LOT cooler :wink:

3 Likes

Apparently burping at 1.17 trillon degrees make all the difference :dizzy_face:

Partially dried flowers placed into sealed glass containers. Burp, for my case, simply means to open the containers to allow some air exchange and humidity reduction (yes, it has to be less humid in the room that the container is in for it to make any difference). Give the jar a shake, open it up for some short period, seal it back up, repeat. This allows moisture to slowly migrate from the dense core of the flower to the exterior. Idea is to slow the cure and to level the moisture content throughout the bud until some desired and stable value is maintained. Perhaps add a Boveda pack once stability is reached.

The graphs show two cases of exceedingly moist flowers at the start of cure which puts them at risk for mold while at those high humidity levels. They could have been dried a bit more before hand but these were some early cuts, anyhow.

The huge dip at one point on sensor 5 was my adding a moisture absorber to a jar to see the effect. As you can see it sucked alot of the moisture out which then rebounded quickly to near the starting value once removed.

3 Likes

Ah! I wasnt paying attention when you said you were using these while curing. I assumed they were in your grow tent or room. Silly me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love my SensorPush, Iā€™ve got these all over the place. Grow room, jars, multiple in the house (you think humidity is critical for growing, try living in a log home), and 3 in the chicken coop/run.

Really looking forward to their api and IFTTT integrationā€¦

5 Likes

Agree, the API will be quite useful. Add IFTTT, even more so. Though, searching around SensorPush has been talking about that for quite some time. So hereā€™s to keeping the fingers crossed.

p.s. On that note, would you be willing to put together a short introductory write up thread on IFTTT? You know, the features, what you can do with it, types of devices that are available, how it could be useful, advantage/disadvantages from your viewpoint? I havenā€™t seen much discussion about IFTTT and some folk probably donā€™t know what it is. This could be a useful service to introduce to othersā€¦

p.p.s. youā€™ve made me curious, what happens with the humidity in log homes?

5 Likes

Logs shrink as they dry out - both in length AND diameter. If they dont ALL shrink equally, and they never do, it can cause all sorts of problems. Anything from doors, and windows that dont fit to big gaps where THINGS can get inside, to uneven floors and ceilings, to busted plumbing, leaky roofs, etc etc etc.

That means you need to monitor and control humidity in a log home the best you possibly can.

There are all sorts of interesting things you have to do when building a log home that are unique to that style of building, and most of them are intended to ā€˜tryā€™ to work around that shrinkage.

Log homes are very cool, but can be challenging to build - and - to live in.

This is the first Ive heard about IFTTT. It sounds very interesting and useful, so Id love to find out more.

5 Likes

I was also looking for some cheap data logger and at the end bought Inkbird Mini Thermo and Hygrometer for $20 on Aliexpress. It is disc shape 35mm x 9mm. So far it is working well. Battery life will be probably about 4 months. The only problem is that I donā€™t have any precise reference to calibrate it to. Inkbird Mini allows for calibration adjustment for both hygro/thermo meters (and humidity seems to be about 5% off currently). I has app for both iOS/Android. Allows multiple sensors in one app export of log values in csv for excel. It can also send alerts for user set ranges.

Temperature accuracy: Typical: 0.3Ā°C / Ā±0.5Ā°F, Max: Ā±0.5Ā°C / Ā±0.9Ā°F (Inner sensor)
Humidity Accuracy(25Ā°C/ 77Ā°F, 20%~80%RH): Typical: Ā±3%RH, Max: Ā±4.5%RH
Humidity Accuracy(25Ā°C/ 77Ā°F, 0%~100%RH): Typical: Ā±4.5%RH, Max: Ā±7.5%RH

Good tip! I should try Bovedaā€¦

10 Likes

Yeah, I am a bit worried about that myself. But if need be I guess I can always scrape the cloud UX. :slight_smile:

Probably a good idea. I use a lot of triggers in my house, but not a lot in the room itself. (Working towards that though.) I will see if I can get some time this week to type something up ā€“ itā€™s a very powerful system when youā€™ve got the hardware.

