TrevorLahey's Trailer Park 2020

well would possibly be good for dry extraction and or solvent extraction, but just a neat plant either way, it just likes to stretch out

9 Likes

Some good trich coverage on these overall

25 Likes

I had a somewhat willow DS pheno and I thought it was really unique and pretty. When the time comes where people don’t really have to think about yield I think traits like that will be sought after.

And regarding pruning I guess I always saw the plants ‘natural’ growth as ideal, but really these are domesticated plants essentially and they need our input to thrive.

“The farmers eye fattens the calf” :thinking:

12 Likes

Yo, Trevor…Greetings!! Where did you source those unique domes? Keep it OG!!!

4 Likes

They look pretty sci-fi huh? Lol

They are called cloches, I got these ones here at the dollar store (Dollarama in Canada) and you can find them in various sizes. They also have an adjustable vent up top which is handy. You can also make them out of soda bottles, one bottle cut in half makes two domes just make sure to put some air holes in the bottom half.

Just trying to achieve the best VPD possible while not being too cold and slowing growth. Pretty soon I can remove the domes and let the RH and temp come down a bit.

They help keep the RH up in the first week but I’m anxious to get them uncapped and exposed to fresh air. Its definitely not something you want to leave on for a long time.

9 Likes

My girls get a 3 week trim and a 6 week trim to open them up for airflow. The big fans usually removed at the 6 week cut and those tiny branches near the bottom. At every feeding from then on I remove intrusive leaves that are shading budsights. I agree @beacher that it is beneficial for the plant and definitely increases yield. It’s Spring time! Blessings…

:cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

Well said maestro! You have a great “grow philosophy”.
RESPECT…

3 Likes

Hell yeah! Those freaks are a lot of fun to grow and very pretty IMO.

5 Likes

People wouldn’t be growing tiny tims if tomatoes were $100 an oz haha, it’s still a really cool and useful plant though

5 Likes

Except the willows I’ve grown tend to end up yielding about as much as the normal looking plants. It’s basically a normal plant other than all the calyxes just stretched apart from each other.

6 Likes

Lookin good dude, great pics and you certainly have upped your budget.

4 Likes

More issues.

I really dont know. How come I’m always having these issues early on. My seedlings always start looking like shit, getting spots, burning up around the first week.

They’re all starting to develop these spots ^^

I know from past runs that next step is necrosis and then stunting the seedling.

Its happening over and over and over again despite changing all the variables I can think of.

• more water
  • less water
  • more food
  • less food
  • no food
  • switched nutrients
  • 20C temps
  • 30C temps
  • raised light
  • washed coco
  • changed coco brand
  • flushed plants
  • added domes
  • no dome
  • increased RH
  • decreased RH
  • small pots
  • big pots
  • transplanted from small pots to big pots

Anyone who has been following along knows I’ve been having these issues for over a year now and I dont know why I cant sort it out and am no closer to even figuring out why but it’s so discouraging. I said it before I’ll say it again my grow is cursed I cant get it right no matter what I do or how much time or money I sink into it.

6 Likes

Have you considered trying a different water source?

It’s just something I didn’t see on your variable list. Maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

5 Likes

Ive used water from a different tap, but gave that up quick because both taps have the same low 50ppm.

If you mean from bottled water or whatever that’s just not feasible, not really even feasible to attempt as a trial with all that’s going on.

Is your reasoning because there may be something I don’t want in the water?

6 Likes

I was mostly just looking at your list and thinking of other things you might try.

I was also thinking over abundant calcium, or something, but at 50ppm I think that’s unlikely.

All the best

4 Likes

What are you feeding the poor babies? They just look hungry to me. As soon as mine show leaves I start 5 gr MegaCrop. Good luck with that brother. That’s a stumper for sure.
Blessings…

5 Likes

Hmmm well that was something I thought too. The last 3 rounds where this has been a big problem I was adding CaliMagic at ~100ppm to a 500ppm nutrient solution both during my initial “pre-charge” watering and during the first week as the top of the coco dries out.

If I look closely the dark splotches even have a blue hue which iirc is indicative of a calcium toxicity.

Idk how or if I can fix it now especially if you understand the properties of coco and its ability to lock onto calcium ions.

Tonight I thought the best option was to flush the plants then feed them a normal week 1 nutrient solution but that above pic is what I came back to only a couple hrs after doing so!

4 Likes

I feed MaxiBloom at half strength of the Lucas Formula for week 1 then go to full strength in week 2.

I was having similar issues with Megacrop too, though not these black splotches.

7 Likes

In my limited experience using straight coco i have came to the determintation that watering daily and the ph of the water you are feeding matters very much so. As coco has virtually no ph buffering ability. When the pots sit for a couple days without watering the ph starts to drift quite drastically. Daily waterings until 20 percent runoff with correct ph feeding is required in my opinion. I would be running hempys if using coco. Coco is a pain in the ass in my opinion. Good luck. Im hoping for ya. Im sure its a stressful situation.

11 Likes

Thanks for the input @Grohio.

It makes a lot of sense. These issues always happen around day 5-10 and have been happening for about a year now.

It wasn’t happening when I ran my automatic watering systems from day 1, back in my old 2x2.

It also wasnt happening when I only lightly watered around the seedlings with a turkey baster instead of saturating the coco initially but that method caused other issues that were just as impactful.

Last night I did a flush with fresh 800ppm nutrient solution at 5.8pH but things are way worse today and it’s getting bad on the other seedlings too.

Would hempy buckets not have the same issue? It’s just a wicking system which from my research can still lead to salt buildup and pH swings in Coco-coir, but also plenty of people who swear by them combined with coco so it’s hard to gauge. With a hempy wouldnt the media be wet from the start, and where new seedlings arent using much of any water/nutrients they’d still be sitting in old water for a while? And still have to hand water to runoff daily.

I’ve looked into AutoPots but I’m not sure if they’ll give the same effect as hempys. I just want an easy system that doesnt require me to hand water multiple times a day and deal with all the runoff. Also hate to be dumping 20% of all water and nutrients I use down the drain.

8 Likes