Tinytuttle’s grow chronicles 2021!

And who doesn’t love Harley Smith?

4 Likes

So for us Co peeps maybe concentrating on boosting Brix levels will help with those early Spring snows we seem to get in May and even the freakish early Sept snows that hit the areas unexpectedly .

I won’t mention it to local hemp farmer though that fucks everyone’s grow up for 20 square miles!

5 Likes

Some stacking is taking place ! Yippee

Going to be scoping this little girls trichs should be getting close ! @Heritagefarms

8 Likes

Looking good Tiny, I cant wait to get rid on my mites and start growing some cover crops again and mulching again. Unfortunately it just gives the little barstards somewhere to hide off the plant.

2 Likes

Thanks for stopping in buddy! @Badger is about to put the kabosh on some mites at his place with some JWA, he started up a great thread and @monkeyman came up with a great online recipe and tutorial! Big mo eh saver that works!

4 Likes

Eye opening article bro. I needed that, thank you!

3 Likes

Today I learned!

If you’ve ever walked along an ocean beach after a storm, you’ve seen seaweed—probably kelp–lying tangled along the high-tide mark. It grows in long, leathery strips that are slippery when wet. Many times here on the coast of Maine, I’ve gathered dry seaweed with a pitchfork for my compost pile.

It’s always mixed with small mussel and clam shells, crab shells and claws, seabird feathers, chunks of weathered white Styrofoam, and frayed bits of orange polyester rope. I only pick out the non-organic bits.

Kelp is an amazing gift from the sea for gardeners and growers. It isn’t a miracle plant food, but it can be very important when used in combination with other nutrients.

While not a primary source of the macronutrientsnitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium—it contains more than 60 trace minerals, plus aminos, enzymes, and alginates. By adding kelp to your soil, along with the other necessary nutrients, you’ll improve your soil health, seed germination, plant vigor, sugar content, and even how many blooms are set and the size and storage life of your harvest.

Seaweed contains mannitol, a natural sugar that chelates or breaks down micronutrients and makes them available to plant cells. It also stimulates more lateral root growth and larger root mass. Furthermore, kelp bolsters stress resistance from disease, pests, drought, and frost; promotes natural growth hormone development; and stimulates important microbial activity.

“Kelp helps make plants hardier,” says Ann Molloy of Gloucester, Massachusetts. “There’s a lot of stress on plants during their growth, budding, and flowering stages. Kelp really helps with that.” And as for the source, Molloy says the cold waters of the North Atlantic are ideal. “The darker the water, the more nutrients in the kelp and the fish as well,” she says.

Kelp is available as a dry meal and in a concentrated liquid form. Kelp meal doubles in volume when it’s wet, which helps aerate your soil and retain moisture. It should be applied in the spring and fall. One pound will cover 100 square feet. Work it well into the soil.

Liquid kelp, on the other hand, is best used for foliar feeding for both soil-grown and hydroponic plants. Spray the tops of your plant leaves as well as underneath them. Apply early in the morning or late afternoon, as direct sun isn’t good. Foliar feeding every two to four weeks is recommended.

Excerpts taken from above articles hyperlinks!

Hope ya enjoyed!

10 Likes

Today I learned!

Molasses

Here’s a sweet thought. Another organic ingredient you can use on your garden is molasses. There are three kinds of molasses: mild (Barbados), dark (second boiling), and blackstrap (third boiling). Unlike refined sugars, blackstrap contains trace amounts of vitamins and healthy amounts of calcium, magnesium, and iron. Molasses should always be unsulfured.

Molasses is a very valuable addition to your compost pile. In addition to the minerals, the sugar feeds the micro-organisms in the compost and in your garden soil. Mix up to a whole cup off molasses in a gallon of unchlorinated water. You can make an even more potent mixture by using milk instead of water. Raw milk is best, but any kind of milk with do. Molasses mixed with milk is a miracle in the garden and greenhouse. However, it isn’t commonly used in hydroponics because its stickiness plugs up the equipment.

Using milk on crops and soil was an ancient practice that has been lost in today’s enormous agribusiness. Studies have shown that milk does work as a fertilizer, even for foliar feeding. Another benefit of spraying the molasses-milk combo is that it controls broad-leafed weeds and runs off any hungry grasshoppers.

“We’re big on molasses. It’s not just for plants, it great for the microbes—the more organics the better,” says Eric Olsen of NPK Industries. “We use the entire plant, roots and all, which has a good amount of iron. Our veteran growers have been using molasses a long time.”

Hyperlinks from above articles!

10 Likes

Today I learned

A Word on Worm Castings

Another organic option you might want to consider for your garden is worm castings—an organic form of fertilizer products by earthworms and also known as vermicast. In ancient Egypt, Cleopatra proclaimed the lowly worm “a sacred creature” and she made taking worms out of the fertile Nile Valley a capital offense. Charles Darwin thought it probable that worms are the most important creature on earth.

Even the late Robert Rodale praised worm castings as “the finest form of humus known.” In soil enriched with castings, microbial activity is 10 to 20 times higher than in just soil alone. Castings hold two to three times their weight in water, which means you can water less. Other natural fertilizers may have higher percentages of nutrients, but a plant’s ability to use them is limited because they aren’t broken down to the degree of worm castings.

Gardeners appreciate that castings are non-toxic, odorless, won’t burn plants or roots, and have colossal growing power. Just a handful will make your plants happy.

Here’s a quick tip: Earthworms love coffee grounds, so by using them in your compost pile, your worm population will increase, pooping their enriching castings as they go.

Source obtained from above hyperlinks

Hope ya enjoyed!

8 Likes

Great info thank you
I’ve been using kelp in liquid form for years my ladies love a little spray now and then
Paps

5 Likes
3 Likes

Today 2/6/2021 I’ll be supplement a bit of grandmas ashes from the Urn to help supplement the P/K in the current grow :crazy_face:… no not really but here is some of went through the rocket stove Yesterday!

Last years biomass from the outdoor grow!

1 Like

Have only added ash to larger beds (outdoors) nothing inside and in pots from what IIRCC so I’ll probably go with a teaspoon per 1/2 gallon pot and go from there … always better to go low and slow when working with this stuff very caustic ( high ph) moderation is best!

2 Likes

When the flames went down I got the hankerings for some canna infused brats ! Lol

Why not it was lunch time ! The only down side was getting a backdraft and filling the garage with a bit of smoke !

2 Likes

Was wondering about a past post (1-2) years regarding ash content of a whole slew of organic fruits, vegetables , wood etc and couldn’t find it !

Does anyone recall or know how I could find it again ? Thought I had I book marked but maybe my book mark list is too long!

@ReikoX , @DavesNotHere , @Shadey @Sunvalley

2 Likes

I had that list on my old phone… there are a few online but i remember one in particular was very thorough… I vaguely remember you sharing it too

2 Likes

Why do you want a refcactometer? Testing your nutrients?

2 Likes

Was it possible the nutrient content of different materials after pyrolysis?

3 Likes

Yes that was it @DavesNotHere pretty comprehensive outline of every thing imaginable!

2 Likes

Will be used to check Brix levels in plants gages health of the plant as well excessive nitrates. And such it’s outlined above in a couple post here
Post #120 and
Post # 121

Refractometer will be delivered today!

I’m more excited than a puppy with two pee pee’s! Lol

5 Likes