What are your growing costs?

I know this is little bit controversial, but…

Have you ever tried to calculate your costs of growing per gram? I mean if the price you pay for resources justifies growing your own, not just buy at your favourite coffeeshop/dispensary/dealer?

For really small single or two lamp cabinets I’ve built, the costs of electricity, fertilizers and additives summed to about $2 per gram not including any hardware.

And I know it is a hobby and we are doing it for the fun, not for the money!

I’m also interested what are current prices at dispensaries? Has prices bottomed out during boom of recreational allowance?

4 Likes

Good question! I don’t even want to go there, considering how much I just spent on LED lights, my capital cost per gram must be huge. I guess I should depreciate the lights over time for an accurate benchmark.

I’d expect the the lamps and electricity are the vast majority of my costs, since the soil mix and nutes don’t amount to much.

Actually I probably spend $150/year on Gnatrol alone, more than I spend on all other fertilizer combined.

4 Likes

get some neem seed meal dude.

i havnt calculated cost per gram but it costs me about 200 every 3 months for electricity. havnt needed to buy nutes in a few years. the only thing i really pay for is clean water and that costs be 2 bucks for 5 gallons. i found a spring though so i save money on that even hahahahaha.

4 Likes

Last time I did the math (based on receipts and utility statements) my 2600w setup in dirt has me smoking for under 3$ per gram.

I’m not very efficient :wink:

I did get a 25$ 1/8 from my neighborhood weed store yesterday(recreational dispensary). It’s not very good in flavor or smell but the 7% thc 11% cbd provides a great effect.

Home grown always wins, no matter what your costs to grow. The love we give these plants is not available in the commercial market.

Stay Hazed,
Jake

Ps cool thread idea @HydroPower

8 Likes

Running costs, or do we include hardware purchases? :grin:

I’ve only had one harvest since I started growing again, but my ballpark guess for electricity, water, soil, and fertilizer probably puts me in the neighborhood of $6/gram, but that’ll probably drop a buck or two when I chop down my currently-flowering girls. I’m also not efficient.

But it’s fun to grow so who really cares :laughing: A man’s gotta have a hobby, right?

6 Likes

Ontario electricity rates:
$0.18 / kW/h 7am-7pm
$0.087 / kWh 7pm-7am
+nutes, miscellaneous costs…
= around $1.50-$2CDN /gram for half decent grower relying on off-peak hours (in my area).

Large scale growers benefit from industrial electricity rates and light deprivation greenhouses. Meaning if they had any clue and weren’t greedy, they could bury the homegrowers. I feel like were gonna have to get a LOT more efficient REALLY quickly. Thank goodness for COB LEDs and Growmau5 youtube vids.

Dispensaries in my area sell mini nuglets of unflushed dogshit for $9-$15 /g.

7 Likes

I honestly have no idea, but considering I’m a pollen chucker it’s most definitely probably less than $1 per gram.

2 Likes

About 40 cents a gram, climate control indoor flood and drain hydro. HID.

Strain makes a huge difference, some strains i wish i killed mid crop and stared over.

4 Likes

I remember when “homegrown” meant crappy

3 Likes

No doubt @Uncle_Al! Maybe I should have said “connoisseur, passionately cultivated, home grown is always better” :smile:

Stay Hazed
Jake

3 Likes

Rough guess in my mind with initial setup buying lights, construction come to 4-5 dollars a gram in the first round. Or a little more depending on build complexity, and level of consult.

Recreational prices at a shop is around 20-24 a gram or 10 for a rolled J. I’ll double check but an OZ last time a friend checked is around 400-500 and that includes state tax.

Keep in mind that its almost all indoor produced.

I’m still able to sell for 3000 per LB, Premium Indoor from some of the genetics I put out there can get 250 an OZ easy.

So homegrown cost for 2 a gram of lovingly produced weed is realistic, if we are not taking into account labor costs and just calculating power, food, consumables for indoor. I think it could be less if its outdoor using lower cost materials.

2 Likes

One thing I forget to add in costs is the genetic inventory, I know I spend way too much on looking for elite cultivars. I spent thousands looking for clone stock. It also takes alot of resources to look for elite cultivars in a seedline. . Something to really look at for cost calculations. It is without a doubt a money pit when looking for the best.

Like one cultivar I am working on “Lo-Fi” took a year to make seed, grow it out and get a phenotype isolated, lots of time invested in that but it might not make the elite cut.

4 Likes

Lol for good dro out here they charge 340 to 380 an oz but good luck finding it lol😂

1 Like

I’m in Ottawa. Same shit here.

1 Like

Where do you sell your weed for 3000? Or are you talking what you sold it for in 1998?

1 Like

I look at it either on a monthly basis or on a seasonal basis. Never bother to weigh anything anymore. I should.

I grow everything outdoor. My days of staying home to babysit are over.

I move a little of my harvest to friends and a few needy folks so my net cost is likely in the negative (granted not by much). All said and done I probably get paid about 0.50 a gram on what I keep for my self. So my grow pays for itself, I get to smoke for free and my friends get to smoke for a lot less than street prices. Any I make usually gets put back into the grow as upgrades etc.

3 Likes

Here there’s people selling outdoor from cali for 2500 - 3200 and people buy it up… good indoor is 3200 - 4800 even up to 5600 depending on who you’re dealing with…

2 Likes

that’s insane wheres that texas or something? wait that’s too close to cali… florida or NY?

my costs are minimal i’d guess they average under $100 a month atm

1 Like