Unlikely Crosses?

Ok…I’m on to something. This isn’t conclusive, but it’s a lead. I’m close to admitting defeat, but this gives me a little bit of hope.

4 Likes

A question just popped into my mind…do feminized seeds have a true 100% rate of producing females?

3 Likes

Heard somewhere 1 in 1000 may come out male. Was on a PotCast I know that for certain

3 Likes

Found another lead. Getting warmer…

4 Likes

@McMuffin Based purely on theory, there should be no true males in any batch of feminized seeds. There’s usually no absolutes in the real world tho.

I’m with you as far as believing the chance of hermies is absolutely higher, _on average,_in feminized populations than in regular seeds. If the female being reversed is liable to hermie under normal amounts of stress, there could be a pollen sack that would have shown up anyway.

I guess that’s probably just as true of the regular seed breeders as feminized breeders, huh?

(addendum: Awesome find on that epigenetics paper)

3 Likes

Please elaborate on the reason fems have higher probability to herm. The fem process as I understand it is BLOCKING female hormones. Not waking a dormant herm trait

3 Likes

Just a guess but I’d say some hormone expression is genetically determined, therefore different plants produce differently.

In people…

:evergreen_tree: boioioioioioing

2 Likes

Human error from feminizing untested females. It occurred to me that using untested males may pose the same risk tho, so it’s probably a moot point.

4 Likes

Yeah but more so in Ruderlis call it what it is ditchweed.