Vernal's Basement Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Oh man, these look fantastic :heart_eyes: I love that structure, it’s like a menorah :joy:

I definitely agree, crossing into the SSC should be a solid bet to gain some nice structure at the minimum. Any idea what the high is like on the CQ? I’m guessing you topped the SSC’s but not the CQ’s?

1 Like

Hey lefty. … did the blkdak×cq give off any skunky

1 Like

It is like a menorah haha. I did not top them, or the SSC either, but I did pull the SSC down with plant ties to let the side branches grow. I really wanted to get them into flower ASAP so I didn’t train them as much as usually do. Time was of the essence since ol’ vern was on track to run out of weed! I hate buying weed almost as much as not having any.

I actually smoked some of the F1 Cherry Queen that @GrowHard grew a while back. Wasn’t super strong, pretty mellow. But it was big lol.

Tentatively, at this very early juncture, I’m planning on SSC male(s) onto:

SSC (F3’s)
Cherry Queen
Bandaid Haze
Super Silver Skunk
Mango Nigerian Cough F2

7 Likes

Nope she’s all or mostly done now but it was a sight to behold for a couple weeks there. These would be absolutely beautiful outdoors as well if you have a dry climate, just bulletproof plants. pH started getting a little low in the hempies, the SSC let me know almost immediately, I couldn’t even tell anything was off in the Cherry Queen and the pH was near 5.

4 Likes

According to my wife and another friend, it’s (surprisingly) a good daytime smoke. I didn’t get a lot of couchlock from it either, or find it disorienting or mind clouding. Smoke is pretty smooth, flavors are more hashy than cherry on the seeds from the mom I sent to @vernal. There’s also the fat cherry pheno, which has a stronger cherry smell, but the plant I had wasn’t nearly as good.

@Herbie will know a lot better than me, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Both sides of that cross have some musty/skunky smells to them.

3 Likes

Oh that’s very good then. CQ sounds like a good candidate for getting an afghan back into the NL genes :thinking: Should work perfect for the SSC!

I’d almost want to take the CQ directly to the bandaid haze too, maybe it’d work better than the Christmas bud IBL for what you’re hunting for? The SSC in there should strengthen everything in the BH though, so don’t think you can go wrong with that either. Gonna all be great crosses ^^

4 Likes

Indeed; I thought about it myself. It probably would have made a better partner than Christmas Bud did.

One thing I noticed though, in my limited sample size, is that the musty churchy soapy haze scent is easily overpowered by other scent profiles. It’s there, just more in the background. I may just need to run through more plants. The Christmas Bud cross was my personal favorite of the last pollination round, though. I still need to germ another 20 or so, to look for a haze dominant expression. They’re just so Christmas-dominant overall, I wanted something in the middle.

This is why I think a haze hybrid like SSC might be a better partner, potentially letting the haze scent shine through and not be occluded. C5 haze derived line meets A5 haze derived line.

3 Likes

Right, I totally agree on all counts there.

I was thinking doing the same with this NL5HSS I have and hitting it with some Starlite pollen for the same reason, C5 meets A5.

Should be some exciting stuff. Hope you can find a haze leaner in there asap.

1 Like

Worth investigating if you have them but cannot say.

I have seen a large number of males with that cross and I have but one female that was healthy and strong. Some of that is on me and my environment. However she is exceptional. The cherry is detectable in the smell when in flower. When dry it is like a cherry cough drop. When wet will smell like a magic marker.

Excellent evening smoke with large nugs stacked along the branches.

@HolyAngel I think Cherry Queen a good choice for breeding.

@Jamescoldflame The most skunk like smell I can remember was said to be Blue Dream. It did have that pole cat smell imo. Was a local cut on the gray market but looked like Northern Lights with those huge calyxes and airy buds.

2 Likes

Couple of Lefty’s Cherry Queen F2 at 4 weeks today. There’s another one in the back of the other tent I didn’t feel like pulling out. Skunky, pungent classic “dank” smell. Unsure how it’ll develop over the next 5 weeks but I’m sure I’ll like it. Didn’t need to top or train it, just a bit of a defoliation. More or less grew into a perfect candelabra square. Ideal for those to whom space is at a premium.

Super Silver Cough F2 (I think this is plant #20) at 16 days. Not a ton happening yet except stretchin’ but it should calm down next week and start budding in earnest. #13 and #20 are my favorites.

#9 looks like the former but a little shorter, a little lighter green, with closer nodes, I think that may be the SSH phenotype.

#11 (the weird one) I already killed off the cuttings. Reveg is always an option it but it’s 1/3rd the size of its sisters and very short nodes. It may be great weed but I don’t breed with weak plants. It was one of the biggest squattest plants in veg but just isn’t performing in flower so far. Several of its branches also became fasciated and had to be denuded. Just kind of a weirdo in general.

No matter, I got 4 more choice looking SSC plants behind them waiting to sex, and 8 more I just germed. Still got 20+ left haha. Dude sent me a bunch; it’s nice to have enough seeds to really play with.

16 Likes

:+1: I really like the smell in flower. I don’t recall it being especially skunky when jarred, but I like it quite a bit. It has passed that smell on into a few hybrids I’ve tried.

4 Likes

Yeah you never quite know what it’s gonna do until it hits jars, sometimes the smelly stuff cures to “eh” and sometimes the less pungent stuff ends up the smelliest. Always little surprises. Right now it just smells like skunky dank when I pull them out to water and photograph. Just odiferous greasy-to-the-touch plants in general, they were like that in veg, too.

I like the tall one the best so far.

6 Likes

Cherry Queen F2 “I”

5 weeks in, month to go.

This plant is somewhat between the “tall” and “squat” females. Smells like funky fruit punch. Bulking up rapidly and is very greasy. I may have difficulty deciding the favorite. Since they all have great structure and yield it looks like, the deciding factors will be mostly smell and strength. Still leaning towards the taller narrowleaf girl, she is already totally crusted with trichomes and has the strongest smell (so far), though it looks like she’ll have the loosest flowers of the 3, but that’s better for water hash anyway.

20 Likes

Those are putting on weight fast right now. Geez, compared to a week ago, it’s like a different plant.

8 Likes

Ya that thing is gonna be a football tree in a few weeks.

3 Likes

Just started getting flower nutrients. Hungry ladies, indeed.

I can see where people get the cherry smell, this one is more like fruit punch (which is heavily cherry-flavored). The squat lady is more of a nondescript classic sweet skunky dank, and the tall lady is the most interesting. Hospital, funky, maybe cheesy?

10 Likes

Sounds about like what mine smelled like. I really liked the skunky smells. It’s not at all like an actual skunk. I’ve never quite been able to put my finger on it. Maybe a little like the way that antifreeze has a slightly skunky smell.

8 Likes

wow those really fattened up quickly! nice job

3 Likes

Here’s my favorite (so far) Cherry Queen F2 lady, plant “G”. Also at 5 weeks:

Really can’t say enough good things. Should be outrageously large here in a week or two. This is under one 315 CMH in the 3x2 mini overflow/pollination tent.

25 Likes

Mmm she looks fantastic! :yum:
I love that structure. Looks like she’s gonna have some nice, long, buds, and cherry too? :drooling_face:

Really makes me wanna go buy a pack of cherry queen! Or pop these cherry unicorns :thinking:

3 Likes