@anon32470837 nailed it. Logs change over time ā€“ even in a high-end home like mine with year long kiln-dried logs you can have issues, so I monitor things closely in here. Iā€™m also headed by propane fireplaces, so that dries the air even further. If I donā€™t add humidity to the house you get all sorts of sinus issues.

Totally agree. I always dreamed of living in a log home but never really knew or understood the challenges. Couple that with the UP winters and an avg of 10ā€™ of snow and thereā€™s even more things that come up. But I wouldnā€™t trade my solitude for anything.

I hadnā€™t seen that one yet, nice find.

Speaking of choices, if anyone just wants just the sensors and is not interested in the wifi gateway/cloud backup then you can also look at the Boveda smart sensor. If itā€™s good enough for cigars, itā€™s good enough for budsā€¦

For $20 itā€™s right in line w/ the Inkbird unit.

6 Likes

Nice, Inkbird products are generally well regarded. And, at less than half the price of the SensorPush, it is an attractive option. Based on the accuracy specification, itā€™s likely that they are using a similar/same humidity sensing element as the SensorPush.

Along with the Inkbird, there are also several other brands that can be found via Amazon with various features. I think I even saw one that is IP65 rated, too (however that works).

Primary selling point for me for the Sensorpush was the data storage length, battery life, and ability to push data onto the network (without having to be physically near the sensors). But, youā€™ll pay for that. And, if you need several of these, it does get expensive quickly. In fact, I could use a couple more of these but Iā€™m dithering over spending the cash. I will eventually. But I know that these must be on the higher side of what the market will bare when I have these sitting in the checkout cart for weeks on end. Same thing with seeds :smile:

Good option as well.

One thing Iā€™m worried about with all of these units (including the sensor push) is the hole in the enclosures for the humidity sensing element. I can see these eventually getting a bunch of kruft built-up. I guess time will tellā€¦

Itā€™s kind-of buried in their website but Boveda has a kit specifically for calibration: https://bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/calibration/
I donā€™t know if they use a different, more precise, chemistry for the calibration kits vs the regular humidity packs.

That would be awesome from someone who has experience using that for automating different tasks, alerts, and such. My only experience with using IFTTT is running network enabled outdoor lighting according to the sun-rise / sun-set times for my location.

5 Likes

My entire house is automated. From locks, garage door, lights, thermostats (2 fireplace / 9 baseboard), cameras, Harmony (controls TV and other AV), etc. I had been looking at the GrowLink setup for the room but might go the DIY route w/ IFTTT ā€“ then I could document that along the way since itā€™s a bit more relatable.

5 Likes

Hmmm, we made may need to talk at some point. Iā€™m working the early stages of a ground-up architecture for an open platform (mostly) targeted towards horticultural automation tasks / analytics. Would you be interested in joining in on a discussion on something like this (somewhat behind the scenes for the moment)?

Donā€™t let that dissuade the IFTTT discussion since that would be quite useful information. What youā€™ve got going on with the home automation set-up is well advanced beyond anyone that I know. A fundamental problem is that many donā€™t know this exists (or they think itā€™s too complicated)ā€¦

5 Likes

For sure, Iā€™m always open to chats ā€“ especially when it comes to geeky stuff. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m generally on OG Discord during the day too if that makes things easier. I work from home so Iā€™m in front of the computer anyways. Just let me know and we can connect.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks. Iā€™ll get back to you on this probably sometime in the next week or so, I need to generate some material to share.

1 Like

Playing with an LPC M3 devkit me too lately, to get rid of all the timers, temp/rh units I have to cope with.
When finished Iā€™ll see if it can be marketable in the price range Iā€™m willing to fill.
Custom board can be s relatively simple design so it shouldnā€™t be too expensive even in small factoring runsā€¦
DS

4 Likes

Iā€™ve used these guys in the past when a friend of mine designed a headlight sequencer/flasher. We produced a small run of 30 units pretty cheap and allowed us to sell at a decent margin.

I am sure you can get cheaper, but for small runs I really liked what they offered. (And this was ~10 years ago, haha.)

3 Likes