Seed storage labeling

From my OG secret santa this year I got this cool seed storage organizer. Now i know the topic of seed storage has been gone over before, but would like to see / know how everyone labels their seeds for storage. If you organize your seeds in a system like this do you keep seeds in original breeder packaging separate or add them in? If you add them in do you keep the packaging? I’m sure everyone has their own little twist or method.

31 Likes

Seeds go in there, packs go in a storage box marked “RIP DEAD SOLDIERS”, tubes and Lacons and stuff like that gets reused. I number each tube with an industrial Sharpie no label, just cap and tube directly. Then I enter the info for each onto index cards that live in a little plastic box like students use to carry flash cards around, and they get stored together. I have photographs of the paper log on my phone in case anything happens to it, eventually I’d like to computerize it.

8 Likes

I have a little thermal printer. Comes out nice and neat. My camera is shit so I can’t get a clear pic. I think it was 35 from amazon

3 Likes

I’d number each sticky dot and then keep a sheet with what cultivar is associated with what number.

5 Likes

I use whatever I can find. mostly small lab tubes ( cryonic storage) and used prescription bottles. I put silicon beads or rice in all containers along with a piece of paper with the name. Everything goes into a small lunch cooler that has frozen ice packs in it and the whole thing goes in the freezer. I have seed that is 40 + years old and still viable. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I keep them in eppendorfs of 0,2ml and 0,5ml.
Normally the 0,2 can hold around 5 seeds. The 0,5ml between 10-20 seeds. After putting the seeds I put a little cotton and a pair of silica gel balls. Label with permanent pen in the sides the strain and number, in the tap the number and first letter of strain.
I keep in small sealed box in a support that I made specific to that with PVC foam. I also put some silica in that box just to keep moisture in control when opening and closing the box. In the fridge.
Also I have done a Spreadsheet with the numbers,strain, quantity, breeder and year.
In a different sheet on the spreadsheet I keep track of strain names and his parents, sativa/indica%, etc, also with notes from the breeder or from me if I have grown them.

It can be done better, but I am a bit lazy.

6 Likes

Eventually the empty packs I’m saving (some get sent with trades especially to overseas members) are going to become a hand-poured bar epoxy shadowbox top for a rehabbed coffee table that’ll go in my smoking area in the garage, once I get everything in cryotubes and Eppendorfs I will cut up the Mylar packs to extract the front (and rear maybe) and the same with baggies. Basically I’m going to do this but with cannabis seed packs, cool 3D pucks and Lacons will probably get tossed in there after being packed with sand. Maybe some other small curio objects including a strewing of seeds, some international stamps I’ve saved from users, my Mom’s very well used 1990s pair of Fiskars clippers I remember from being a kid that I found when cleaning out her stuff? My goal is half creepy Victorian museum half ancient dive bar Imagine a more weed-friendly version of Ray’s Happy Birthday Bar in Italian Market, if that Philadelphia reference means anything to you, if not, get on a plane right now and go, they open at 7am. Food wise you should eat the bacon egg and cheese pie from Uncle Oogie’s, lamb barbacoa from South Philly Barbacoa, a roast pork from John’s Roast Pork, and maybe a Ba Le banh mi while you’re at it. Nostalgia is a thing for me…

22 Likes

Use the colored dots to number each small vial, then keep a spreadsheet going that tells you the strain name and corresponding vial number.

Most breeder packs don’t fit in the vials well, so I break them down to a small plastic bag (nickle bag), or a smaller plastic cryotube like people use for pollen, and put the seeds in those and then in the bigger tubes. In other words, the seeds are all double “sealed.”

Right now I just keep some silicon packs in the main case to absorb moisture, but I plan on toasting up some dry rice in the oven for a few minutes and then putting a few grains of rice in each tube soon.

4 Likes

Dot on top with:

a number,
sticker on the side with Strain name,
Photoperiod or Autoflower,
Regular or Feminized.

The number matches my excel file which has:

Yes it’s a lot of info and i can’t get it all for each strain but it does come in very handy when I do!

:v:

9 Likes

I have a $20 Walmart Brother Label Maker, so they get labeled P or A (photo or auto) REG or FEM also breeder and cultivar.

Each tube has a few silica beads, cotton, the seeds and another little piece of cotton. Then they go into the fridge!

I let the sealed tubes sit out if I need to open them to come to room temperature. If you take them straight out of the fridge and pop them open moisture will condense.

Keep track in a spreadsheet that is printed to keep in the fridge next to the seed trays:

I have another spreadsheet sheet that tracks some more details, but they all reference the tray letter and the vial number.

Congratulations on your new organizer!

19 Likes

yeahthatsign

The more info you can list on the container (whatever one you use) the better, trust me.

I have also used a teeny tiny piece of cotton ball also. If you don’t use something to wick away any moisture you may end up with moldy beans… Call it a very inexpensive insurance policy.

I have a few different containers but I do prefer the same ones that @FieldEffect uses as they are compact and have little rubber seals.

Avery makes labels that fit perfectly on the top of the containers too.
I also use a small thermal printer but I am sure Avery or some other company makes small labels that you can print out in the ol computadora for the side of the containers.

P.S. Nice Spreadsheet @FieldEffect :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Can you give us the cat# of these @Maddawg ?

5 Likes

@Pigeonman

Here’s labels for Dymo printers:

Can’t find any Avery labels that are printable for the tops but they make lots of 0.25” and 0.5” round dots that are hand writable. Labtag makes them but only in packs of 16 sheets:

4 Likes

Thanks @Dirt_Wizard ! I already handwrite my dots but my handwriting is garbage. Pen to paper skills are not good which is why i got into cinematography… :rofl: :sweat_smile:

In like jail so: :heart: !

4 Likes

That’s fancy. I just use apple bags.

If someone ever hands you a bud or seeds in a Heavy D bag, punch him in the face cuz its me and that’s how we say hi where I come from.

1 Like

:facepunch: high :rofl:

Where’d did you get that tray for the tubes I like that!!!

I’m looking for small seed vials that have a threaded cap. Does anyone here know where I should be looking for something like that?

Are you looking for something like this:

A goggle search for cryogenic vials will produce some options. They are of varying quality.

1 Like