Welcome to Meesh's Garden

The catmint has settled in nicely in the front rose planter already. The leaves have already re-hydrated and will probably take except, Sonny Boy got really pissy when I insisted he get his face off of it! Umm… if the cat doesn’t destroy it, should be okay. lol

3 Likes

So, any of my organic peeps know how to make a slurry to use in my hose end sprayer with the yucca root I have? I’m getting a lot of run-off out there, especially in my shade planter. Kind of want to treat the whole garden with it.

3 Likes

You would have to cook it or soak it for a long time to get the good stuff into a liquid that won’t clog the sprayer. So, however you do it, you may need to strain it through a sieve of some kind. I personally don’t have any experience using Yucca like that.

Maybe mash it up or chop it up, put in a bucket of water and add some microbes and sugar and let it ferment for a couple of weeks. @Sebring may have used it before. He cooks up teas a lot. peace

3 Likes

Hey Meesh @ReikoX has a procedure for using real yucca root I believe! JWA would work, soapnuts, and some of your legumes seeds have high saponin as well aloe has it in it also some groceries stores have those huge aloe leaves for like 2-3 bucks … I’d think the yucca root would be the toughest to work with compared to all the above mentioned ones.

3 Likes

Fresh yucca root needs to be chunked then run through a food processor, or muddled with a stick, with sugar (1 part sugar to 1 part root, by weight).

Ferment with for a week then strain through a fine mesh (t-shirt or mesh bag). Compost the solids and use the liquid. Bacillus subtilis releases the surfactant in yucca root (aka cassava root) so adding some local dirt to inoculate the mash should get it started. Adding lactobacillus will increase it’s nutritive properties for the plants.

6 Likes

or sawzall or hatchet… :persevere:

Holy guacamole my yucca project was a mess. Ended up just washing the dog with it. :sweat_smile: :shower: :dog2: :bathtub:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I’ve done both the fermenting like Sebring said and also shredded it with a grater to form a powder. The reetha glycerine is my favorite surfactant right now. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

It’s in a powder form already, you guys

4 Likes

:rolling_eyes: I’m sure we all already knew that… ( :thinking: :poop: )

so, forget the grinder, grater, processor, …chunker, masher, chopper, …

and maybe add water?? and let it sit or better yet aerate it for 18-24 hours. :eye:

I’m not familiar with Yucca yet, as far as using it in the soil… there might be other things that you could add into the mix that will compliment it, I’m not sure. Sometimes, molasses is always good in any tea in order to feed and grow the microbes, or humic/fulvic acid… so, others will know much more about that.

2 Likes

Note to self - throw a 10-10-10 in the front rose planter and feed the fuschia

That reminds me… @Sebring what kind of fert does the Comfrey like? Simple balanced fert work?

1 Like

This is the easiest and fastest flower I’ve ever grown from seed so far. The sweet alyssum starting to take off

8 Likes

Received a cutting from @Olbrannon today of the pearl succulent I’ve been itching to get my hands on. It looks absolutely perfect! Gonna plant it tmw. Sure hope it takes, very excited

8 Likes

Got the string of pearls planted into a cactus/succulent soil. Realized there were 2 cuttings and both had some root. Yay! Succulents are usually pretty easy from cuttings, but the bit of roots give me extra hope of them taking. It’s pot has been stashed slightly under the Kushage for now for lots of shade and filtered light. Once she fully establishes she’ll go on my front porch. Really love this interesting beauty! I’m a big fan of spilling plants. I have only a few succulents, the ones in the ground on the side of my house grow like gang busters, but the 4 little ones I have in a pot grow really slowly, so I’m curious to watch her grow. Damn, it’s been such a good plant week in Meeshland. So far the pearls are perfect and @MomOnTheRun cuttings seem to be doing really well, at least I can really tell on the catmint, she’s already getting new leaves.

7 Likes

So stoked! The plants @MomOnTheRun sent me have taken to my environment quite nicely. Just saw some leaves on the Phlox and the catmint is completely full of them! Also, one of the delphiniums that I started from seed are forming flowers. These are supposed to be a biannual plant, so I didn’t expect flowers for at least another year and a half! I had planted 4, 1 didn’t take, 1 is in partial shade and doesn’t like it so it’s small, and 1 is shaded out by the Hollyhock leaves Even just the one that is flowering fills in a good space and the hollyhock leaves are filling in the other empty spaces in that planter. Spring is gonna look good in there!

In another planter where I put the phlox and comfrey, I have 2 bareroot plants that aren’t gonna make it. They struggled ever since I put them in last spring. A blue globe thistle and a blue sea holly. These were pushing it as far as my zone so I’ll need to figure out what other plants to put in there.

Oh, and I finally got 2 shasta daisies that I started from seed to take! Only took like 6 tries!

5 Likes

Do things grow all year or do you get some winter?

1 Like

Things mostly grow all year. Coldest is 40’s at night. High 40’s

Ocean currents keep it moderate. I didn’t know it was that extreme though. No frost or freeze ever? Weird.

1 Like

Frost is very rare. It happens, but not for years on end, sometimes a decade or more will pass with no frost. Farmers Almanac doesn’t even list a frost date for my zone.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s sort of weird.

1 Like

My delphiniums starting flowers. Looks like they are gonna be purple! Yay

My catmint from @MomOnTheRun looking good

Sweet alyssum starting to get a good spill

8 Likes