Virginia Finally Legalizes Marijuana

The only problem with that law is, how do they know what is an original container for my home grown?

Recreational sales are not until 2024. You can start growing July 1st.

Maybe we are suppose to shove it back in the seed casing since that was the original casing…lol

1 Like

Any forward movement as to marijuana legalization and or reclassification is a HUGE win Period.
To suggest otherwise is ignorant and uninformed. As these states advance, they place the federal government in a position that creates inequity and imbalance. That in turn creates pressure to allow change. To suggest that nothing should be celebrated except and until the federal government declares marijuana absolutely legal in every aspect demonstrates an amazing lack of understanding as to the way things work in the world. The gears of government turn very slowly, if they’re turning the right direction… CELEBRATE IT.

Never let perfect be the enemy of good

5 Likes

I do not think it’s a huge move forward. And that’s not being ignorant. That’s being intelligent enough to understand how the government makes things far worse. Do we really need examples ? Not asking for perfection, just a plant. And should be treated as such.

2 Likes

I’m no lawyer but I would think it is " the originally sealed manufacturer’s container" which would be a state certified distributor, which as you say is not until 2024, the work around is throw it in the rear seat or trunk until you get to where you’re going. Red eyes will not get you a DUI on the way back. :slight_smile:

Here’s the thing, by getting a med card or grow permit you are forfeiting your second amendment rights. When you buy a gun and you fill out the transfer form 4473 it asks if you’re using our addicted to any illegal substances, it’s been amended to be more clear as to federally illegal substances, which cannabis is. This bars you from being able to purchase a firearm and in most states that issue carry permits if you are barred from buying a gun your permit is invalid. In my state the person over the department of agriculture, the people that issue carry permits is anti gun yet has a med card and a ccp. She says she won’t go after anyone. To me that’s dangerous because the instant you use deadly force you to under a microscope. They find you have a med card and that it invalidates your permit. Granted it’s only a misdemeanor but that will then bring into question the legality of the use of force in it’s entirety. I would hate to see someone have a false sense of security because of state level legalization of federally prohibited things. Very slippery slope.

1 Like

The feds knocked off many many legal grows in california and ruined many lives. It’s not the victory it should be. Do well and get successful just to get popped by the feds because you made more than one of the state govt members and it’s all over. Grated it will ease the hassle of every day life walking around with a sack but much beyond that is still a crap shot. Not to mention the other ramifications I mentioned for those that exercise their 2A rights. Instead of being all hurray another state allows us to have a god given plant with rediculous restrictions we should be screaming at those in dc where real change can happen. Just think how fast prohibition laws works fall if reclassified it to the same status as alcohol like it should be. Then there would be grounds to get those in cages for the plant their freedom, and those that served their time records cleared so they don’t have a felony for a damned plant. Sorry if I got a little excited but I deal with the problems of a 25 year old felony weed charge even though adjudication was withheld. There are millions more like me, millions of young people striped of their rights for a plant. Nothing changes for the millions of us dealing with past problems until the fed gets it’s head out of their asses

I have been a guest of the feds in 1986 and again in 1994. Yes, they strip you of everything. I would love to see the feds legalize it, however I do not see that as long as we continue to vote 70 year olds into the White House. They grew up in the just say no era.

In 1986 cannabis had a 16% approval rate. How old do you think our late 60’s and early 70 year old politicians were then?

Approval rate has changed drastically, however our politicians views have not. They still live in the 80’s.

One of the biggest changes in approval is the older people are dying off that were the “reefer madness” or “just say no” crowd. Problem is, our political leaders have not become younger.

Want positive change, move the old gaurd and their antiquated ways out, and bring new blood in that can see the science, facts and economic advantage of legalization.

There is my rant. Like you I hava a few old ghosts in the closet. Only good thing is technology sucked back then, so they are not as easy to find.

Is the state legalization the fix all? No. However, as more states come on board, the pressure on the feds will increase.

Just my opinion.

