Trichome Microscopy šŸ”¬ Harvest Timing Science

Meh, they all feel the same. I took a small piece of parchment to test for stick. I used a single finger to squeeze and rub the bud, then I stuck the parchment to it and counted the seconds it could defy gravity.
Each plant has a vastly different hash yield though.

3 Likes

I find a lot do feel the same. The greasy flowers Iā€™ve seen recently though, are from triangle kush and the chem91.

Iā€™ve not really seen many if any greasy flowers in stuff like nl, haze, blueberry, etc. least recently anyways.

1 Like

Maybeā€¦.

If we assume that preservation of trichome caps is paramount, yes any leakage is a loss. Hash makers would completely agree with this I suspect. They want rugged caps to wash/sift.

But a lot of people include the sensory experience of opening a jar in the overall ā€œWhat quality means to meā€ and I cannot blame them one bit. They may want to be assaulted by evaporating terps, and covered in greasy resin.

So really I think flower, jarred, for the ritual of opening, grinding, consumingā€¦ thatā€™s where we might want a nice sticky/greasy experience. Sensory adders! For hash, we might want the caps more intact.

All of this stuff exists within the margins and is really the upper 99th percentile of quality difference to most of us, me included, itā€™s all good in the end!!

BTW I greened-out for the first time in a lonnnng while off of one hit of Bodhiā€™s Lazy Lightning. The lemon cleaning agent terps are too much. I start thinking that maybeā€¦ maybe too much terp isnā€™t a good thing. Especially if thereā€™s something my body isnā€™t agreeing with!

5 Likes

I know why you mean about your olfactory senses and ritual being a part of the effects. My climate shifts a lot between winter (cold/dry) and summer (hot/humid) and depending on what time of year bud is grown and dried, I believe, makes a difference on the level of smell coming off the buds. The winter crops always smell less and it makes me feel like the bud is lacking somehow when it is mostly likely exactly the same or very similar. By my reasoning the buds should be ā€œstrongerā€ somehow but itā€™s not the case in my perception of the experience

I think about this a lot. I spend a lot of time cultivating and protecting trichomes and then I grind the crap out of them at the last minute :joy:

1 Like

Ha yep, all that work ground into a resinous slurry. Weā€™re all just practicing mandala sand art :yum:

4 Likes

@BigDaddyDrew try this thread.

Also for pics most cameras on phone have a micro function that will let you get very close pic.
Iā€™m seeing a lot of white pistils. Imo needs some time but Iā€™m a noob myself.

4 Likes

thanks man!, I know that thread, but after reading all of this one- I had the shots on my phone and made a qwik postā€¦ I too decided to keep waiting. BTW- I never grind cannabis.

4 Likes

Heh yeah I much prefer to break or tear little pieces off and put that in my pipe and smoke it. Feel like I get higher than if I grind it up. My wife grinds the crap out of everything though :joy:

3 Likes

You and Tupac! Iā€™ll bite. Why?

1 Like

Iā€™m just chuckeling over this whole side trackā€¦ Sorry.:smirk: There is no hook, it wasnā€™t baitā€¦just a random commentā€¦but true nonethelessā€¦we used to clean pot on frisbees and album coversā€¦ I guess I never saw the needā€¦these days a lot goes into a one hitterā€¦ so no particular reason. I didnā€™t even have a grinder till I confiscated it from my kidā€‹:sob:

2 Likes

I found the image noise source was actually the image stacking that the software uses. Ahhh itā€™s because Iā€™m too lazy to do the stacking myself.

1 Like

:grin: that makes sense!! I know a few people who say they prefer the smoke (flavor, burn) from just breaking up the flower compared to grinding, while one buddy would say itā€™s disrespectful to the plant!!

2 Likes

This is where the strategic manipulation of stress triggers comes into play. As i understand it, genetics will certainly determine the potential, but flipping the dip switches determines if you see it fulfilled or not. My next dabble into this is a refinement of a happy accident of sorts. This may sound odd, but itā€™s going to be somewhat of cannibus acupuncture. I have chitin rich pins I intend on embedding in the branches. Theory at work is that the plant will interpret the mechanical and chemical stimuli of multiple chitin laced punctures as a full on insect attack and turn on the resin. Shoukd be a fun experiment anyway.

8 Likes

I just saw an article about using microstresses to increase cannabis quality/production. I think it was just a review article, but it means the research side is looking into this!!

I will try and post a link to it later, but if you Google scholar eustress and cannabis it should pop up!

5 Likes

10 years of research went into this post.
There is some good info here.
If you find anything that is not in that post please send me a link so I can review it.
@Cannacryptic have you reviewed this information yet?

7 Likes

Figured id cross link my post <3 Got some interesting looking trichomes here, notice how in one of the pictures it looks like a very long tall hair but it has a head on the top. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

heh heh thatā€™s an optical illusion. The long hair is a unicellular trichome thatā€™s touching a capitate one, or really close to it.

2 Likes

@LD50
Proof that tricomes are cannabalistic?.. :astonished:

4 Likes

I donā€™t know how I missed this tag! Iā€™m sorry brother, thank you for sharing this, it looks to be packed with good info. I will spend more time this evening digging into it. Fascinating stuff. Reminds me of something my Grandfather said once while I going through some shit.
ā€œSon, nothing grand or life changing happens in your comfort zone.ā€ He may be on to something

1 Like

Soā€¦ What is this called? Bulbous trichome? Why is it so large?

1 Like