tZ's spice quest: Thai Chi (ACE Seeds)

Hey OG,

This is my first journal here. I’ve been posting under ACE’s main forum over at IC, although I thought why not start this here too for you guys to ride along as well?

I’ve been mostly lurking here for a while now and I have to say this forum has a pretty appealing environment, makes up for a nice contrast with most of the rest.

As for the Thai Chi, I’ve acquired these seeds in 2019 directly from dubi, shortly after he released the variety. They have been kept on the fridge ever since and finally it’s time for them to wake up.

I got 6/6 to germinate and they are pretty uniform in terms of growth habit and morphological traits, with a clear outlier (Thai Chi 6) that tends heavily towards the Thai Chiang Mai side. She’s got mad internodal length, long narrow leaves and tips of softer green color, as you will see later.

I’ve made mothers out of the initial 6 plants and I’m running clones of each. They were allowed to veg for less than a week, then topped and sent to 12/12.

Unfortunately I couldn’t manage to have Thai Chi 3 clone in sync with the others, so I’m flowering it separately.

32 Likes

That is interesting trimming. I like the look/

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

Thanks @G-paS! You are referring to the mothers or the select cuts?

After 15 days, the first solitary flowers/pre-flowers started showing up.

The canopy is pretty uniform, showing F1 qualities.

Thai Chi 6, the Thai leaning outlier described earlier.

And a few closeups to finish this report.

29 Likes

Very cool, welcome to OG . I’ll gladly follow along. Look forward too seeing the fruits of your labour my friend.

3 Likes

Healthy looking plants :seedling: whats eatimating flowering time ?

2 Likes

13-14 years.

Just kidding.

They look very nice.

4 Likes

According to ACE’s description an average of 10-11weeks, though some outliers can go a little earlier or until about 15 weeks.

@Foreigner is onto something, #6 flowering time should correspond to his predictions. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

You can find interesting stuff in this genetics :pray: keep up the good work

2 Likes

Took some macros of a few traits

• Day 22 apical bud

• Leaf variegation, present in a few plants

9 Likes

What’s up OG!

We have pineapple, sour, fine woods and a spicy base note coming from Thai Chi 4 at day 32 of flowering

Her aroma profile stands out from all other 5. Currently she’s the one that mesmerizes me the most, as I keep coming back and rubbing her buds back and forth (you can tell from the brown stigmas, that’s not pollination, same for all others). I came looking for spice but it’s this very particular green pineapple funk thing that has been alluring me the most. A good reminder that one must not overlook what lies in front while chasing ideals.

Apart from this standout female, all others are quite promising and equally special as well. They are currently more or less homogenous among each other (1,2,3, and 5) in both their aroma profiles and floral development (as one could expect from a true F1). There are subtle differences here and there still, nonetheless. The number 6 is another outlier, a very Thai-leaning phenotype described on previous posts, and that is only now starting to initiate flower development so not much to say on her yet:

It’s been years since I’ve had such refined and enticing aroma journey, with all the spices and rare profiles these are throwing at me. They display a very complex smell. It’s a cocktail that has the freshness of pepper but not fully, something in-between a very bright bay leaf with a lot of fresh and sour. Not Diesel-like sour, much more the type of sour some green fruits have (e.g. unripe kiwi, passionfruit, etc).

Have a good weekend. Remember to take some thai-me to truly enjoy your plants.

11 Likes

Hey OG,

• Thai Chi 2, spicy and acidic. The leafiest and currently the one with the least pronounced aroma. Starting to purple up at day 47, without relevant night temperature drop.

Need to find a diffuser for that camera flash. The canopy is so intricate that taking proper pictures isn’t just happening easily.

They are currently a little bit past halfway of the process, at day 47 of flowering.

Thanks for looking!

12 Likes

A couple of pictures I was able to snag through the canopy, from Thai Chi 2 and Thai Chi 5, respectively.

