Trichome Microscopy šŸ”¬ Harvest Timing Science

A bit different, from most.
I will yank out a plant from flower, that is simply sitting in the light, after all her buds are packed on and she is just waiting for me to see a few ambers in the eye loupe.
There is a 10 day to 2 + week window I can see now, when I pull her from the light, set her pot in another area, and let her dark finish. At this point, (IMHO) ripeness will happen, with or without light.
This allows me to bring more younger plants into the light, and not spend another 10 day to 2 weeks sucking up expensive light, it does not really need, as ripening will take place.
Just my way!!

6 Likes

BANG ON!! What a great way to look at it!

I will soon, I harvested half of the Barneyā€™s Farm LSD w/ clear trichs, and the rest will be taken with mostly amber. Iā€™m also buying this microscope for the effort:

8 Likes

@JoeCrowe may, dunno?

3 Likes

I donā€™t care much about studies, since this is growing not math, we cannot expect the same results with different variables.

I have been a early harvester until last run, because I read that kind of info and I was hurrying to chop, and last run I did things well and it is another high, I prefer some 30pct ambar trics to harvest, you will get more out of each nug as compared if you harvest early.

This is it for me, you may like it different but while trics are changing from milky to ambar, the buds increase size too, not much but something is better than nothing.

1 Like

You better inform Utah State University to suspend their decadeā€™s long research programsā€¦ theyā€™ve been under the assumption that the natural world is underpinned by mathematics.

Yield dilution!

1 Like

hah hah thereā€™s some rando photos of trichomes.

9 Likes

What is the magnification there @JoeCrowe?

2 Likes

Sure looks like some rupture happening in a few heads.

2 Likes

The top photo is 10X objective and the bottom one is 4x. The actual magnification is probably 500 and 1000 times, as an estimate. IT depends on the DPI of your computerā€™s monitor.

2 Likes

Hello @ColeLennon just PM him so I donā€™t need to flag your posts for moderation.

4 Likes

Yes those Aggies require a lot of special attention and funding.

Are you suggesting building buds are diluted buds?

I think this is the image people want to see. Ancient trichomes that are wayyy past due.

8 Likes

I donā€™t have to inform anyone about nothing, their lives, their choices, if things deppend on what I careā€¦I donā€™t rule their or your world, I wrote I donā€™t care much donā€™t mean I am not aware or disagree, just like I donā€™t care much about politics.

Yeld dilution? Not familiar with that.

2 Likes

Here is a video lecture on the subject by one of the people who wrote that paper.

12 Likes

Amazing thank you so much @NoCal for this link.

Hereā€™s an attempt to highlight some timestamps:

• ~10:22 Zamir Punja states that this image of this sample of dried flower has ā€œprobably the optimal amount of THC and CBD and terpenesā€¦ā€

• ~12:00 Zamir makes an analogy between a trichome head and an electrically powered lamp (lightbulb). Here, the larger the lamp, the more light it emits. Likewise, the larger the trichome head the more THC (and other cannabinoids and terpenes) the trichome is manufacturing.

• ~17:30 Zamir tells us that the length of the trichome stalk is an indicator of trichome head maturity. The lengthening of the trichome stalk also indicates a ā€œsignificant increase in terpenoids and cannabinoidsā€

• ~18:00 We learn that the secretory disc cells increase in number, which increases the terpinoid and cannabinoid manufacture as a function of the number of secretory cells (which increase at the time of stalk elongation)

• ~19:00 how cool, cannabinoids flouresce under UV and this can be used as an indicator of cannabinoid concentration.

• ~23:00 Zamir gets the party started on maturation / ambering of trichome heads.

• ~26:40 we get a nice summary of the same stuff weā€™re talking here.

• Well, tell usā€¦!!

ā€¦he doesnā€™t draw conclusions on that last line.

Great study, cool use of technology Iā€™d say.

Thanks again @NoCal that was a properly fun time.

19 Likes

If you grow perpetually sometimes you have to take a plant earlier than youā€™d like. The vegging plants are usually the governor as if you have to give a flowering plant longer itā€™s usually makes the vegging plant uncontrollable once it gets into flower properly.
A lot of growers use the breeder times as the exact times the plants will finish. Iā€™ve had this fight multiple times with friends that grow on a big scale. The extra week or two will only add more weight so whatā€™s the problem?? Means more cash. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My brain says there is a problem. Trichomes donā€™t have a specific height they grow to, when they are done getting taller. I have grown plants with trichomes over 1mm tall and ones with trichomes 1/100th of a millimeter tall. The trichome itself undergoes a life cycle that you can watch and then time.

3 Likes

I had this issue before scheduling my three tent perpetual using excel:

So once I constrained the timeline and added some contingency timing, I was able to focus on other factors. Hope that inspires some planning to avoid the ā€œharvest by forceā€ issue!

5 Likes

You canā€™t preemptively make chop plans and expect to have good results.

Sometimes youā€™ve gotta do what youā€™ve gotta do but sacrificing ripeness for space just doesnā€™t feel right.

4 Likes

100% agree. In the case of the sideways waterfall chart the harvest is still taken at a time and date of the plants choosing. The schedule is updated daily and helps to keep things on track. It goes from plan to journal as the days progress.

1 Like