Tirah Valley, Pakistan Landrace grow

Tirah valley is located in West/ Northwestern Pakistan in a mountaious area formerly called FATA, ( Federally Administered Tribal Areas) , loosely governed until recently in a somewhat similar way to Indian Reservations in the US… with the area having a semi autonomous government.
The area itself was only recently added to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan (2018)and still retains a semi autonomous mindset.Federally Administered Tribal Areas - Wikipedia Always will I’d imagine. This area is most commonly associated with the strategic Khyber pass and older OGer’s will recall the famed “Khyber Sativa” variant from SSSC catalogs years ago.
There are two different populations of plants in the Tirah Valley region. The first is an amalgamated heirloom/landrace consisting of various imported genetics from the greater South Asian region, including, but not limited to Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and of course, Pakistan. These genetics have been thoroughly mixed into various different family heirlooms, thousands of which make up the local cannabis populations of today, with farmers continually selecting the type of plants they favor for breeding despite constant bombardment of pollen from neighboring, or even distant fields. Remarkable. This population of cannabis is famed for it’s narcotic, relaxing high and is found within the finest Tirah garda( hash).
The second population of cannabis is older, for sure a true landrace and perhaps the areas last remaining stronghold of the South Asian (Northern) Sativa that was so prominent until the 50’s- 70’s in neighboring Afghanistan. This is the old Khyber Sativa, still grown by the Afridi tribe like they have done for centuries or even a millenia or more.
So far, it’s the world’s most Northerly potent Sativa landrace that i have found. Reaching a height of 14+ feet tall outdoors, this one can be a behemoth if you let it. Most of you know how love my Sativas!!

Sativas…:grin:. Here’s the Afridi Tribe Sativa !

Special thanks to the Afridi Tribe for maintaining and @LandraceWarden for providing the opportunity to grow this famous strain!

97 Likes

beautiful just beautiful

7 Likes

One thing I noticed, a glaringly obvious oversight by myself in the Peshawar thread. It’s my own fault for believing what was written in an article without checking for myself if all the info was accurate or not. This portion of
Tirah Valley is South of, not North of Peshawar( Nuristan Province) Afghanistan, the reported collection point of the Peshawar genetics I reproduced (and am growing now as well. )
This will be a perfect side by side comparison of genetics from today and from 30 or 40 years ago from this same region. This Afridi Tribe Sativa is truly “Joe’s Mama” :rofl::joy::rofl::rofl:( forgive me. I couldn’t stop myself. Refer to the Peshawar thread for the meaning behind my witty statement​:grin: i love those puns! )
Here’s the Peshawar plants…offspring of my favorite Peshawar plant, a short and stout plant that just felt feisty. Like actor Joe Peschi. I affectionately named this plant Joe. Joe Peschiwar. .

47 Likes

HA!! I love it. :grinning:
:guitar:

15 Likes

A close-up look at first a bud off Joe, followed by a picture from the @LandraceWarden showing the Tirah landrace. Remarkable similarity.

I’m soooo stoked! As We are getting pounded with snow today I have visions in my head of Tirah Valley plants growing in the summer sun. Soon. Very soon. For now, we shall see how these do indoors. The best plants will be grown again outdoors.

48 Likes

Awesome find, I am so looking forward to watching both of these grows and someday ending up with them in my garden hopefully. I love my sativas but, you are the sativa King.

6 Likes

really looking forward to this :wink:

@Upstate thanks for all your efforts and contribution !!!

garda from old family lines - cannot be understood ; only experienced !!!

4 Likes

Very cool report, what is the flower time for this sativa?

4 Likes

This is awesome @Upstate i know a local breeder here who looks through some tirah stock outdoors here in VT and he said the plants were amazingly hearty for our northeastern outdoor environment. Not clear whether he grew the more sedative narcotic line or if it was the sativa variety you’re working with but I’m certainly i trigger as I search for a reliable outdoor line with a profile I like that I can line work into the future. Very interested to see your experience here, good vibes man!

6 Likes

Here’s a shot of the pheno he left out till late November with all those heavy rains and early cold we had:

21 Likes

"GO, GO, GO", my Friend!!! The “FATA” was my “Old Stomping Ground” during '67 - '68!!! Peshawar was the Home of an AF Security Group (Spying on U.S.S.R. and ALL the adjoining countries of the Region). You’re so right, was nothing to see 15+ feet “trees” growing. We weren’t tasked with anything to do with “weed”, that was their “way of Life”, you had to respect their culture. I sure do wish I would have foreseen what Cannabis was going to become. I could have easily gotten a 50 Kilo Bag of Seeds home. Can you imagine??? Youthful ignorance is an understatement. I know in your skilled hands, you’ll do them right. Continued success, enjoy the Holidays (if observed), SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

32 Likes

If it’s in your future to make seeds, Gimmie, gimmiePLEASE!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Is the effect also “sativa?”

3 Likes

Love those Trees Upstate!
I’m very interested! I’ve got some of RSC Tirah Valley that we’ll be trying outside next year at 43.7 N. Angus description says they should finish between late-September through October. I’m wondering if the NLD Khyber Sativa type, that it can express might take longer?

7 Likes

I love this

3 Likes

Another great seed giveaway @Upstate ??

Never heard of Afridi Tribe Sativa, in others words… I’ll take 10 :rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

Looks like a perfect match @Upstate
:100::dart:

3 Likes

I also have some Tirah Valley from TRSC that I am really wanting to look through next year outdoor. Looking forward to watching your plants @Upstate !

3 Likes

@Upstate
This expression was the thickest and stacked I encountered, not much lanky, but I do know if given a good root space this would be monster sativa.
Gives off a very wild smell of rose, pistachio and acrid smells.

34 Likes

This one is 11-14 weeks, ( correction 9-10 weeks) But I think pollen flows pretty freely over there, So the locals have to continually select to maintain the sativas. For that reason I am expecting some faster plants in the 9-10 week range.
The high is reported to be like all Sativas. Upbeat and energetic, similar to the Peshawar I just grew. A very good, very strong high. :muscle:

The amalgamated version will finish Mid September to mid October AT 33 degrees latitude where seeds were collected. Being 10゚ further North you can expect to harvest between 20 and 30 days later than they do in Pakistan. A rough figure for harvest times is 2 to 3 days per degree of latitude North of the collection latitude for those of us North of the equator. Reportedly after around 7 generations it will begin to harvest at your latitude at around the same time it harvested in its old latitude…i.e. mid September to Mid October. I recommend you do like I am planning on doing and force flower by August 1st and continue until September 1st after which you can leave them out.

Or perhaps these bad boys can even survive our nasty New England weather Without any special treatment🤔 That’s incredible @LegsMahoney. END of November in Vermont??? Was that this year? Has he sampled yet? Sure sounds looks like he had a sativa variant. Beautiful!

I had no idea you spent time over there in Pakistan @misterbee. From the pictures I’ve seen, it’s a beautiful, rugged region. Did you get to see the Khyber Pass?

That’s quite a sack of seeds and yes, I can imagine…you dressed up as Santa Claus with a big sack of seedy presents over your shoulder lol. Mister Santa ( Seedy)Claus😁

15 Likes