Upgrading for next grow

12x12 bedroom
2 x ipower 1000w hps/mh with wing reflector + 400w hps/mh(going to add a 3rd 1000w by the time I’ll be flowering)

Power: 30amp outlet(like for an oven or dryer)

Cooling/heating: central air/heat

Exhaust: 12" ipower inline fan

Going to have 5 Cindy 99 & 5 peyote cookies in dwc (might use the white widow freebie too)

Starting up the 2nd half of next month after I harvest these g13s

14 Likes

I would suggest running a couple different breakers. One 30 amp is kinda iffy on all of that.

6 Likes

I assume he’ll be running them at 240v in which case the lights will use ~5A each leaving 15 amps for a couple fans which is more than enough. At 120 it’s not gonna happen lol

5 Likes

You may want a dedicated A/C unit in the room, your main thermostat in, say, your living room is gonna have a hard time accounting for the extra heat in your spare bedroom, unless you get real creative with ducting.

Wing reflectors are the least efficient reflectors. Get parabolic “umbrella” or run those big square AC reflectors with the glass out. So much light is lost/scattered otherwise. If you’re gonna run that wattage, might as well make the best use of it.

2 Likes

Dedicated ac is something I’ll be adding in the future. It’s winter though so I’ll just bring in some outside air. The wing reflectors are cheap, that’s why I’m using em. I’m doing this on as low a budget as possible.

2 Likes

House is only 800sqft too so the ac shouldn’t be pushing to hard.

I figured 120 :+1:

1 Like

Oh I know they’re cheap, but the difference in yield will more than pay for itself in the first harvest. Buy it once if you can, not twice. Parabolics/AC really aren’t that much more, especially used. Lots of used equipment on Craigslist as a lot of people upgrade to CMH/LED. Lol 800 sq. ft house with a 144 sq. ft grow I like your style.

5 Likes

I’ll look into them, see if I can’t find a good deal. If not the wings will do for now(they’re like $15)

1 Like

Oh damn lol yeah it’s hard to beat $15. But A/C hoods does allow you to hook up ducting later for Spring and Fall when you can just vent directly outside and save on A/C costs, save on heat in winter too. 3K will heat your entire house for most of the winter except the coldest days.

2 Likes

@vernal I have been heating the back of our house and bedroom with mine, and now that I’m going to LED, I need to pay attention to my heating bill. I may be farther ahead to keep them in there just because they are serving a dual purpose . I thought I was the only one who also heated with their lights. :rofl:

1 Like

Nice, sounds like it’ll save me money on oil. Costs about $400 to fill the tank and the less I have to do that the better.

3 Likes

I had a buddy whose only heat source in his one house was the 6000 watts he had rocking in the basement lol. I remember watching tv in his living room in a winter jacket, toque and gloves and seeing my breath…he was hanging out in a tshirt 🤷

5 Likes

After trying to figure out bitcoin to order my seeds I had to switch to a seedbank that takes credit cards. Going to be GG #4 and Chocolope.

Few more changes. Got a good deal on 1000w hydrofarm phantom hps/mh ballasts ($50/ea) so looks like I’ll be starting with 3000w :smiley: (probably keep them down at 400-600 during veg) hope these will do for power

1 Like

Everythings shipped and I should be up and running in a few weeks😃

Its 240, fans will be powered from regular 120v wall outlets though.

2 Likes

How do you plan to run three ballasts from that plug converter? I’d recommend building a small subpanel with a dryer plug on it.

3 Likes

I’m gonna see if it can handle it. It’s rated for 8,000w and the power strip is rated for 3500. I’m on a really tight budget and I’m renting so I don’t want to do anything that might increase the properties value for my dickhead landlord. Dont mind tearing shit up though. My cats have already ensured that I’m not getting that security deposit back.

1 Like

That’s pretty tight. I’m going to again recommend a sub panel. Keep in mind the ballasts will often spike voltage as they fire up and go over 1000W consumption, so if you did put all three on that (not recommended lol) you should fire them a few minutes apart from each other so they don’t all surge at once.

1 Like