What are people using for weatherproof outdoor labels?

I did a quick search and found nothing, wondered if anyone might be able to help me…

What are people doing in terms of labeling outdoor plants? I’ve tried a few different options and everything seems to wear off after a summer outdoors in the sun and rain.

So far the only two products that seem like they might work are printable weather-resistant vinyl labels, which I could put on plastic hang tags, or thin aluminum hang tags that you can supposedly emboss with a ballpoint pen or sharp object.

Any other suggestions?

3 Likes

Color code some popsicle sticks or use a journal that you keep inside or put some clear plastic tape over your label.

2 Likes

Those 2 are solid options imo

I usually use a form or another of these without too much trouble

You could use poly pouches, put the tag inside and hang the bag

4 Likes

Pretty good if you want to spend the money.

2 Likes

Or nail polish :wink:

3 Likes

That might work real good. Or some plastic baggies or if they have a vacuum sealer.

1 Like

If you want to go green and avoid plastics. Look for Garden Label Stacks or wooden craft/popsicle sticks.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Label-Stakes/s?k=Garden+Label+Stakes

3 Likes

Idk if cutting down trees is green but if you go that route

:wink:

That said you can also use fallen tree branches split in half or any scrap wood hehe

5 Likes

Lots of good recommendations here, especially using clear vinyl/Mylar label pouches or nail polish/clear spray paint over labels. I like to use Sharpie Extreme or Industrial markers on recycled Tyvek from USPS mailers. I cut a long rectangle and then fold the end over a loop of braided mason’s cord or polypro shark fishing line then duct or Gorilla tape that end closed. You could also use small hammer or pop rivets to make the hanging hole, or put a plastic ring or D in there. For my indoor plants, I’ve often just put a strip of red duct tape folded over the end of some soft plant wire to make a twist tag that I attach to the trunk at the bottom, works great and never goes missing, I keep the stumps hanging in a corner with the tags still on for nostalgia.

4 Likes

Currently sold out but I use these, u can either write directly on em or they have the tab u can laminate a card and stick it in there or an empty seed pack for veggies will fit too

3 Likes

I use any plant tag but SPECIFICALLY these markers:

https://canada.michaels.com/en/sharpie-oil-based-paint-markers-extra-fine-point-metallic-set/10293407.html

This stuff survives EVERYTHING when in use but I reuse my labels too as it all wipes off with 70% ISO!

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1452892180301889538/mediaviewer

1 Like

I use these too, from the dollar store though. I usually buy 10, 10 packs every spring. If you use a good sharpie and wait let dry, recover it last especially if under the canopy. I actually prefer @Mithridate green tag idea, I used to use bread clips on my clones and add a sticky label but I’m grabbing a crap ton of these soon.

1 Like

Oh yeah the metallic paint pens work great my ex girlfriends parents used those darker ones on aluminum garden tags they reused every year

1 Like

Might be same look to em, just not the same company and quality I’m sure, gardzens come in either 36 or 72 packs and includes the special marker for em and last long enough to use both sides, scribble out the names and still find empty space to label another. Lol the ones that got left In direct sunlight on the ground for 115 degree summers still lasted 2 years before they brittled and broke

Never tried to clean my labels like that, gonna have to try it out

1 Like

I couldn’t watch the whole thing, it stopped playing about halfway…

But alot of cheap lumber comes from cultivated tree farms, which is much lower quality due to fast growth and hence rings are much farther apart making the wood even softer. Which imo defeats the whole idea of sustainability.

3 Likes

The gold is the most visible one EVER. I can read the txt clearly even at dusk and at night with a flashlight it POPS.

My logic when getting it was: The Victorians gold trimmed the shit out of everything so you could see it in the shit candle/lamp light… so why not my plants?

2 Likes

Dollarstore: 70% iso + cotton pads in the make-up department.

1 Like

I got a bunch of 91% and a roll of tp haha bet it does just as good haha

1 Like