Weird thought on breeding

That’s super smart :exploding_head: You should do a write up on that I’m willing to bet folks with a low plant count would be really interested.

4 Likes

@Neb Give me a couple days I will put a demo together with pictures.

7 Likes

I call it forwarding genetics.
You’d get a lot of variations and some hermies.
You’d eventually maybe get something totally fire and unique to clone or selfie and stabilize.

Breed all your favorites together, what can go wrong.

1 Like

Does the rootstock affect flowering time? I posted this recently in another thread(partly hoping someone else beats me to it), that I want to graft autos onto photos and see if they flower under 24 light or not. I’ve tried a few times and failed so far. If they stay in veg it would be helpful for auto breeding.

When I’ve tried, I get them to live a week or so in a clear tote with indirect light, and they look good, but if I leave the lid on to much they eventually dampen off, and if I take it off to much they dry up. Cant seem to get past that part.

How do you do grafts like that?Are you the one that had that mother that had like 8 different cultivars on one mother?

Yeah that was me! I loss her due to spider mites but I saved 95% of the cuts on it. I did a write up but it had a few issues to correct so I will just do another.

@RandomHumanoid Strangely yes to flower time but I have not completely figured out the mechanism behind it. Its under hormonal regulation but without testing it is hard to pin down what combos do what.

As for your scenario . First off yes you could in theory graft an auto to a photo with some luck but several things are going to happen. So Florigen (or flowering hormone) is produced in the leaves and flows towards phloem given proper stimuli (light schedule in short day plants like cannabis, age in day neutral “auto” verities . But signal strength (concentration gradient) matters in plants. So depending on how “leaky” or how much cross over there is through grafted tissue affects levels since hormones are relatively large molecules compared to glucose or water. Size ratios might affect it. etc. I would predict prehaps a partial flowering of the photo or maybe even herming. would be interesting experiment.

3 Likes

think now there is another “FreakShow” new strain can’t remember the name of

1 Like

supafreak is it. supposed to be a more indca ish version

2 Likes

I wonder if like how if you grow different plants in the same bed they bleed characteristics from each other into the other,grafting like that would be similar to take another’s trait in to itself for a befit.Does that sound crazy?

1 Like

more like fitting the best components from different cars together. different verities might have different internal hormone levels and levels they express at. by mixing and matching there is some performance gain. since to my knowledge there is limited if any DNA transfer (it is very rare phenomenon) no “new” traits can be expressed only hidden ones . The physical kinetics of horizontal gene transfer in plant grafts is above my understanding as an undergrad at this time. When I hit grad school for molecular biology I MIGHT be able to answer that better but I just got invited to an enzymology lab instead so I might take that path and try organic / biochem instead because I have basically a double major going anyway.

4 Likes

If you’re doing it outdoors and selecting the best plants — you’ll end up creating a line that’s perfect for your environment. By adding more and more genes, and selecting plants that best fit your area, you’re increasing the chances of the final batch of seeds containing all of the right traits needed to succeed.

You could definitely condense the timespan for a project like that, by running as many lines concurrently as possible. A few parallel projects that never interbreed until you’re satisfied both of them are full acclimated to your environment, and then making a true-F1 for that sweet sweet hybrid vigor

3 Likes

Oh shoot, I also didn’t realize that was your thread, which I think is where I posted that the other time. Demo would be cool. I want to figure it out. I’m also dealing with mites. At least theres nothing flowering here at the moment. Ok, no more derailing for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RandomHumanoid @Nagel420 @Neb

First off. Sorry this took a bit longer than expected.

How to graft!

First gather supplies, Scapel or razor blade. water proof tape, a marker and a zip lock bag

1. you want to take your root stock and Identify where you want to graft.The stem should feel half way between the woody and young soft growth stage.

Clear and clean the sides of the area.

Cut it flat.

And then a cut down the center.

Next find a place on your donor plant that is about the same size but a bit on the younger side.

Cut strip and clean it till you get a small apical node with maybe 1 or 2 quarter size leafs on it.

Cut it into a wedge!

Place the wedge in the graft union you cut previously.

A good job will hold itself up while you grab the tape. The tape is to seal and support NOT hold everything together.

Label it ! very important you will forget!

Mist a bag and place over the top like a humidity dome for a week until you see the graft perk up on its own in the bag.1

I have an 80% success rate overall. some are harder than others.

10 Likes

Stress testing and letting the weak ones die is what improves any and every cultivar.
Doesn’t matter how mixed up they get so long as you keep making the desirable selections.

Operate from a mindset of abundance and quality.
Let everything that is not up standard return to the soil.
And only use seeds from the most amazing plants.

3 Likes

Awesome. I ordered grafting tape and it showed up yesterday. I have a steady hand, and my grafts have looked good. I think most of my problems are with after care. I have some starfruit trees I wanna try. Only half will have sweet fruit, and I’ll have to drag them inside in the winters in big pots. So I potted up 2 a while back and topped them, and the rest are way smaller that I am going to try and graft onto the bigger 2.

Do you have more success with the smaller cuts, or is it just easier? Do you always put them on an established plant? So far my attempts have been with equal sized small plants. I was trying to do it like I’ve seen tomatoes done in videos. I wonder if its better to use a hungry plant for the cut like they say not to overfeed the mom before taking clones.

1 Like

I love how this thread is still going and how it turned into grafting, very interesting read. Thanks!

anyone ever try this: I had “china Yenum” fro ACE female and a reg Auto OG kush --let me tell you got some very interesting genetics , most (the ones I tryied) were quite a mix – grew a few to harvest was a medium plant due to China Yenem (100% sativa) and the Kush. Has anyone ever tired this ??? Have never seen a post of breeding autos x photo’s - maybe I need to start a nre threas about this --Thought ???

1 Like

I think quite a few of us have taken autoXreg crosses to F2 and made new autos. The F1s will be “fast” plants with 1 auto gene. The next generation should have 25% full autos. I basically pollen chucked mine twice and the result was about as crappy as expected. I was just messin around with that mostly.

I’m sure using a 100% sativa spiced things up. The F2s should be even crazier. Flash seeds seems to specialize in making long slow autos with sativas. Some take so long to finish people give up and 12/12 them assuming they weren’t autos. I might try some eventually. They might be cool outdoors for people who want a little quicker plant, but one that still gets fairly big and uses most of the season. Also for people who just love sativas and hate the long flower times.

2 Likes

good information !! doing the g breeding thing wuth auto’s is interesting - but to me lost time - I’m a non-auto grower