Watering your flowers

Guys please share your knowledge about watering. how you flowering your plants? Do you flower it when it comes fully dry? Or you do it every couples days?

Simple answer is by the weight of the pot. You don’t want to let some mediums dry out completely. They will contract, and can damage roots.

3 Likes

I second this…

I aim to allow drying out (that is clearly beneficial) but never let plants wilt (then already some damage is done).

2 Likes

Always take great care when flowering your waters! :relaxed:

4 Likes

I flower every second day. Mists to the soil in between if needed. :wink:

2 Likes

I like waiting until the container feels lighter - usually every 2 days during flower. However, in the first week or two after transplanting the pot never gets lighter because the roots haven’t filled it out yet. You need to water anyway, the inner portion of the pot might be drying out.

5 Likes

And what about nutritions? Do you put them every time? Or as example once a week?

1 Like

The feel for dosing nutrients comes with experience or experimenting (observing plants and how they prosper). It very much depends on temperature, air humidity and size of the plants. Everything is relative - there is no strict rule. In the summer much more pure water is needed than in winter conditions indoor.

For beginner it is recommended to use “default” dosage written on the bottle. Do a journal, measure and log your nutrients. Go by manufacturer’s schedule and add plain water as needed.

3 Likes

That’s how i am doing it… I still learning to find out when it’s time to water them, at this point i had some leaves curl down and droop, but i didn’t know if it was because of too much water or too little…

Nobody was born knowing how to grow plants, it takes time and repetition. The plant will be green but droop from too much watering because of lack of oxygen in the root zone. (temporary, twenty minutes or so) It needs to be done repeatedly. (daily, almost daily)
Long term over watering causes root rot, beginnings are yellowing, droopy leaves that don’t rebound. The plant looks weak and fragile as this happens also.
Edit: This is in soil. Hydro is a different animal.

4 Likes

I think i didn’t water them enough actually because now, after 12 hours of watering them, they are bouncing back and their leaves are showing more color and life. Gonna take pics…

EDIT. They are in 3 gallon pots, i gave them 500mL with around 1.0~1.2 EC on Wednesday night and then nothing until last night at like 6pm i gave them 750mL… Dunno how does that look?

2 Likes

I still lift my pots to keep an idea of how much water they are using. I am using no till methods so i keep my pots evenly watered without letting the soil dry out. The earthworms will crawl out if it gets too dry. I lift them almost everyday. If you try that to make sure they are getting dry enough after a while it will be second nature. I have been doing it for decades now. So did my grandpa if that tells you anything.

3 Likes

No pictures. I can’t look.

I’m gonna post the pics on my indoor grow not to hijack the thread… LOL

2 Likes

I’ve used plain soil mix and added liquid nutes with every watering, or every other time. But now I use “supersoil” otherwise known as adding all your dry fertilizer to the soil mix at the beginning. I’ll occasionally top-dress a very small amount of seabird guano or blood meal for especially hungry plants late in flowering.

2 Likes

Determining when to water plants becomes quite intuitive after gaining sufficient experience.
I can usually see which of my plants needs liquid with a quick glance. To verify my initial hunch, I simply lift the container. This confirms the need to water.
After some experience growing the beloved ganja plant, this perception becomes truly second nature. You just do it automatically.
It becomes totally reflexive.

ETA:
I grow only in containers using an inert, soil-less medium.

4 Likes

For the time being and while i get there, if ever; then i will use a hygrometer with a probe to measure the soil…

1 Like

Hahaha, eventually you will become the “probe”… trial and error experience will transform you into an extremely accurate human “instrument”.
It is inevitable. You will learn to “read” your plants… you will become a ganja whisperer😄!
This is a beautiful occurrence!

1 Like

From what time you can water plants with nutritions? Becouse i read somewhere , what you cant water plants with nutritions in the begining?

Actually yes you can feed the from the start (I like using Plagron Startup for freshly rooted clones). Of course you are starting with smaller dosage for seedlings.

But in practice when using soil it is usually pre-fertilized so for example. Rich mix of Biobizz is used easily for 3-4 weeks of vegetation without adding additional nutes.