The story of Jacks Cleaner

Jacks cleaner was one of the best smokes I can remember from when I was a young lad. I’ve never been able to find a good jack or a good jack cleaner. Sad really.

This is a story Published by @Subcool in 2011 on how he made the cross. Enjoy✌️

Jack Herer is a marijuana hero, a man who worked tirelessly to tell the history of marijuana criminalization while insisting that marijuana be legal.

Now let’s take a look at a strain I’ve named in honor of Jack– Jack’s Cleaner.

You may not have heard of the strain Jack’s Cleaner, but among collectors of elite marjuana genetics it has become somewhat of a legend.

This is due to several factors.

The first is I grew it for many years before other respected growers tried it and let me know it was probably the best Sativa hybrid in existence.

In 1997, I had a gathering known in breeder circles as “Jamaica 1.”

Several respected underground breeder/growers met at my place and we spent three days toking, testing, talking and feasting on BBQ and southern food.

We had a unofficial judging and Jack’s Cleaner won every first place vote.

Now maybe the guys were just being nice because I tossed the gig, but I knew at least I had found a great strain.

So where did Jacks Cleaner come from?

I got my first computer in about 1994 (an Acer 133) and started looking for online cannabis information.

It certainly wasn’t anything like today, but it led me to grow chats where I met others that shared an interest for growing.

One of the first growers I became online friends with was a guy with the nick “Skoosh.”

We swapped stories online, toked while we typed and found out we both love ice cream.

He offered me of his marijuana seeds and we traded around what we each had.

He sent me about 200 seeds of a old strain called Skoosh that was pretty infamous in his circles, so I started cracking large trays looking for a keeper.

The make up of these seeds were Pluton, Lambs Bread, Purple Haze, and Northern Lights.

What mix or pattern these crosses occurred I am not sure.

Most of what I found was not impressive.

Super thin spindly Sativa’s and mutants with whorled leaves.

I did find a few that seemed normal and grew them to maturity.

Of all the seeds I started over a period of a year, one phenotype stood out.

It was a extremely resinous ultra lemon wonder.

It smelled like Mr. Clean household scrub, so I named it “The Cleaner.”

It had one poor trait, and that was weak stems and overall lack of size and vigor.

I had not yet read botany (and we all thought breeders were smarter than God) so what happened next was pure luck.

I had a Jack Herer male from Sensi Seeds that I was to lazy to kill, so I just placed it in a dark garage.

It refused to die, so I placed a small 12-inch Cleaner clone with him and she produced about 35 seeds.

From these, I selected the best female and tossed all the males.

That female was the start of Jack’s Cleaner.

Jacks Cleaner is a large heavy-producer with ultra white raised trichomes that give buds a gooey appearance.

It has an overwhelming pure lemon smell and taste I’ve never found in any other strain.

Just the speed of resin production makes her somewhat of a freak. The glands develop early and swell up for weeks.

I will attempt to describe toking Jack’s Cleaner from a clean bong.

The smoke is crisp and thick with a heavy lemon oiliness that seems to coat the sinuses with citrus.

It is a bit harsh and tends to make me wince, then the expansion starts.

If you took a small enough hit and don’t cough, the buzz is instant.

At first the buzz is visual and very cerebral.

Then the other side starts creeping and you feel as if you smoked some heavy Indica.

The munchies come on and after you eat plates full of bizarre food combinations you’re ready for a nap.

Once you are used to the high, it has amazing analgesic properties and a good friend said it was an aphrodisiac that helped him make love longer with his girlfriend!

41 Likes

Ok where do I sign up? Excellent description and a obvious winner.

9 Likes

Interesting timing… Was reading about his Jack the ripper today because it’s one of few plants with THCV in it. It has Jack’s cleaner as a parent…!

9 Likes

On the Jack note, Ive got this pack coming to me any day now. I plan on doing a co-op run sometime this year. There are supposed to be some pretty special plants to be found in these.

33 Likes

I ran TGA JackThe Ripper a few years ago and didn’t find anything worth keeping. All very spindly plants, no bud density. Smoke was nice though.

Here is a pic of what I grew. Not a great picture. Sorry.

Sweet those look interesting

16 Likes

Now for the million dollar question who still has this ?

5 Likes

Here is some Jacks Cleaner I grabbed in 2018. Absolutely :bomb:

26 Likes

I have J1 it’s(Jack x skunk1) x 88g13 . J1 hashplant it was a freebie from glg

4 Likes

Just got some :grin:

21 Likes

@Mongobongo Did you grow these girls out yet

3 Likes

Yes inquiring minds would like to know.

I also have some Longbottom Leaf (SFV OG Kush cutting x Jack’s Cleaner 2) I may never get around to if you ever wanted to do a backcross. They’d be in capable hands but I’m willing to bet you’re in the same boat.

6 Likes

I have not run them yet.

@vernal that could be a good Christmas time project.

7 Likes

Looks devastating!!!

R.I.P Sub!!!

6 Likes

Also ran one pheno of Jack the Ripper that looked like yours. I took it at 8 weeks, I may leave it for 10 on the next round. Hoping the other pheno I have coming up looks better. Hope all is well!

Stay Irie! :sunglasses::dash::desert_island:

1 Like

Every cross to jacks cleaner I have grown has thrown herm plants , watch em close if your playing with these genetics, I killed a whole room of ghost ridge og because the males were throwing hairs, maybe it was Mota but I had three boys and they were all questionable and one was full blown herm.

3 Likes

Yeah might be mota…srry to say I found out he’s not a trustworthy person…:man_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

I’m very excited to see how that tree of life turns out! One of my all time favorite smokes but never had a chance to grow her

2 Likes

If you look at the Phylos galaxy you’ll find Jacks Cleaner has it’s own cluster with Blueberry as a relative?! Wherever is the Jack Herer then one may ask? Far from Skoosh (Jacks Cleaner) and Sub just renamed another persons work as his own like he always did.

That JC he later reclaimed after all the years wasn’t the original cut, but it’s all good cuz Skooshing Skoosh just makes more Skoosh!

Truth be told, nobody wanted nor was willing to give him back the original JC due to Karma simply put…

As well this quote above about Sub not knowing her sequence is hilarious, google holds about 10 different sequences Sub said Skoosh supposedly used in backcrossing as well as two different accounts of what the mythical Jack Herer he used pushed forward into his imaginary cross!

4 Likes

Speaking ill of the dead much… Funny first post back?

4 Likes

Found a pack of Jacks Cleaner 2 and decided I should grow them, most have popped.

12 Likes