Welcome to Meesh's Garden

I love it Man! I haven’t talked to you since you got it. Been meaning to mention it. Watch out! You’re all legit now! GMan represents! lol

Yeah, I went to their website and asked it for notifications for planting in my zone. You can customize it by crop too.

3 Likes

Is that part of the subscription or free through the site? I should set that up. it was made for people like me… grab me by the shoulders, turn me towards the task, and tell me its time. heh.

2 Likes

It’s free on the almanac site. I love poking around in there!

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar

3 Likes

Thank you! Now… if I can remember to do it, lol :confused: :upside_down:

Going there now to see it and bookmark.

2 Likes

Anyone know why my salvia leaves are shaped like tacos right now? Does heat do that? They are fairly new transplants into organic soil and have been fed zero nutes yet. It’s really weird. Seems like an overdose except they have never been dosed.

3 Likes

Hi @Meesh,

What do you mean by garlic scapes?

1 Like

What kind of plants you have in your backyard?

1 Like

The stalks that grow out of the top like chives that eventually flower. They are delicious!

Every type of flower under the sun, my friend. I am a flower freak. Everything from bulbs to annuals and also a big 400 sq ft veggie patch to boot which this year I grew tomatoes, peppers, onions, gourds, cantaloupe and lots of annual flowers. Right now most has finished as it’s fall according to plants in southern California and mostly it’s a giant budding cannabis forest right now.

I barely started on my garden last year and am still filling in empty spaces in the 100’s of feet of planters I have that line my yard. Some plants didn’t make it as I’m pushing it on some flowers not really for my zone. I guess that everything in my garden aside from a few shade plants will flower. I am especially fond of fragrant varieties. A lot of my perennials are still not grown in all the way as they are slow growers. It is a work in progress. Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

Any chance the soil could be too hot in that area?

2 Likes

They are in containers. I think I figured it out… sort of… I have been giving them more water than usual as they are new transplants until they established. Well, I think they are established. It has started getting really hot outside this week and I think between the 60% humidity and the heat they are desperately trying to transpire water through their leaves. Once established salvia is a drought tolerant plant so even with good drainage they don’t like being moist. Long story short… I think I’m over watering them. lol

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this detailed info, will you consider to grow indoor? Or have you tried to home grow your tomatoes,peppers,onions,etc?

1 Like

Yep. Heat. :thermometer: (or wind)

It’s reducing exposure as best it can.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Taco Leaves

These are the classic symptoms of a Calcium and Magnesium deficiency. If you’ve been adding a Cal/Mag supplement, then it’s possible you have nutrient lockout due to pH fluctuation. Typically, low pH levels will cause the plant to become unable to take in Magnesium and result in the kinds of problems you’re describing. Most nutrient formulations contain enough of these micronutrients for this not to be a problem, so raising your pH level from somewhere in the high 5’s to more like 6.2-6.5 in soil and 6.0-6.3 in a hydroponic reservoir usually will do the trick.

If pH is not the issue, you can add a Calcium and Magnesium additive solution found at any grow shop or online. This is preferable to Epsom Salts and other homemade remedies, and new leaf growth should come out green and un-crinkled. I recommend CalMag by Botanicare, a Calcium and Magnesium additive that works in hydroponic and soil applications. I have used Dolomite Lime over the years, and it seems to provide just enough of calcium and magnesium for all my soil plants. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow @CLOSETGROWTH I totally forgot about the calcium in dolomite lime. I had a bag of it here all along and as you know had been fighting cal/mag issues lol

3 Likes

Well, … With your cal mag issue, you needed an “instant fix”, Like right now! Thats why I promptly reccomended Botanicare cal mag on your thread. Unfortunately, Finely granulated Dolomite Lime takes a while to do its thing. But, you will see improvements in a short time… Dolomite Lime mixed into your soil, slowly releases calcium and magnesium everytime you water… And remember, If you “overwater” your plants, you remove most of the vital nutrients in the soil as well…

2 Likes

Ah crap! I’ve never worked with lime but a lot of the slow release stuff you can make a quick tea out of to make some of it more readily avail… Maybe for next time

2 Likes

Thanks @CLOSETGROWTH great info! These flowers were just having a heat stroke and too much water. Transpiring like crazy! I stepped away from the watering can. Another Meesh overwatering moment. I joined OWA awhile back but fall off the wagon still from time to time. lol OWA = Over Waterers Anonymous :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Trevor, …Ive screwed up many grows in my day, and Iam no dummy. Its called “experience”. If I thought Dolomite Lime might have saved your plants, I would of said something the other day. Its slow acting… I still believe Botanicare calmag might of saved em. Oh well… Ive been growing since 98-99, and I have seen more plant problems than most. I dont like going to peoples threads and cause problems. Its not my thing Bro. I just wanna help, and see healthy and beautiful plants from each member here on OG, Including myself…lol. If I can help a fellow grower, and believe in what Im saying to others, Then Ill most certainly do what most people wont… I got the gonads to step up to the plate, and I will always be respectful, and honest. You live and learn buddy!.. Have a nice evening, and I wish you good luck :wave::slight_smile:

4 Likes

Im glad it all worked out Meesh :blush:… Have a nice evening hun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh right,
I thought you meant scapes as in landscape.
Like the look of them when they are growing.
Not sure if that even makes much sense.
It does to me though. :sweat_smile::wink:

2 Likes