tZ sifts the genepools

Hey everyone,

INTRO
Taking inspiration from @the_bot organized effort, I’ve decided to create this main journal to index all of my future cycles.

These will include me sifting through hay, selections, open-pollinations, random pollen chucking and all aspects of a closet hack’s life in its natural habitat.

To always share my most honest thoughts and reviews with you, despite sources of the genetics and devoid of unnecessary bias or alignment, as much as possible on my side. To always keep learning with and from you, as I compost and wash most of what I grow. I’ll make every effort for that.

I enjoy popping seeds all the time, from every source imaginable: be it top-of-the-chain breeders, landrace populations, my own endeavors, bagseed or fellow closet mate’s breeding affairs. From the hypest to the most obsolete varieties most don’t care to grow, everything gets to be grown, preserved and evaluated.

Exploring different populations, observing plants with minutia, cataloguing their traits, being ruthless with most and keeping only my favorites, reversing them, fucking around etc etc.

After being more or less active throughout other forums for a long while, and a lurker on a hand few, I’ve noticed the most positive interactions have happened at OG.

So I’ll stick around more and make it my home, if that’s okay. It’s a comfortable place full of great and knowledgeable folks, and I hope my presence and engagement brings you joy or whatever.

Thank you all!
tZ

CYCLES:

• La Bomba (LB, Compound Genetics): full
  • Pakistan Chitral Kush (PCK, ACE): about | veg | o-p | flw | crosses
  • A5 Haze S1 (A5S1, Karma Genetics/SHC): about | veg | flw
  • Purple Zamal x A5 Haze (PZA5, ACE): about | veg | flw | analysis
  • Runtz Ghost Train(RGT, Rare Dankness): full
  • FOAM (Umami seeds) intro

LIBRARY:

• Thai Chi (TC)
  • Runtz Ghost Train (RGT)
  • A5 Haze S1 (A5S1)
  • La Bomba (LB)
20 Likes

PCK (ACE seeds, '21 seedlot)

From a full pack acquired directly from dubi, 12 out of 12 seeds germinated.

Their growth behavior is characterized by short internodes (as expected from these types), only post topping was when they really started developing from their nodes.

Cuts of all have been made, waiting for them to develop roots.

I’ve grown this variety almost a decade ago from Cannabiogen stock, I’ve been excited to revisit it as I’ve fond memories of its unique aromas and flavor profiles, and a gentle calming effect.

18 Likes

ABOUT: Pakistan Chitral Kush aka PCK

An heirloom variety developed through many cycles of open pollination and intrapopulation improvement on a locally sourced landrace from the Chitral region of Pakistan.
It was collected in seed form in the ‘90s by Siete, one of the original breeders from Cannabiogen, and worked early on by them, until more recently by ACE and others.

It’s a valuable resource as breeding material, but also as a standalone plant. Despite having some hindrances of inbred lines, mostly associated with lower yield and growth rates, its uniqueness and other qualities are remarkable and based on my first hand experience definitely worth sifting through again.

It’s also known for having striking colors ranging from purple, black, red, pink and green.

6 Likes

I grew the PCK from ace last season I’m sure you will be happy with them. I crossed it to a few different things and look forward to exploring the offspring :grin:

3 Likes

CROSSES: PCK (during micro open pollination cycle)

I’ll be taking advantage of PCK’s open pollination to thrown in a few keeper cuts that I’ve in my collection.
This will be an half sib sort of mating, as I’ll only know with precision the female parents. The male side will be my small population of PCK males bulked pollen.

It will serve as a general test to see how PCK combines with my keepers. As this Chitral line is highly worked and fairly inbred, they tend to combine pretty well and throw quality phenotypes consistently.

Just having some fun while the preservation cycle is still ongoing, and I’m still assessing the qualities of PCK females. Later on if I can find worthy ones in this seedlot, those will also be reversed and combined with a select few and perhaps for some intermating and S1 work as well.

The keeper females that will share the preservation cycle:

• Thai Chi (ACE seeds) - TC3,6

• Runtz Ghost Train (Rare Dankness) - RGT4

• A5 Haze S1(Karma genetics) - A5S1-2,4,5,6,7

• La Bomba (Compound genetics) - LB1,3

As there should be a fair share of PCK pollen to play around, I’m also planning on dusting 5x Purple Zamal x A5 Hz from another cycle I’ve ongoing.

Few of the small cuts, D2 flowering:

D75
TC3

TC6

LB1

LB2

A5S1#7

9 Likes

Hey @Heritagefarms,

Thanks for your input. You kept any from your PCK run?

