Vernal's Basement Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Holy fuck!! Good to see ya Vern!!

4 Likes

Do it, dude. We had to go through a whole thing a month or two ago to get a lot of the crazies out, but they do seem to be fewer and farer betweener haha now.

More’ll show up. That’s just the way it goes. And then we’ll weed them out again.

9 Likes

Good to see you hanging out again. San is such a class act and he’s blessing me with a few things I’m really looking forward to working with.

4 Likes

Some of us are still here.

18 Likes

Bro for the love of god make another thread, we miss yuh ‘round here

2 Likes

I was just looking at your avatar @GrowTheAtlas, and also see you’re from the southeast. Your avatar pic reminds me of a stream I fished a lot close to where I grew up, the Locust Fork (of the Black Warrior river). It looks exactly like one spot I particularly liked. :+1: :v:

5 Likes

Oh thank god, vern is back. My mentor in harnessing the vital force of the plant. I need you to help me with my nutrients.

So far I have eye of newt, toe of frog, leg of lizard and fillet of fenny snake. But I can’t remember what you said and what words I’m supposed to repeat when I mix them.

14 Likes

I was just asking about wish I knew some fishing holes not too far…and boom…lol

3 Likes

You’re gonna wanna go full Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery if you’re actually serious about yields and vital forces

Someone’s gotta get stoned. Get it? Weeeeed.

11 Likes

Oh yeah, that river has nice big smallmouth but pretty hard to catch because the water is crystal clear mostly. But they have lots of big holding pools and you can get them there sometimes. I was fly fishing most of the time. It’s really beautiful there and a great place to get stoned and fish. Hardly ever saw anybody. I think I was on the highway near Locust Fork and Blountsville. I’d park next to the bridge that crosses the river… can’t figure out exactly which one… ha.

Hey Vern! Since you aren’t here much anymore, we sometimes come in like squatters and pilfer the place… smoke weed and leave. Just in case you wondered what the weird smell was. peace :v:

11 Likes

Welcome back @vernal !

3 Likes

That particular spot is at the top of Bald River Falls in the Cherokee National Forest. There’s a trail leading up to the top. I used to go there with my dad all the time when I was younger. One time in particular, the water was really low and I walked out to the edge. I stepped on a rock that was slick with algae and lost my footing. If it weren’t for another rock catching my foot, I wouldn’t be here today. Directly off the top of the falls is a huge slab of stone that I would have smashed against and lost my life. Since then, I stay well away from the edge and on the trail lol. I guess I’ve always been a risk taker.

5 Likes

Awesome, glad you were spared. I’ve lived in East Tennessee and western NC. I used to roam all around up there. Tellico Plains is a cool area and great fishing. It’s sad how busy it stays and the area gets loved to death. It’s still one of my favorite places in the US. :seedling: :v:

4 Likes

@GMan Yes sir, I’m very familiar with Tellico and Skyway and all that. Hell, we might even know some of the same people lol.

1 Like

Looking for info about Tobago x Chiltepin F2 by @vernal

1 Like

@D.Bizz those are hot peppers.

Tobago Seasoning Pepper. Very mild heat, strong lovely habanero flavor, scotch bonnet type pepper.

Chiltepin are close to wild type peppers. Thin skin, small, very hot. Look like berries.

The F1 were an accidental pollination of some Tobago Pepper plants. Most plants were normal Tobagos but one didn’t look anything like the rest. Tiny little red fruits, thin skin, super hot. The guy I got them from said they were growing next to chiltepin so that explains the difference. A little pollen from the chiltepin must have drifted over.

The F2 could be anything between that, though they were taken from a chiltepin dominant plant so I’d expect more towards that. I have 6 good sized ones going right now just waiting for the last frost date to plant outside.

12 Likes

Sounds like the aji dulces my Puerto Rican coworkers introduced me to: bright, can taste heat but not painful, very like a habanero or bonnet minus the Scovilles and very colorful!

6 Likes

Yeah seems like they are very popular in the Caribbean. Nice if you wanna actually be able to taste the habanero flavor. Most habanero sauces are either inedibly hot or use so little habanero you can’t even taste it.

I made a sauce with like 75% Tobago and 25% of the chiltepin type plant and it was still eye watering haha.

8 Likes

i grow habaneros every two years. these year i have the orange ones and some mixed coloured ones, chocolate habeneros and so on. it’s my favorite strain of chili.

I’d like to make Habanero salt: Put coarse Himalayan salt in a blender with one or two habaneros, spread the blended salt out and let it dry, chop it up and put it in the glass.

has a mild spiciness and the habanero flavour, good for bruschetta and other cold dishes. but also good on steaks etc.

9 Likes

Try smoked habanero sauce. Smoke or roast some fresh habs and use the blender to make sauce however you know how. :yum:

I think the first time I had it was in a small Caribbean restaurant over fish I think.

8 Likes