Welcome to Meesh's Garden

:four_leaf_clover: :hourglass_flowing_sand:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Unless I solarized my entire house, it will never be gone. Itā€™s just the cross I bear. I dig and dig and digā€¦
Bermuda Grass one of Danteā€™s circles of hell.

3 Likes

First time Iā€™ve ever grown them! I really like them too! Unfortunately, all of the flowers basically grow on one stem, so to cut them for the house basically means I have to cut down the whole stalk. Iā€™ve cut a stalk of white ones so far. They last a long time and make great cutting flowers, just donā€™t know how rapidly or if they will grow more from removing them. I may remove one other color for the house and see if they produce more flowers while I leave a few out there to pretty up the garden. The garden is not exactly in full bloom, so I kind of want some color out there as I fade into fall.

2 Likes

I used my credits with Michigan bulb last night. Ended up buying a lot more lilies, to fill in empty spots in the planters and a whole bunch more bleeding hearts a Patriot Hosta and a godzilla painted fern for the shade garden.

3 Likes

Almost forgot. Ordered some wild tulips as well. Says they are a woodland grower and naturalize good in grass and under trees. Hoping they will take underneath my avocado tree. I really would love a carpet of flowers instead of grass or weeds back there. We shall see. I think fall plants ship next month. I canā€™t tell you guys how many fall planted bulbs I lost last year to squirrels.

Are there any shade plants that you guys grow that you absolutely love?

@anon95954822 Iā€™m pretty sure the next month or two is the time to dig up trillium, my friend.

2 Likes

Decided to start some more container plants. A couple are those damn pelleted seeds. Read somewhere that they were supposed to stay on top of the soil, so Iā€™m trying that this time. Iā€™ve had zero success so far. I didnā€™t put any of these in starters. Just a soilless mix in their final pot. Felt lazy. lol

So one pot of Sweet Williams, one of purple Sweet alyssum, one mix of verbena/pelleted petunias, One pot of mums (pelleted). Iā€™m curious to see if this works. This is completely new to me to have these all in final pots in a strictly soilless mix. Iā€™ll keep you updated. Not only on whether all these annuals (except Sweet William) actually thrive being started this late or the pellets actually germ, but how it goes in the containers using only soilless mix with chemical ferts.

I am 80% sure that if they germ, Cali weather will allow them to grow and flower regardless of season. I started some marigolds last year in August and they had a whole lifespan through fall and winter.

2 Likes

Maybe the Asters will grow back from cutting it like many plants do. Some benefit and some donā€™t. Glad to see youā€™re doing your own tests. Now weā€™ll all know.

1 Like

Asters tend not to grow back if they get chopped to much from what I have doneā€¦

2 Likes

That was my guess! I think Iā€™ll just leave the rest outside then for some color while the cannabis buds and just play with my container plants. lol

3 Likes

Hi @Meesh Nice new threadā€¦digginā€™ it!

I really enjoy Torenia and Impatiensā€¦also New Guinea Impatiens (these can tolerate more direct sun). Lots of vibrant colors to brighten up shady spots.

3 Likes

My neighbor has some gorgeous purple impatiens on the side of their house that I have admired for years. Gonna have to look up torenia again, didnā€™t know it would handle shade.

3 Likes

All my coleus in the starters disappeared. Those damn tiny sprouts, me and watering them just donā€™t go well together. Figure next round, Iā€™ll water them only from the bottom although I canā€™t understand how it will work on sprouts whose roots havenā€™t reached the bottom yet. Hoping the soilless mix will just act like a sponge.

1 Like

Sorry @Meesh, been away for a bit just trying to get some of Momā€™s after funeral things sorted (paperwork, cards of thanks, etc.) or I would have answered sooner.

Yes, I will be making a trip out to the woods very soon, in the next day or so, to dig up a few trilliums. I will have to do it soon as I want to make sure there is enough foliage left on the plants to identify them properly.

About how many did you want?

Peace
DaFozz

p.s. no JS yet, but no worries eitherā€¦ Canada Post never seems to be in a hurry to deliver mail coming from US lol

4 Likes

Boy, do I feel like a self-involved ass! Iā€™m sure the trillium is the last of your thoughts right now! They are not important in the least. You do what you gotta do right now during this tough time. If you get to it, you get to it. Absolutely, no worries!

