Trading feedback. Who to trust

The last couple of months iv been doing some seed trading.
What if someone trades you seeds, and don’t germinate?
Do you get back on there trade back thread and post that shit?
How far does manners go.?

2 Likes

That would be upto you.
What are circumstances, did the other person make it right or have a chance too.
Lots of variables into this equation, I’d suggest a different approach.

8 Likes

I mean I traded this person good seeds and genetics…!! And what he sent me won’t germinate

2 Likes

Yeah, try to work it out with them first. There are a lot of variable as @OleReynard states.

One is how were the seeds stored. I have all my seeds in cold storage but don’t know how the person I got them from may have stored them. I also have some older rare seeds that I expect will have low germination rates.

I may start asking about storage when looking to acquire seeds. If someone says they have been in a shoe box in the closet for 5 years, I’ll probably pass :grinning:

8 Likes

Yeah good point. I mean the seeds look good but…

I had some 35 year old seeds that I had saved that looked beautiful but even trying gibberellic acid and a few other things could not get 1 in 300 to germinate.

7 Likes

Personally I’d try to contact the person and see if they’ll work with you on it. Things happen, and sometimes people don’t know the germination status of every last thing they have stored. But many a good person here would probably be apologetic about it and willing to do whatever they can to make sure you feel ok about the trade.

10 Likes

Are these the bag seed you were wanting? If so youre obviously gambling on the quality of seed

2 Likes

Yea there is a trade rating thread, not everyone has one though and they must start it themselves…

But as far as users seeds that don’t germinate, how is that on the person that traded those seeds? If they knew they didn’t, sure but that’s unprovable and in the end there are countless more seeds out there to grow and many members willing to help people out to grow a crop.

They are seeds, the germination rate could be on them and genetic or the person feeling them and their methods used.

This is why we don’t police seed trades. It’s literally fruitless

15 Likes

I would know before I sent any seeds that they would germinate

1 Like

I would know if my seeds were bad man. I just don’t know how far etiquettacy goes around here

2 Likes

It comes down to a PM.

Pm the user “hey those didn’t germ” and go from there

9 Likes

I agree. One reason I started this post was because I know there are other people here thinking the same thing

4 Likes

Well depending on the situation that’s not always possible. Say you’ve got a 10 pack you bought from a breeder and are trying to trade. Well are you gonna open a sealed pack just to germinate a few? Even if you did there’s no saying you didn’t get lucky and germinated the only 3 viable seeds while the remaining 7 are duds. Also instead of having a full 10 pack to trade you now have an opened 7 pack.

With seeds it’s kind of a gamble. Honestly it’s impossible to say “I sent perfectly viable seeds” when there’s always a chance the exact seeds you sent could have all been duds. And even in the most viable batch of seeds there will be duds, it just impossible to know which are which until they germinate, or don’t.

Also if these were bag seeds then that just makes it even more of a gamble and that’s something that needs to be accounted for when making the trade.

In my opinion as long as you got seeds in return then there’s no way you could give them a down right negative. Even trying to call them out for being duds is kinda bad considering it could be the receiver just has poor germination methods. This is one of those tricky situations where the deal was completed on both ends and it was secondary things that are tarnishing the deal.

11 Likes

Yep. Your right. I agreed to the deal and I wound up shorted. Hands up and sigh. What can u do. Nothing. It’s cool though man. I know my seeds will pop

The seeds I gave I mean. They will all germinate

Man I only give/trade good product

My seeds will germ and produce

Any testers want to try me?

2 Likes

I think I’d just bite my lip and chalk it up to grower error or blame it on the postal eradication process they did to them it’s no guarantee I would touch base and let them know the germ rate was terrible.I’ve got seed that hasn’t seen the light in 10 plus years that I think should still pop .
Would I send it out to someone without trying it ? dam skippy I would with the disclaimer that there old-timers .
6 year old Jamaican seeds I just sprouted out of 15 12 made it .
It’s hit and miss a lot of the time I could of picked 3 and got all the duds and thought they’d reached there expiration date.
It’s just a number game at best 3 out of 4 duds on my drizzilla x Carmel candy Kush.

10 Likes

I would PM them to let them know in case they think they are good.

If there was no positive response then I would just not deal with them anymore.

4 Likes

Yep. That’s all u can do I guess. Shouldn’t be something to get to bothered over

2 Likes

Well I would be ticked off myself like you, but you live and learn who you can rely on for good stuff.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s user error with low germ rates. I’ve had people get low germ rates with my seeds due to soaking them and not putting them straight to soil or a paper towel. Soaking can lower germ rates with fresh seeds it’s better for much older seeds. I’m not saying that’s your method but it can and does happen.

12 Likes