Ways to send seeds... WAY TO SEND SEEDS!

I use coin flips and seed pucks, both work well. Not sure how many seeds you are expecting but international mail can take a long time. I see the op only joined in Feb which is less than 2 months ago so this could just be a patience thing. I would also submit if you are concerned about getting in trouble for receiving seeds that you just don’t do it. The safety issue is then covered.

8 Likes

Over 30 years I’ve been sending seeds in freezer cardboard. Damaged seeds zero so far.

I just sent out 20 that way. You can never tell anything is in the letters by feel. Plus it’s easy and free to find cardboard, and no paper trail of flip coins, pucks or vials is a good thing if you’re worried about that stuff.:dove:

23 Likes

You wouldn’t have to own a 3D printer. I believe several members make these type of 3D printed items for sale at a very reasonable cost.
@Bobgrows is one off the top of my head. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Has it been a month yet?
That’s my average receipt time in the Southwestern US from Canada.
Coin flips are effective, and have been used here in perpetuity, safely.
Like others have said, before there’s no reason to change something that 99% of folks have found effective.
Sounds like something you need to talk with your fellow traders about, but not an issue for the forum at large.

3 Likes

Yeah average time for US-Canadian shipments is 2-4 weeks. Seen it take 1 and seen it take 6 though.

US-EU is usually around the same but seen it take 8-10 weeks before.

US-AUS is like 2-4 months ime :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

As a recent recipient I can say GregOGs package was fantastic.

You know how in the movies theres like a hollowed-out bible with a gun in it? Same concept here - hollowed out cardboard with seed bags in it.

4 Likes

I believe it’s been more.

I’m going to join in the band wagon and say I have successfully sent hundreds of seeds all over the world in coin flips/pucks with sucess. It is the cheapest and most successful method. If you are shipping rare seeds, perhaps sending with tracking is necessary.

12 Likes

Also had the cardboard cut out concept work just fine. :grin::v:

19 Likes

Somebody mentioned your tolerance for risk and that’s a good point.

Only you can decide what’s comfortable to you. There are things I don’t do, that aren’t a big deal, I just don’t do them because they make me uncomfortable.

Sending and receiving seeds used to be a lot sketchier way back when. I wouldn’t even worry about it but it depends where you are.

10 Likes

I like you @Foreigner . Thoughtful, balanced; let’s hang out more. :bear:

4 Likes

Hey thanks man, cheers. I’m down for a chill and am usually around.

2 Likes

I just put your thread on watching, I’ll stop in and say hey :bear::+1:

2 Likes

Cool please do. My thread is on a little hiatus but I’ll be up soon enough.

1 Like

US first class international mail limitations are max. 1oz (28g), and 0.25" (6mm) thick. (sorry, I forget the width and length…)

The ‘rollers of death’ can usually be thwarted with the 3D printed pucks or a hose washer in the coin flip or using Coroplast.
All of my stuff (as far as I know… :thinking:) have made it through… including Russia a couple of years ago…

Cheers
G

9 Likes

REEEEAAAALLLLY hoping I’m just paranoid and impatient. I’ve checked and it’s not like it’s been 3 months so in theory could still drop in any time. But the 3 week point has well passed.

1 Like

Waiting 3 weeks is normal for something from the US to Canada.
It can take 2 months or more for something from Canada to reach South America.

7 Likes

Good info man, thanks! I didn’t expect Canada to South America to take 2 months or more.

Here in Europe mail moves a shitload faster :rofl:

I mean, if it’s international but not intercontinental, you can usually get it in 3 to 10 days here. Weird. Europe is small I guess.

2 Likes

Every time I have sent something that way it always has been 2 months minimum.

4 Likes

Weird. My letters to Europe have been hitting home faster than my letters to the US.

4 Likes