My tracking notification just drops off on the 5th once the package left the US. Iā€™m guessing first class mail means nothing in Canada. Damn those Americans! lol Sure hope they make it though! I really want you to have them.

3 Likes

Hey @Meesh, it wasnā€™t intended to make you feel like thatā€¦lol

Iā€™m halfway through doing an update now, and will finish it when I get back from my brotherā€™s place later onā€¦ but I had to answer because I didnā€™t want you to get the wrong impressionā€¦

Actually, I am looking forward to getting out in the woods for a bit, as it has been awhile, even though itā€™s only 10 mins drive from meā€¦ I will enjoy the peace and quiet that it affordsā€¦ Mother Nature is pretty curativeā€¦

The JS will make it Iā€™m sureā€¦ it took over 3 weeks for my Mega Crop to make it here from the US, soā€¦ no worries M

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

Oh no, I didnā€™t feel like you were guilting me. Iā€™m just a softie and didnā€™t even think before I mentioned the trillium. When I originally posted it, I had just seen something about trillium saying it was a fall planted bulb and didnā€™t think past that. Mother Nature is a nice healing force though, it probably will give you some well deserved peace. Plus, you score the best rocks for your garden out there. Iā€™m so jealous about that. Best I could do here in the city is steal some pebbles from the train tracks. :joy:

3 Likes

Finished digging out the grass where the sunflowers lived today. Iā€™ll plant my garlic tomorrow. I was gonna sprout one of my red sunflower seeds again behind it just to see if it will still grow this late. The last ones didnā€™t last too long as they got shaded out by the others. The Ms. Mars only get about 5 feet tall and Iā€™m only gonna plant 1 or 2 out there this time. More than one flower grow on these more like a bush so 2 will do it.

Also, dug out part of one of my flower planters yet again, the grass never ends. I dug until I ran out of steam. I have a blue globe thistle and a blue sea holly plant that I started from bare root in spring. The grass took over so badly in that planter that it practically choked out the globe thistle. It still has one green leaf so I have some hope. This one particular planter probably runs 50 feet from end to end and I sort of think of it as a bunch of separate planters as I group it together in my mind by plants. This stretch of planter has the comfrey, a few lily bulbs, a couple daffodil bulbs, the globe thistle and sea holly in it. I got more than half of the grass dug out. Once I finish, Iā€™m gonna mulch it right away this time and try to keep down some of the grass from coming back so fast.

Finally planted the 2 shasta daisies I started from seed yet again into the planter . This will probably be the 5th or 6th time that Iā€™ve tried to get this plant to take. This time the 2 plants were completely rooted out in their starters that they had stalled. They should make it this time. Fingers crossed. I was seriously determined to grow these damn flowers!

Tried to do my liquid fish drench tonight per my soil test and watered and watered for like an hour and a half and the hose end sprayer was still practically full. Obviously it has malfunctioned as it should have only took 18 gallons of water to empty the sprayer. sigh. Iā€™ll go buy a new one tomorrow. I wish they would build things to last more than 6 months. Oh well, I suppose everything got a really deep watering.

3 Likes

maybe clogged with fish? :blowfish:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Yeah, I would just take it apart and clean the small parts. They get clogged with soil particles as well. All of my sprayers suffer this at some point or another.

So sorry to her about you mom @anon95954822. Iā€™ve lost both my parents now, and it never stops hurting, really. Moms are the worst imo. Prayers and vibes sent bro!

4 Likes

So, pretty stoked! The seeds I started the other day are sprouting.
Sweet alyssum is going off. Saw a huge overflowing planter of this same purple kind and loved it. Hoping I can get a good spill on this one

2 sprouts in here. This one is marked verbena/Pelleted petunias. No idea which ones germed so far, but Iā€™ll take it.

No sign of the Pelleted mums or the sweet William yet. Dang, I love seeing seeds sprout almost as much as flowers forming!
@cannabissequoia. The flamingo has lift offā€¦ a few violas

6 Likes