Using stills to make RSO and brewing alcohol to make EverClear from scratch

did you use that still yet?

1 Like

He is making a couple of gallons of moonshine first lol.

3 Likes

:laughing:heheh moonshine love the origin of the term…

1 Like

@Upstate it just came today. I am doing a water run as I write this. Going to go to town tomorrow and get some Everclear.

1 Like

Funny! in February I get the urge to have some moonshine while I snowshoe under moonshine lol. @ curiouscat… yes family emergencies are tough. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I’m glad I have my new overgrow family to help keep my spirits up.@ bullskinner… give us an update and let us know how it goes. I may end up ordering that as well.

5 Likes

@Upstate I will do just that. I was finally able to get out and get my supplies yesterday. I’ll try and get everything together later, snap a pic and start the process

3 Likes

Just remember to freeze the weed and get the alcohol as cold as possible and soak it for at least an hour to maximize trich breakdown and absorption into the alcohol. If you use your hands to agitate the mix, wear rubber gloves, and watch out for frost bite, the alcohol gets really cold after 24 hour’s in the freezer.

3 Likes

Will do just that. I have went over your instructions 3-4 times in “A Shady Spot to Grow” and it looks like a fairly simple process. I’m sure I will run into something requiring your assistance and will probably be hitting you up

2 Likes

Dried bud and trim buddy.

No problem just holah. Also remember to lift the still a couple of inches of the surface it’s on with a book or something otherwise the reclaim jug just doesn’t get close enough for the alcohol to go straight in it. Poor design with that part.

2 Likes

Which one did you order?

Keep us posted on how well it does. IM wanting to try this too, but many of the ones I looked at have mixed reviews.

2 Likes

I second shadey’s comments! I decided to forgo the rubber gloves while making hash oil out of alcohol in a rice cooker. I just kept using my fingers to screen out little chunks of s*** as they floated to the surface.BIIIIGGGGG MISTAKE! I didn’t realize what would happen to me until I took a leak after falling asleep for an hour or two. I was so high I could barely walk lol! I’m not sure if this would happen prior to decarboxylation in the rice cooker, anyone have any comments on this question?

6 Likes

Sorry I had to edit…to much information
This is the one I ordered. It has the adjustable temperature control. Seems to do its job. I have ran 4 batches of water through it. Hoping to start my RSO this afternoon if I don’t end up with the grandson for the night

3 Likes

Larry I can’t figure out how to show here what I ordered without showing to much info. It is the Mophorn 4 liter countertop W/ digital temperature control. I ordered off of Amazon and habe prime. Total cost was 116$ and some odd change

3 Likes

This is what it looks like

6 Likes

Need to get me something like that

3 Likes

Looks like a coffee maker! Very low key. I like it.

3 Likes

Thats the one Ive been looking at too. here is a link.

3 Likes

When you run it for oil set a couple of degrees above the boiling point of Alcohol. It may shut off before its finished because of the temp inside, I find it may do this a couple of times, so I have a look to make sure its not done, keep your face away from it when you open it, the vapour is hot.

Once cooled, re start it if it needs more, if you just leave it, it will turn itself back on to finish off, but I like to catch it just before its all gone, makes it easier to remove it, and finish in a small ceramic pot in boiling water, on the stove for the last bit of alcohol to be removed.

If you have a temperature laser gun use that to get the temp of water about 110F on the stove, but so long as its just on a gentle boil its OK, be careful not to get water in the oil, a little is OK, in fact Rick Simpson recommends a few drops, but a lot will make the oil frothy until it vapes off. If you dont mind a bit of alcohol in it that’s OK, it will just be a bit more runny.

3 Likes

Managed to get things started today.

I ended up with 14 ounces of flower and had 10 grams of kief I dumped on top. Never figured total grams but I will figure it all up when I figure my return. I have put it and the Everclear in the freezer and am patiently waiting until tomorrow

12 Likes

So am i, waiting till tomorrow to see how this works out for you.
Can’t get any easier than that and no flame?

3 Likes