3 Likes

I agree Ron… forward progress is progress. I will say I think politicians views are changing ( slowly). There are two giant motivations here. Money, and re election. We now have over 2/3 of the us population in favor of legalization. That means votes. Joe Biden has said he is “against legalizing marijuana “. He has never said it shouldn’t be reclassified from schedule 1, he has never said he would stand in the way of legalization. Subtleties and what’s NOT said are often telling. I’ve worked aggressively for legalization in 4 states… and I’m super happy about the obvious progress we have made. We can and will get more.

3 Likes

I’m happy about it. I’ve also lived here in VA my whole life. However, Daytripr69 speaks truths about the gun laws. I don’t want to lose my guns or concealed due to false sense of security, so I have to be careful yo

1 Like

Nor should you have to. People can drink alcohol and own guns. The government isn’t going to start there but with incremental change we can get there. Welcome stankonia glad to have your perspective on this as a Virginia resident

2 Likes

I refuse to stick with only 4 plants however… im 40 years old can’t think of the last time a cop of any sort was in my home so not overly concerned. Wife and I will be moving to a bigger house next year with actual land anyway

2 Likes

Up to 11 plants is a $250 fine. 50 plants is a felony. Sounds like 49 is the real limit…lol

1 Like

Very relevant if you’re a gun owner. A few things I’ll highlight from the VA bill in relation to your points. First, there isn’t anything in the bill which requires having to register as a grower, unless you are growing wholesale. That would mean you are supplying retail, or acting as a caregiver to med patients. In this sense, you are not obligated to disclose any cannabis use when purchasing a firearm. Are you “manufacturing” it as the Commonwealth likes to say? Absolutely, but it’s up to you whether you wish to incriminate yourself about your use. I don’t have a CCP so unsure about the ins and outs with that. Yes, I know it’s a federal crime to lie on a firearm background check. It’s also a federal crime to possess or cultivate cannabis so it’s a circular churn arguing either side there.

I’ll just say, I’ve had multiple simple cannabis possession charges, along with a PWID for the same. VA used to be VERY strict when it came to the plant. 14g or over and you were labeled a dealer. 5lbs and over got you kingpin status. So, it is a relief for many that only the Feds will have great focus on trees as of July 1. Personally, I’m staying legal with the 4 plants. I can pull enough to keep myself and my close friends supplied, and it will give me peace of mind. I’m not preaching or telling anyone what to think, what to and not worry about, etc. These are just my 2 corroded pennies to a good discussion.

If anyone is interested, here’s a link to the bill:
https://lis.virginia.gov/000/senatecannabisenrolled.pdf

6 Likes

I believe it’s up to 10 plants brings the $250 fine, but may be mistaken.

Edited to add the language from the bill.

1. For possession of between five and 10 marijuana plants, (i) a civil penalty of $250 for a first offense, (ii) a Class 3 misdemeanor for a second offense, and (iii) a Class 2 misdemeanor for a third and any subsequent offense;

2. For possession of between 11 and 50 marijuana plants, a Class 1 misdemeanor;

3. For possession of 50 to 100 marijuana plants, a Class 6 felony; and

4. For possession of over 100 marijuana plants, a felony punishable by a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 10 years and a fine of not more than $250,000, or both.

3 Likes

4 large plants is a whole lotta weed, with no risk whatsoever. I could work with that as a start.

3 Likes

2 veg 2 flower

Being from a neighboring state, Virginia screwed up my business plan.

1 Like

I believe that it says that an employer can not hold a failed test against you if you have medical approval but you can be disciplined if you are under the influence at work.

What’s most intriguing to me will be how they establish if you’re under the influence. Sooooo much grey area there. Most concerning will be how they weave these standards into DUIs for cannabis. Man, can’t imagine getting a DUI for weed….

With the current anti gun attitude in washington and many left leaning states don’t be surprised if it’s a tool used. People never used to think the cops would kick your door in to come confiscate your weapons on the unsubstantiated word of a complete stranger yet many states have red flag laws. Be just another tool for them

2 Likes