The year is 1999 and you're a fresh-faced teen in the Midwest with a gram of the latest "hydro" or "60/120" - What cultivar are you likely smoking?

They called it Kind bud in my region around that time

5 Likes

I had never heard of Christmas Tree or Kind Bud, In Illinois it was just “dank” or “dro”,

2 Likes

It was Dro, Mids, or Merch here in the 330. I remember getting stuff that was supposedly panama red. I do remember the hairs being super bright red in color. Tiny little sativa lookin nugs. We knew it was gonna be a good weekend when someone said they scored a sack of dro.

3 Likes

Yep, id say from about 1987 - 2002-2004 we had a awesome run in Europe. An seen some very high quality stuff.

4 Likes

Paid £130 for an oz the other day. Average price is the £150 mark here now. Used to be around £190 and during covids lockdowns some folks were trying to charge £230. No thanks :joy:

In 99’ I was 8 so was blazing these bad boys candy-cigarettes_1_820x_crop_center

8 Likes

Wait. Wut :flushed: 600an Oz where you are. Time to leave FL. Manchester is waiting for you :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ah so fructose is the gateway drug…:love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Exactly that :joy: a pack of victory and a Ben Shaw’s bitter shandy was a banging Friday night :100:

6 Likes

Back when 25p actually got you a full bag of sweets

2 Likes

Used to go to mike’s newsagent in droylsden and get a load of black jack’s and fruit salads for a penny each. Bet they’re a out 5p now and don’t get me started on that frog faced little bellend freddo prices nowadays :joy:

2 Likes

I grew up in Southern Michigan, near the tri-state area of MI, OH, and IN. This area also sits about halfway between Detroit and Chicago. So, despite living in a rural area, we still saw some decent smoke come through, IF you were willing to pay for it.

Personally, back in '99, I was smoking brick weed. But, every once in awhile, we’d get something that was dramatically better in every way. Sour Diesel is the first really loud bud I remember buying, but Chemdawg and Northern Lights both made the rounds within my social circle long before I ever spent the extra for a bag of “hydro”.

That being said, and growing up in Michigan in that era, Monkey Paw was talked about a lot. Anytime someone had a bag with an extra long bud in it that even remotely resembled a finger, someone would undoubtedly bring up “The Paw”. My best friends dad claimed to have actual Monkey Paw, although I never saw the plants and obviously I don’t know for sure, but his shit hit different than any other bud we smoked back then. Anytime Kevin (name changed to protect the innocent) showed up with a bag he stole from his old man, we knew it was gonna be good, and we always got everyone together for the session. Haven’t had anything since like '05 that looks like that stuff did, let alone hit like it did. I’ve had more potent, and even better than that, but nothing that feels like that stuff did.

Sorry for rambling. Nostalgia at 3:30 am can be a dangerous thing :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

We only had hash and outdoor until that one day I took a chance and spent $300 on some new BC imported primo. I had to move it at $15 a gram and did not think I would move any, took a lot of convincing each person. Everyone called back for more. It was awesome looking bud. like the first time, you see a gecko in real life. That was it, a new kinda smoke and price from then on.

2 Likes

I lived there 2001-2008 I live in PNW now 30.00 OZ everyday :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

$30 an oz? Can’t even grow it for that here :joy:

4 Likes

Lol we used to complain when it was 180-190 an ounce. 140-160 was average and 120s meant you buy a couple

2 Likes

Now that one just rang a bell, I do recall hearing the term “Monkey Paw” tossed around.

That and “South Bend” dro that my buddy’s dad would make an annual drive to Indiana for.

2 Likes

My dads guy, who I’ll admit I never heard use the word “dro”, lived just north of South Bend. And the stuff my dad got from him, to me, always smelled like classic “pot smell”, aka Skunk bud. But every once in awhile he’d get some stuff that was obviously different than the usual, even to my untrained 12 year (at the time) old eyes. Maybe that was the South Bend Dro you mentioned :thinking:

3 Likes

It was rare for me to ever get a known strain, and I was used to the $60/8ths. Brick was something like $20oz or QP for $50 (border state). 2003-2007 timeframe.

There’s a few times I would have LOVED to have known. There was one time an almost cherry flavored with a really euphoric, relaxed but “let’s go DO something” high I got. Wish I could find it again, that was my favorite pickup, only lasted a couple weeks. Spring 2006 (Since I may actually find it here!) For the most part it was all pretty heavy indicas with piney notes, an orangish or berryish terp profile on occassion. I would be browsing the gorgeous stuff on OG but never got my shit together to actually pull it off.

2 Likes

Red cherry berry this sounds like to me. Got it one time off a random kid in the street. Probably around the 2007 mark

2 Likes

Interesting! Is this a Barney’s Farm strain or did BF just knock it off from someone else? This was Spring 2006, so I’d expect seeds to have been sold ~2005 timeframe. I tried to use the Wayback Machine to see the old BF site but it won’t load because it was flash (which can’t be used anymore it doesn’t appear).

Skunk #1 x Cherry Bomb || Skunk #1 x California Indica

Perhaps this is going to get me into breeding :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes