Seeds shipping tips

Is there a preferred shipping method for seeds (and other products)?
I looked up UPS and found:
https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/shipping-support/prohibited-items.page

I’ve received through USPS and UPS - but don’t want to lose any to inexperience when I go to ship out.

4 Likes

Most people on here say the coin flip washer are the way to go

6 Likes

Coin flips in greeting cards, max 3 (letter weight) :+1:

Cheers
G

10 Likes

Do you purchase the coin flips from Amazon or what👀

2 Likes

If you have a hobby lobby near you with the coupon they always have its a few bucks.

6 Likes

That’s exactly where I got mine, hose washers from home depot.

Edit: you can find them in the coin collecting hobby area.

6 Likes

From experience and what I have gathered so far, USPS is the better of those two options. High success rate wether in a media mailer type deal or coin flip and envelope as long as packed securely

5 Likes

Both my flips and washers were ordered on amazon. Get the hard dense reddish washers not the squishy black ones.

3 Likes

I’m cheap as shit so I save the packaging people send me and use it to ship out again when the time comes :shushing_face:

19 Likes

:joy: I’m with it

Coin flips and washers are great! Cheap too!

I was doing that until I ran out of packs to cannibalize lol. Broke down and bought the coin flips and washers

5 Likes

IMO, usps is the way to go. a 4 oz first class package via Pirate Ship or similar is about $3.10…with tracking!!

I just use everyday items and keep it simple…I usually put 10 seeds in each beer bottle cap, crumpled up toilet paper then enclose it with duct tape…never had any seeds crushed…I’m not gonna go outa my way just to buy special containers for shipping free seeds folks. I actually just shipped some pepper seeds to a member here on Overgrow and I used 2 bud light beer caps and used a plain white envelope

16 Likes

I guess I’m going to have to get myself a couple 6 packs!

6 Likes

Originally I thought this was a forum of closet numistatists posing as weed growers. Does anyone know who first started the trend of using coin flips?

3 Likes

We do both :wink:

2 Likes

Not who, but quite an old tech. apparently; re: Molta_Mota’s comment in the following thread, first post:
“This is how almost all traded beans came back in the day”

That’s a worthwhile thread to peruse.

-Dr. Zinko

5 Likes

All great methods - thanks!
I recycled centerfuge containers in a stiff bubble pack for mine - hopefully they make it.
Shipping is ground and within Ca. so shouldn’t be any issues

I asked because I’ve been freely given seeds a few times now (incredible community!) - and I finally have a chance to give back to a friend — kind of a dry run before diving into my first seed run that (hopefully) will be distributed to further the goal - “Grow the World”

1 Like

i had bad luck with some shipping methods so i ended up sticking with 4x8 padded manila envelopes. i put the seeds in small plastic ‘centrifuge’ tubes. it’s definitely not the cheapest method but that’s just the method i prefer.

2 Likes