The year is 1999 and you're a fresh-faced teen in the Midwest with a gram of the latest "hydro" or "60/120" - What cultivar are you likely smoking?

Sounds delectable! :yum:

It was about 2006 for me, when the quality of chronic noticeably dropped. Everybody wanted mids back.

1 Like

If someone could create a strain that brings back the potency of the bud.

1 Like

3 Likes

I can safely say, I would never pay over $200 for a qtr/oz today.

2 Likes

But what this graph is really saying then is weed has lost 500% of it’s value since 99.

7 Likes

Super silver haze, skunk, ak47, jack herer, bubblegum. Those strwins were the best, and ssh was the first chronic i smoked. One toke and i was hoooked brutha! And the skunk smelled soooo bad

4 Likes

times were way different, cannabis was much more hard to obtain and way more valuable but now every state and/or country (Canada im looking at you :rofl:) that goes legal gets overrun and overgrown killing the price and value.

2 Likes

In 99 ours was just schwag or the much less common “kind bud”. No names yet :thinking:

3 Likes

I have to admit i skipped ahead to 2003 for my post. In 1999 it was “bc” bud, or as we liked to call it: “beasters”!

5 Likes

Christmas Tree, Skunk, Hydro, Brick Weed, and Home Grown were what was mostly available in my area. We would occasionally get some name cannabis like Durbin Poison, Northern Lights, White Widow and Sour Diesel.

4 Likes

Lemon G, Blueberry, Bubblegum

4 Likes

I lived in Europe in 1989 and encountered many of those strains when I visited Amsterdam. In southern France I couldn’t find ANY flower, but there was loads of hash - probably smuggled into Marseille from Morocco…

I was used to Mexican brick weed back home in the American Midwest. In the early 90s my friends started an indoor grow and were able to get their hands on NL5 x Skunk#1. That treated us right for years. I recently grew AK Bean Brains’ NL5/1 x Super Skunk for sentimental reasons and while it isn’t identical, it’s close enough to scratch the itch.
After their grow shut down I knew a guy who grew Blueberry that was delicious and potent. AK-47 came along after that. Prices were always $50/eighth, $100/quarter.

6 Likes

I know for sure brick weed was king. There was also nl which I think was interchangeable with bc bud. AK-47. Blueberry and bubble gum.

Edit.

I remember getting excited when I would bust open my brick corner and something that actually resembled a bud would fall out. It was like getting the toy in a cereal box.

5 Likes

Some of my first “kind buds” that had a name we could trust…Trainwreck, matanuska? thunder fuck(i always hear Alaskan thunder now), NL, purple nepal, all in NOVA for me, went back down to little rock early 2000s and they didnt even know what the hell I was talking about, just a stuck up city kid… It is insane just how much everything has changed in twenty-thirty years. This one took me down memory lane.

3 Likes

1999 was also the year of the GOATSE

4 Likes

For me it was 2003-04 in Western Mass when I was a teen who started getting into it and finding named strains that I’d still recognize nowadays, stuff like:

-original Blueberry (an ounce I bought of this off of a guy in the woods behind a parking lot is probably my white whale, the bag I wish I could find again)
-Great White Shark
-“Cali buds” that were probably OG of some sort that got shipped to someone
-“Purps” probably Granddaddy or Grape Ape, but maybe Mendo Purps since I know now that it was circulating in the region in that era
-“Beasters” foul M39 that was bright green, crusty with crystals, and had a basic high that lasted an hour or two at most. We always heard that it came from Quebec and was moved across the border on snowmobiles or dropped from a small plane IDK if that’s just urban myth but it was halfway bricked, so I believed it.
-“local outdoor” that I suspect were Chems given the area and time, and my memory of them
-“delivery weed” that people would bring back from New York, often from the original Cartoon Network service, all sorts of exotics, I remember SSH, Jack, OGs and Chems, Bubblegum, dunno what else.

5 Likes

That’s what the prices are in FL 600 an ounce. Or it’s Mex brick weed or Island Midi’s Fl was when I started growing myself.

4 Likes

Chicago 2003-2005 high school, Hydro bud or “dro” as we called it at first was what I know now to be the BC “beasters” type bud. Can’t say I know what they were growing.
My uncle used to get packs of outdoor Cali and even brick mexi back in 2004 (most definitely before then as well) but who knows what those packs could’ve been.
When you’d go to certain streets on the west side it was an open air drug market. And everyone would know which corner had the best bags, whether it be best smoking or biggest bang for your buck.
Cat Piss and anything Purple was popular from like 2004-2007. then the OG Kush craze hit us.
Sours and OGs then Irene ruled until around 2013-2014 when Cookies and the name game became prevalent.
Id love to know what I was smoking in 2003, unfortunately I wasn’t smoking before then

Cool thread

5 Likes

Sensi didn’t take over my region until 2010-2015. In 99 I was smoking old school landrace grown domestically. The old highs are still around. Most people today would be money it was laced.

4 Likes

In 99 I was in HS, I don’t recall much of anything w a name tied to it. It was always dank, dro, homegrown, etc. We referred to that stuff as 50’s. As in $50 an eighth. The mids were great back then, compressed bricks of green, very sticky and little seeds. Great prices on ounces- sell a few bags, get your money back and have plenty to smoke w the homies. Anything below mids was dirt cheap but not worth smoking.

I do remember Christmas tree bud and orange crush would come around every once in a while.

Didn’t get into specific strains til I got to college and the homegrown scene. Then it was all either beasters or had a name tied to it.

4 Likes