Truck repair issues

:laughing: :laughing: Oh yeah, forgot about that no dipstick and the lack of ease to exchange. Oh, and ‘lifetime fluids’ per the OEM.

Changed the rear diff fluid on a vehicle with ~3K miles:

Loaded with metal paste on the fill plug magnet. Nice and darkish:

Sure, ‘lifetime’.

2 Likes

As it should be, the gears need to break in. I like to do gear oil at 20-40k initially.

2 Likes

Yes. Manufacturer, you don’t need to do that. It’s lifetime or something like 100K.

I enjoy a good lube Mr. OEM.

3 Likes

Are you sure the gear oil isn’t listed in the maintence? Might be under severe or hard duty. It’s actually surprising what falls under that.

1 Like

Whats the year?My father in law just took his 2024 vehicle in and they have to reset something on a computer fro his brakes where do i get the computer from?

1 Like

I have a 2018 Tundra she has a 2022 Lexus. I ordered my USB to ODB cable off Amazon. I use a cheap old laptop, and i downloaded the toyota/lexus/scion software

2 Likes

It is. I’m providing an example of a very short maintenance interval relative to what the OE states. And, yes, the trans fluid, not shown, is considered lifetime.

2 Likes

It is considered lifetime until you look under to severe duty maintence cycle in some vehicles,obviously I haven’t read every user manual.

2 Likes

I think we are talking past each other. Change your fluids was the point.

3 Likes

Maybe? I donno, I’ve been doing the maintence on my wife’s and my vehicle since we have been dating and I’ve been able to do every thing so far. Sometimes I need to buy a brand specific tool or something like a usb dongle that some people don’t consider a tool, but it’s what it is. The tools have changed for a lot of stuff is the big issue.

Farm equipment, until recently, is a great example of companies not allowing you to work on your own equipment. That’s a whole different level.

2 Likes

Definitely change them, I personally do.

1 Like

My 1998 Ford F350 power stroke 7.3 has almost 1.2 MILLION MILES on her she’s a runner an will run for many many more miles lol

4 Likes

They will run for ever. I had a Mercedes station wagon 300t with 750k on it. Not sure what happened to the car afterwards. @Northern_Loki
I sent you a pm.

3 Likes

I worked for a logging company it was a crummy forever than they bought new trucks an my EXPLORER aka EXPLOADER motor went out had holes in top of piston anywho get dropped off at work n my toss tossed me keys an said here u go :hushed: blew me away

2 Likes

I know your pain there. Half the time I have to pull the motors out of my jet-skis to work on them due to the lack of space. Had to rebuild my 130hp outboard lower unit a couple years ago but thankfully, that was actually not so bad. But the engine itself, yikes.

3 Likes

2010 dodge nitro rt with a 4.0L v6.
Wtf was i thinking smh. Its the detonator model.

3 Likes

Oh damn I bet that thing haul’s ass what’s the fastest u had that thing up to

Yes it definitely is impressive, but…
Its discontinued/canceled model and unavailable engines/ parts

2 Likes

That’s a bummer so what u gotta do wrecking yard shop that’s gotta be a hassle of well it’s a one a kind though

Yes, and i figured i could replace all the bearings and throw a couple new connecting rods in it for cheap and smile about how good of a deal i got.
Then i googled dodge nitro and realized I made a mistake . But i love the vehicle and would love to find a good used replacement engine for it so i dont miss out on having the 4×4 and 5 speed transmission cause im pretty sure i can fit a hemi under the hood

1 Like