Ways to send seeds... WAY TO SEND SEEDS!

I’ve heard of pucks, if they are the 3D printed thingies, I both like and dislike them. It’s a good way to protect seeds, but at the same time I prefer to keep things natural and not have to own a 3D printer. I don’t even have a regular printer :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’ve sent seeds to many places in Europe in coinflip/card all have gotten to where they were sent.
I will continue to use this method as long as it works for me.

5 Likes

I understand but I think there are a lot of keys sent by mail, if the key ring is discreet… I guess it can pass…
Even if the mail is opened, it’s still just a key! :wink:

I’ll make an example and put a picture… to get an idea!

2 Likes

But it’s true that the small cardboard with a plastic seal to protect the seeds works really well in general!

3 Likes

I like coin flips. I do tape them to the top of the spine of the card so it feels like one of those musical birthday cards at first glance.

Or buy some pucks.

Or drill holes in something.

Or use corrugated cardboard or plasticor.

9 Likes

Or
How to safely send seeds across the pond
Or one of the other threads on this topic to be found with a search

4 Likes

UberSeeds - new business idea.

2 Likes

man I absolutely despise that corrugated plastic…

This right here.
I’ve sent out over 300 cards to europe and the rest of the world with 1-6 flips each without any issues. Every single one landed. Maybe shipper error or something?

10 Likes

Maybe you should ask people sending to you to specifically use different packaging, if you don’t want them to be sent using the standard packaging that most of the forum uses… seems like an easier way to get where you want than trying to change the habits of of the entire forum.

4 Likes

I concur. I’ve sent MANY flips in cards, all over the globe, with out any problems. The exception being Australia. That place is a bean eating black hole! :sweat_smile: Not really, I only lost a couple there but had 5-6 make it to the land of plenty.
:grin::v:

9 Likes

I’m starting to think my adress is flagged or something fml

Same, everything shipped to me in a coin flip has made it. Anything I sent with a flip made it. It’s under the thickness and weight for a regular stamp. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it :grin:

4 Likes

what if yer addy appears broke…?

I use the smallest box possible and send bags of unpopped popcorn along with the beans taped to the side of bags. probably not that Great for international/crossing borders but it’s how I feel good about less chance of damage or vanishing. never had a box not make it and never had damage to the seeds.

p.s. doing it the cheapest way possible assumes risks. eg. coin flip in a letter than goes through many rollers and squish points.

1 Like

I use coin flips and seed pucks, both work well. Not sure how many seeds you are expecting but international mail can take a long time. I see the op only joined in Feb which is less than 2 months ago so this could just be a patience thing. I would also submit if you are concerned about getting in trouble for receiving seeds that you just don’t do it. The safety issue is then covered.

8 Likes

Over 30 years I’ve been sending seeds in freezer cardboard. Damaged seeds zero so far.

I just sent out 20 that way. You can never tell anything is in the letters by feel. Plus it’s easy and free to find cardboard, and no paper trail of flip coins, pucks or vials is a good thing if you’re worried about that stuff.:dove:

23 Likes

You wouldn’t have to own a 3D printer. I believe several members make these type of 3D printed items for sale at a very reasonable cost.
@Bobgrows is one off the top of my head. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Has it been a month yet?
That’s my average receipt time in the Southwestern US from Canada.
Coin flips are effective, and have been used here in perpetuity, safely.
Like others have said, before there’s no reason to change something that 99% of folks have found effective.
Sounds like something you need to talk with your fellow traders about, but not an issue for the forum at large.

3 Likes

Yeah average time for US-Canadian shipments is 2-4 weeks. Seen it take 1 and seen it take 6 though.

US-EU is usually around the same but seen it take 8-10 weeks before.

US-AUS is like 2-4 months ime :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

As a recent recipient I can say GregOGs package was fantastic.

You know how in the movies theres like a hollowed-out bible with a gun in it? Same concept here - hollowed out cardboard with seed bags in it.

4 Likes