Water Gel Beads

Whilst looking at vids on youtube on how to keep insects hydrated I came across people using water beads.

Has anyone used them with their grows?

Some kid on another site says you can mix them in your pot mix and water them once.
Then you won’t need to water them again for 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any expierence using them?

Cheers

3 Likes

I think those beads are silica gel, if so I’ve used them mixed in soil in the past. They do retain liquid.

3 Likes

I got some aquarium plants shipped with the roots in those. I thought about trying them to ship clones out of the EZ-Cloner…

4 Likes

It’s a good idea, I remember a cloning kit that used that sort of medium fortified with cloning nutrients. I think it is no longer available though. It’s basically like a tissue culture.

2 Likes

I’m going to try some anyways, I ordered some when I saw them.
I’m going to try a hempy bucket.

I read on diff sites that some people mix vermiculite in with perlite to help retain moisture.
If i use the beads instead of vermiculate it should do the same.
Growing stealthy too so would be ideal if I could get away with not having to water as much

2 Likes

I love that idea,I can’t wait to see it in action

1 Like

Good luck, keep us posted. Remember roots need oxygen too. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

When i saw them i was like “where the fk have I been for the last few years” :sweat_smile: they’ve been around for a while now I’ve never came across them.

People use coloured ones on the topsoil of their potted plants

2 Likes

Does the perlite not help with that?

3 Likes

It does, yes. Just wouldnt use 40% like people do with the vermiculite

3 Likes

I’m just gonna use a little bit to start off with
Just experiment a bit.

I’ll do a journal when i get things sorted

Thanks for the replies

3 Likes

They’re are made of Sodium Polyacrylate never heard of it but the name sounds cool haha

2 Likes

I had no idea that was the name of that stuff, definitely a cool name, I just always assumed I was something a kin to soilmoist.awesome to know now

2 Likes

there’s a product called “soil moist” that comes as a jar of crystals that you can mix into your soil or topdress wtih & they turn into clear gel goo.

it’s been years since i used them for tomatos during a vacation but it worked.

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

The gel in babies nappies/diapers is the same, some people just use that.

3 Likes

YouTube is mint for finding out cool stuff like

3 Likes

They work, you can also get them in mixed color on ebay for next to nothing!

3 Likes

They can make the difference between a successful guerrilla harvest and a dead crop during a drought.
WalMart has these orange pads around the stores that can hold a full can of soda, or something crazy like that. Grab a couple every time I’m there.

4 Likes

The upscale florist here use it for flower delivery as it doesn’t “slosh” while being transported.

3 Likes

:laughing: :smile: :beers: :cocktail: :champagne: :wine_glass: :rotating_light:

…they leave the sloshing up to the delivery driver

5 Likes