Truck repair issues

Sounds like a short to ground. Wires melted possibly or a light socket. I have seen both. Was the truck jump started backwards? Battery getting hot?

2 Likes

Did you try starting it with a battery charger still connected

1 Like

Now that would be cool as fuck a hemi under the hood

1 Like

Hell yes, would be bad ass if i could have the 4×4 with the hemi . Not sure if the transmission is same as the 5 speed they put in the charger but i do know that they are both Mercedes transmissions hmm I wonder :thinking:

1 Like

I just had that chore a few weeks back.

The proper tool like pictured above is the way to go.

Take a look at that headlight they put in, any condensation?

I had to pull that headlight as it took water, when lights on the dash lit like an Xmas tree and wipers would activate… drained and dried the issue was fixed.

Water and low battery voltage has stumped me a few times on Chrysler products over the years.

2 Likes

I bet they make a convertor kit for it

1 Like

That’s just a complete bullshit cluster fuck just to change a headlight

4 Likes

Hi, I think there was a recall on that steering issue because a friend of mine had one. Sometimes the dealers won’t tell you about recalls as they are “hidden” and they try to pull a fast one and sometimes the recall notices get “lost” on the way to your mailbox. I don;t know if it is in your case but here’s a link for you in the event it may help you,recalls are forever if you weren’t aware. This is for Canada but they will have one wherever they sell. As far as electrical gremlins ,dealers are mostly r&r and I would suggest finding an electrical specialty shop that deals in these issues daily,they will be faster and more knowlegable . Ram is known for electrical issues and fast wearing front end parts like balljoints, and the famous hemi tick, I have had a few rams. 100,000 miles is nothing ,I had a 96 2500 2wd with a 360 I put 320,000 kilometers on it and it ran fine when I sold it and an 06 2500 4x4 I put well over 500,000 km on it and I worked the shit out of it…Change the oil and all the fluids frequently and it will last.Good luck

1 Like

so the factory update is to drill a hole or 2 in each light. :+1::see_no_evil:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

you mean new cars, not old ones. i have a 2000 chevy silverado with 350k miles and still going strong. well, had to replace some things and been driving with no shocks for six months due to shock mounts that need welded on (sunday project) but the dam thing rides pretty good without them actually.

pretty sure you didn’t do that, read it again. usually it specifies mediation before a lawsuit but there is always recourse. talk to a lawyer with a free consultation. i’ve heard of contracts with clauses like that get struck down, but it varies widely by state.

3 Likes

This is why I drive an 88’ k1500. She may have her quirks, but I can fix on my own for next to nothing. Minimal electrical. New vehicles are made to hurt your soul…
Best at of luck brother.

Side note: warranty up? 2019 was 5 years ago

4 Likes

Yeah, no warranty.

It’s going back in today, we’ll see what happens.

I want to engage Ram in a recall/refund battle, but I’m trying to wait until the truck is actually fixed. I figure they’ll really shut down on me if I start pushing.

But at this pace, I’m probably a fool for thinking it’ll ever be fixed.

2 Likes

maybe think of it as an unhealthy relationship & she’ll just kill you if you don’t move on & find a younger healthier one :rofl:

:evergreen_tree: wish i could take my own advice

3 Likes

Dodges seem to go haywire at the tiniest electrical issue. Just a tad of corrosion on the battery terminals wreaks havoc when voltage fluctuates. Good luck

5 Likes

Still talkin trucks right?

3 Likes

I would love an older k1500 that would be my perfect truck.

4 Likes

Sure! And, dudes truck will run strong once he replaces some things and surrenders to accepting the other quirks too.

I had a '65 VW bug with over 370K miles, but I had to give it valve jobs bi-annually, change brake pads every 20K miles, rebuild both the transmission and the engine every ~100K miles. I also had to completely remove and replace half of the wiring harness when a short fried the electrical system :joy: I had an old Datsun B210 that had over 400K miles, which I gave up on due to lack of parts availability, a 1972 Volvo 244 that died with ~160K miles on the odometer, and an '84 Buick sunbird that died with ~120K miles… and these were with consistent maintenance and 3K oil changes. Nothing lasts forever. Yes, since the 80’s, manufacturers have been more focused on minimizing their costs, which lowers their quality, but even the most highly overengineered technologies have a maximum lifetime.

2 Likes

Did that once in life already :grinning:.

Life tip unrelated to trucks - when you are 40 years old and marry a 30 year old, it’s pretty sweet.
When you turn 65 and start dealing with all the shit related to retirement and healthcare, etc. - and she’s still 10 years younger (yeah, I know that’s how it works) it can become problematic.

2 Likes

I’m not sure where you live but I ended up finding mine in one of the Carolina’s, I can’t remember which one. I live in the north east so I needed to take a good drive to get her but was worth the trip. She’s not so perfect anymore, the north east is rough on vehicles, but I can fix most things on her for next to nothing. I was also finding some nice options in Arizona but wasn’t willing to drive that far.
Mine ran me $6500 back in 2019 w/ $163k miles, manual, being the k she’s 4 wheel drive, short bed, single cab.
She definitely has some quirks that are hard to pin point as she’s not plug and play but I’ve never had to question her reliability. Southern or desert states are where I’d look for one

2 Likes

She had 56 miles on her in 99 when I bought her. My daily driver to this day. Embrace the horror burn oil instead of gas.

6 Likes