They should combine pretty well, let me know if you can when you explore their progeny. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Purple Zamal x A5 Haze (PZA5)

PZA5 1-5

PZA5-1

PZA5-2

PZA5-3

PZA5-4

PZA5-5

9 Likes

All looking healthy and happy

1 Like

D1 - FLW
Rooted clones going directly to 11/13

Living soil blend

Roughly based on Coot’s mix/Build a Soil adaptation, and comprises a blend of:
-Rice hulls
-Vermiculite
-Neem cake
-Kelp meal
-Basalt rock dust
-Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
-Calcium Carbonate
-Mycorrhizae

Leds are at maximum distance and at 40% power to allow the cuttings some room to adapt to sudden change of environment. Gathering info from a previous A5S1 cycle, I’m being quite cautious with high light intensity, specially early on.

D10

They’ve started recovering from the stress induced by the the abrupt transition from the dome propagator to the flowering chamber, and are showing new and lush growth.

Led intensity increased from 40 to 60%. They were under 220 umol/m2/s. I’ll take new readings soon.

Temps are ranging from 24 to 20ºC.

D16

PPFD=400 µmol/s/m²
VPD=0.81 kPa
They’ve recovered and are used to their setup now. Internodal elongation is happening at a fast pace.
PZA5#5 is showing leaf crinkles.

D25

D33

They were underwatered for a week, although they proved to be quite draught resistant and only minor damage to lower nodes that will be cut soon. Repot will follow soon as their stretch is mostly over.
Environmental parameters remain mostly the same.

D36 - Repot day (2L to 7L)

D45

D52

D61 - PZA5#3 harvest (mid)

Click here to continue (and individual review).

6 Likes

Wow, what do you use to root your clones? They look great. Much better than my attempts. I use the rapid rooter peat plugs in a clear shoe box that I mist daily sitting in the corner of my veg room.

Hey @HumblePie420,

They are vigorous growers, cool plants at this stage. They’ve outgrown most of the others sharing the veg space. I keep having to trim them back.

Funny stem roots trait, present in all 5xPZA5:

2 Likes

I used a typical propagator dome with an heating pad that has a dimer.

As rooting hormones I use clonex gel and the plugs are regular jiffy.
I place a tray inside the dome where these plugs fit, sitting on top of a good amount of perlite + vermiculite mix, to improve aeration and avoid waterlogging at the bottom. Also for them to have some water source to throw their roots at if the plugs get a bit drier.

I don’t mist at all during the whole stage of waiting for them to bare roots. To avoid any water droplets to sit directly on top of the shoot apical meristem (the top part of the plant).

You can easily get them to rot by doing so, specially with varieties or plants in particular that take more time to show roots.

Hope that helps.
tZ

2 Likes

Ahh, I see where I go wrong. I mean it still works but takes about a couple of weeks before I see results and never like this. Thanks fellow grower!

1 Like

PZA5 closeups (D16 - 11/13)

#5 - crinkle leaf trait

Most recent leaf on #3

Leaf crinkle on #5

7 Likes

Right on dude! I’m very interested to see how these pza5 turn out. Makes me want to start popping more sativas lol but gotta go to work :sob:
Good luck man, I’ll be watching intently!

1 Like

Nice to see you around mate!

A5 is a mysterious plant, and so is her progeny. I’m quite interested on both after running the A5 S1, and what a mess that was! Glad I saved cuts of them all.
Still have a few going at 100+ days though I managed them badly.

The Purple Zamal that dubi crossed her with is also a unique plant, and from an underrepresented side of the genepool.

I wonder how they will combine together.

I still have BA75Hz to sift through, and the rest is all C5. Will be running soon the Mera Mota (Mextiza x C5bc1) from our buddy @santero.

Please pop more, keep us entertained. :relieved:
tZ

5 Likes

Quick pics of the flowering tops at D33 of 11/13

They are stacking fast! Repot soon.

8 Likes

D36 - Repot day

Latter than planned repot. From 2L to 7L, hoping they stretch a bit more and make use of all vertical space available without running too close to the LED.

Individual updates will follow as soon as they stack a bit more flowers.

Hope you enjoy their kind elegant look.
tZ

5 Likes

Hey man, plants are looking great and the crosses you’re gonna be making from these genetics I’m sure will be very rewarding. Definitely gonna follow along and see how things turn out!

1 Like

Thanks mate, a pleasure having you around.

Hope you enjoy the show!
tZ

1 Like