16 Likes

That’s some glorious looking herb! :+1:

2 Likes

Nice bud and photography.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words peeps. I’m eager to sample it, though it’s day 52 out of minimum of 78-80, for the more earlier phenos.

Never had a pure Thai, though some of the best varieties I’ve had were mostly Thai/Colombian, like the Destroyer from CBG (Mexico/Colombia x Thai). They were pretty spicy and I’ve yet to find such good ones.

Has anyone tried Thai Chi yet? Or either of the parentals, namely Thai Chiang Mai and Kali China?

Maybe a test nug from the undergrowth, they don’t get much light anyways. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

your buds are looking so soft and airy, they’ve got some cool foxtailing going on. i haven’t tried the thai chi yet, but i have some seeds of the destroyer as well as some thai chi bastards (it’s a mix using Thai Chiang Mai x Kali China elite from ace seeds as the moms) which colorado sativas was offering. i’ve heard good things about the destroyer, so i was looking forward to running that one day. i’ve shared those seeds with other overgrowers, so hopefully we’ll see a grow for those eventually as well.

can’t wait for your smoke report!

5 Likes

According to dubi from ACE, besides #6 which is straight Thai with barely to no other influence, they are turning out to have mostly Kali China shaped flowers. These usually comprise the most interesting traits present in the line, such as these complex aromas I’ve been getting.

Thai Chi 5 displays slightly more Thai traits than the average, such as floral, citrus and acidic profile, as well as those hydra-like foxtails, having a balanced set of traits from both parents.

@highminwin Thanks for your words! Usually soft and airy isn’t exactly what most would like to hear. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
They sure are equatorial leaning, though the core structure of their inflorescences is meaty and there’s density there. Not like rock solid like OG/Cookies type of plants can be, that is.

They’re unique plants, dissimilar to anything I’ve grown, as I couldn’t find their profiles in any other seed lot I’ve sifted through. For that, the journey with them was already worth it and kudos to ACE.

Destroyer can be quite the electric/rollercoaster ride type of bud, so be aware! I’ve found worthy plants from that variety. I still have a pack of CBG’s original stock and a few crosses I’ve made with my favorite plant back in 2014.

Have fun with yours and share some pictures when you have them going!

8 Likes

The end of this cycle has arrived. It brought both good news and some unfortunate surprises… check them out.

Has a summer cycle, not the best growing parameters were possible. Given the chance, both TC4 and TC6 would require a bit more to reach their peak point of maturation. They were harvested on day 68 .

TC1 could be harvested by day 66, although ended up giving her a couple more days as I planned to harvest the whole tent by day 68, due to heat.
She’s all garlic and chives, pungent but not too reeking. Not quite the profile I fancy the most, but she could be a delight to some. Curious to test her on the mighty, never had such a defined onion/garlic type of aroma around.

It has a nice structure with stacked bracts of decent size, though overall in comparison with her sibs it’s nothing to rave too much about.

Thai Chi 4 … that was sad. It was the one I was looking forward to the most (the sour pineapple incense one, fuck!) but it went south during the last 4 days… throwing male flowers ubiquitously. This was after I switched down the the LED panel from 100% to 60% during the last few days, to allow them to mature a bit further without producing too much heat, as it was being detrimental. I sense there’s a connection here, but future cycles will be required to clear that out.
Since her profile really had me mesmerized I will give her future chances. with better growing conditions, but the susceptibility is there. (No other sibling responded the same)
She has a nice structure and could have gone a week or maybe even two longer. I think she would have swell up, in a similar way to that of #5. She switched her tones starting on day 40+ and turned out pretty dark. I predict that she would have become fully dark purple if allowed to mature properly as clearly she wasn’t done. We’ll see if I can finish her decently next time without both the presence of too much heat and the intersex trait expressing.

