Vaping Concentrates: When do you stop?

I’m sitting here, cleaning my dab pen once again, noting how much black shmoo is in there, wondering how much medicine I’m wasting. Let’s say the concentrate is 70% pure; one would assume it’s “empty” when only 30% remains. But that’s a really hard thing to gauge. I’ve been going off taste/color. At a point it stops tasting like cannabis and tastes more like… wax I suppose. The color has changed from golden amber to tar black, with a brown tinge.

So what about you guys? With vaping bud I usually would pull on it until is stopped giving any vapor, but concentrates seem different. Maybe I’m mistaken and I’ve been wasting half my medicine.

3 Likes

I’ve been left wondering the same before. I have thought that maybe the left over tar in my pen vs same concentrate in my honey comb not being as much was due to the tempature. So I’d always assume I was wasting a little. But I always compared it to say the smoke that runs aways from bowl in between puffs or few green flakes that get lost I’m the carpet that there was always going be waste. Have been left wondering what the exact reason for is and how much does that nasty sticky left over mess hold in it still or what does it hold in it. No scientist so have just tossed it and talked up as a part of the process.
I do prefer honey comb bc can control the amount to smaller and can burn Off the extra goo before next one and not have to see and taste as much.

2 Likes

You may be wasting medicine. It would take testing to know for sure, but the reason its basically turning black and tasting nasty is because the oil is leaching some of the stuff out of the buildup on the coil. The oil should still technically be good, but with contaminants from the residue left on the coil.

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking- owing to the taste. It goes from terpy to nutty/earthy to burnt and rubbery taste. I’ve only noticed a bad taste and lesser effect from vaping the black goo, I imagine this is basically reclaim you’d get out out of a rig.

I don’t have that issue with my Huni Badger. It is very efficient in that manor. Now, if you put too much on the tip at once it will burn off and waste it.

4 Likes

Do have to admit; that’s the next on my list after something without a battery. I love glass straws, temp control would only make it so much better!

1 Like

Only time I would typically have buildup is as suggested above when my concentrate setup is running to cold.

2 Likes

That huni badger is legit I’ll have to look around I may be sleeping on couch a few nights if go off and buy that

1 Like

Maybe your oil isn’t the best or you have your setting to high. I take a hit a unscrew my cart from my vape so it doesn’t keep heating it up. When I want another hit I screw it back on take a hit and screw it off again

It totally was the concentrate. I was using a waxy budder before. Got some sugar yesterday- goes from clear to amber to gone. Loving it. Just have to figure out how to make it at home now.

Yep. Works best with the harder waxes, but once you get the hang of it : gimme some sugga baby :v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand:

1 Like