Question about weed getting old

I found this jar in my smoke room that had been sitting here since last year. It still smells the same as I remembered but it’s very brown now.

Did it get brown bc it’s not been in the dark?

I pressed some and the rosin is darker too.

It got me wondering why. What am I pressing out that is now more brown than before? Is it trichome heads that have reacted to the sun. It never had direct sunlight on it either.

3 Likes

It’s been oxidized over time. That’s why it’s brown and the rosin is darker. Thc converts to cbn over time going from clear/cloudy to amber.

10 Likes

I have always assumed that the three enemies of cured buds are heat, light and pressure. I have screwed up on all three categories numerous times.

4 Likes

Degraded/decarbed cannabinoids no longer in the -acid form, and decaying/aged plant matter. Will make effects less potent and less stimulating, more sedating/boring, usually, but potentially more useful for some medical issues. Aged plant matter (waxes, lignin/cellulose/etc, chlorophyll) isn’t going to be any more harmful than fresh stuff afaik

Anything I want to keep long term goes in a jar in the freezer, otherwise the previously dank, tasty strain is weak and musty. If you got it to retain its smell for over a year, good for you!

5 Likes

As the chlorophyll breaks down over time, the color changes from green to brown.

5 Likes

I have weed that wasn’t impressive become quite the sleep weed after siting a year

4 Likes

6-18 months is the magic number for me in jars in a dark closet. Older is ok too but that’s my sweet spot.

But yes oxidation for sure. I’d argue that a little is actually a good thing.

8 Likes

Came across some very old outdoor bud in an old ice cream tub last month, White Widow 2007. Dry as a bone, made some into cookies and the rest went to bubble hash.

5 Likes

I think it’s mostly the chlorophyll degrading like in all plants as they turn brown. Of course thc degrades but I think the brown is not the exact same as any potency lost.

2 Likes

i found a baggie of weed under the seat of a truck that had been parked for about seven years and lost probably a few before that about four years ago. i’m scared to try it though.

2 Likes

I found some in a drawer of a desk for sale at Goodwill once. Just felt a need to pull out that drawer and bam, there it was. Old little bud of something. Don’t remember if I tried to smoke it :thinking: I bought an ashtray for my prelude a couple decades ago from a junkyard and it came with 4 or 5 joint touches :joy:

4 Likes