Thai Chi 5 . She’s has the looks. And she feels superior to her sibs on most traits: aroma, structure and yield.
Has a similar profile to #2 in terms of quality, that chieves/onion scent but now with more fruity and sweet juicy notes and a stronger woody base. In quantitative terms, her aroma is the most intense, and second to none in this cycle, so is her yield. The structural traits can be readily seen, though you’ll have to believe me when I tell you the aroma either matches or surpasses her looks.
Though she could have gone a couple days longer, I feel she’s pretty much ready by day 67.
Fat bracted girls, enough said.!

TC6 is the narrow leaf queen of the show. Lanky, super thin leaves, irregular and profuse branching with alternating internodes and lack of self support. She was starting to transition from that astringent sour and green smell to a more fruity, deep and also dark aroma (it reminded me a bit of TC4, hopefully). Not much to say, only that this wasn’t her time. She’ll have her show, soon…

As with them all, effect comes first and that’s what I’m most curious after all, despite knowing their full potential wasn’t nearly achieved this time and future growing cycles will be needed to sample them properly.

• Giving a general overview of what I learned about them with them until now (still haven’t sampled them yet):

1. Their harvest window started on day 60 for the earliest pheno (TC2) and the latest I assume it can go until the week 13-15 give or take (TC6). My favorite phenotypes (4,5) were around 10-11weeks, which is exactly what dubi wrote on ACE’s description.
2. Their aroma profiles are quite unique and special. I’ve experienced mostly an heavy incidence of garlic/onion/chives, with both sweet and sour notes present on them all, supported by a dark woody and slightly earthy base. It’s fresh with hints of lime/lemon too. I’m unsure if they will vibe with everyone, though the fruity types (pineapple/lichi with incense base) I’ve encountered would surely be neck breakers due to how addicting and complex they are. Again, it’s pretty on par with dubi’s description of them, so another point in favor of their work and knowledge of their stock.
3. Even under summer conditions I’ve experience anthocyanin development on all of them. I expect that both #4,5 and perhaps #6 would turn completely purple under a cycle that allows for cooler temperatures and a longer flowering to take place. They are hardy and strong plants, handling heat pretty well as well as high humidity, with only a few dried leaves and leaf tips. All of them had the need to be supported after mid flowering despite adequate lightning and movement of air.
4. I’ve noticed that during the 4th week of flowering, the lower and shaded branches developed intersex flowers that were removed. After removal and proper cleaning they no longer appeared, besides the unfortunate situation with TC4.
5. From the different traits I’ve seen present in this line, I’m sure plants with great floral architecture can be found, that are vigorous and that express traits that are both captivating to the eye and they are pleasing to the senses. There are expressions that enable the development of meaty buds that still have proper aeration, traits that are important for conferring altogether resistance to fungi and that facilitate a proper curing. The size of some of the bracts is immense.

Having saved clones from them all, upon sampling I’ll decide broadly which ones will be kept for future evaluation. Early to say but I feel TC2 is lacking and all others are worthy of a second run at least.

That is all I can comment for now, it’s has been a ride. Thanks for sharing this along with me and I’ll let you know soon how they smoke, or better said vape.

tZ

17 Likes

Hmm, I’ve been doing this as well, but I haven’t been ‘bit’ yet…

Thanks for the ‘heads up’, I’ll keep a sharp eye on that in the future.

I love your write-ups, they’re meticulous and well written… :+1:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Thank you mate, it’s a pleasure sharing this passion with all of you.

About the light switch, I couldn’t attribute any causation yet, but the timing is surely funny.

Let’s wait to see which one’s are worthy of a second run. I’ve been nibbling them a bit here and there, but giving them at least a chance to cure for a week or so before really going for them.

For now I can say the spice/bay leaf aroma of #3, the incense/pineapple of #4 (there’s also some blueish florals there, maybe lavender or rosemary) and the onion/spice of #5 are all evident and unique profiles. All others seem to be inferior versions and a mix and match around these same tendencies.

They are novel profiles for me, it’s always nice to stumble upon something you don’t know yet. This combo of Kali China with the Thai heirlom yielded special combinations. Though besides #4(the late intersex…), none seem really to be matching my personal taste too much.

We’ll see. :v:

7 Likes