Weed expiration date?

What’s the difference between acidic thc and neutral thc though? Didn’t know there were such a thing.

3 Likes

THCA is what the plant produces. In this form it is not activated (i.e. it wont get you high). The corboxyl acid group is removed when heat, oxygen, or light are applied. When you smoke a bowl or take a dab, that acid group breaks off releasing CO2 and activating it. This is called decarboxylation.

5 Likes

When I grew 20+ years ago and shut down I kept an lb of my best plant in a triple ziplock bag inside a bag inside a bag in the freezer and would take out about a 1/4 zip as a treat about every couple months give it take and reseal. I thought it was still great right up to the end years later.
What are people’s thoughts on long term storage in a freezer?

4 Likes

How does one go about drying it after freezing it? I have never ever heard of freezing buds, extract oils and resin bars I’ve heard freezing those but never actual weed.

2 Likes

Sorry. It was dried before going in the freezer. Back then I believe I would weigh it wet after wet trimming and then dry to a point of about 23% of original weight. Never had a hygrometer nor loupe for trichs just harvested judging by the red hairs.

4 Likes

Nah bro I figured it was cured an dry but like when you take food out of a freezer, the water that comes out of it when it’s defrosted or does that not happen because it was already dry, genuinely curious on how it came out of a freezer. I have thought about freezing it but tbh I’ve never got it that long to need to freeze it :rofl:

3 Likes

My dad keeps his bud in the freezer. He doesn’t even know why. He said it was just what they did when he was young. I’m pretty sure they don’t really freeze. Once they are dry, I don’t think any moisture will come out after pulling it out.

3 Likes

What I’ve noticed is the freezer smell goes into the weed over time also thc converts to cbd with age ! Still ok but not even a 10th of how fresh cured out of a jar tastes and smells !
Closest you can get to fresh storing is to vacuum seal 5-10% wetter then you’d jar it then remove from vacuum seal bag jar and dry down the last 10% when wanting to use it !
2 year old weed handled this way you’d never know it wasn’t fresh harvested !

3 Likes

Hmmmm. I think that’s kinda what I used to do is slightly more damp and by the end it was just the perfect humidity. It was a 8 zip cola on the stem and I broke the buds off one at a time as i smoker them and left the stem intact right till the end so it could keep the humidity. Worked real well I thought.

2 Likes

I don’t even recall it losing any flavor or getting any freezer taste but I did triple bag it all the time.

2 Likes

This study actually shows that refrigeration increases THC. And degradation is slowed markedly

Freezer is the best esp for hash. But for flower I don’t think it’s best.

1 Like

Ya I haven’t stored that long in glass jars yet. Just getting back into it so I’ll see how they compare but it’s gonna take a few years.

1 Like

If you are going to freeze, use a vacuum sealer to prevent the smell from coming in.

THC will never be turned into CBD, this is a synthase that happens from CBG to THC or CBD. THC degrades to CBN. It’s a common mistake.

7 Likes