The Legal Industry

Good luck mate! And I will tell you what I wish someone told me. Be careful what you wish for, as it may come true. The legal industry is going to shat pretty quickly in the state’s or at least Washington. Our prices fell through the floor! Just had a guy offer me .35 cents per gram for the 470 pounds I have. Last year I sold it for 1.75 per gram. It’s too much work for the retail stores to dictate pricing. Hopefully Canada will get it right!

4 Likes

i think canada is aiming for 10 a gram pricing or so, i believe one of the provinces signed a 50million dollar deal for 5 million grams, or 10 a gram straight up … not too sure

a nursery license is just to sell clones and seeds, they are easier to get. to apply for an LP you need HUGE cash in the bank or heavy investors

1 Like

In the state’s we “the producer” get 33% of retail sales price. The 27% tax is added in to the sales price. So if a gram sells at the store for $10 we, the producer, sold it to the store for $3.33. However we have to pay for testing and packaging material and labor to trim and package, oh and the cost of growing it, and etc… By the time you factor it all in you are growing weed because you love to not to get rich.

4 Likes

That’s fucking crazy!! I would tell him where to go!!

2 Likes

In the nicest of ways! :eyes:

1 Like

so if the guy buys it for 0.35 cents a gram you still get 33% of sales? is that all thru the mettric system or whatever or do people try and cheat the growers out of their commission ?

sorry pookie does someone want to clean this up for pooks

Ill give ya .75 … Have to be decent to my brothers here haha :joy:

What a joke that is, can’t believe that’s even a realistic figure… So much love and time to be low balled like that…

What canna industry do you see doing well in your area $$$

1 Like

is the black market still pretty big in washington?

I did in the most polite way of course.
:wink:

Yes it’s huge. Pounds on the street of good indoor sell for 1500.

1 Like

No the price I sell it for is what I get. The .35 offer was a wholesale offer, so no packaging. Just trimmed and cured and handed off in turkey bags. Then he has to package it, which the stores want everything in glass jars now that cost .60 each. Then market and sell it. So he’s trying to get that 33% I talked about.

3 Likes

The “organized groups” that sell to dispensaries are already flooding the streets with their overage here in Canada. Elbows are $900-$1800 and dropping every year. They have the streets AND dispensaries on LOCK. Game’s already dead for those who don’t have loyal medically licensed customers.

Opening the laws up have made it incredibly hard on the growers to make any money. The effects are even here in the illegal states. Nobody wants to buy at a reasonable price because the legal states have so much surplus at so cheap that any square can go there and come back with something decent for cheaper than what is underground small time guys can produce for. How can I justify risking jail time for 1500 a lb? At the scale I grow, 1500 isn’t even profitable really especially if we’re accounting for time. But now everyone is “oh bro my buddy is getting good shit from Colorado and he charges me a bowl of white rice for 5 lbs” full legalization is pushing the small guys out of the way.

4 Likes

Good statement that, growing weed because you love to…not to get rich.

2 Likes

At the same time, I consider the cannabis industry to be a viable, meaningful industry. Definitely a more meaningful job than many jobs available. :neutral_face:

It’s definitely a labor of love.

Here’s to the hope that craft cannabis will be that saving grace for many smaller suppliers and growers :thumbsup:

1 Like

Yeah, I hear ya. It would be nice to make a living as an employee in a production facility, which will be much easier when big tobacco and pharma get established. More meaningful than pumping gas on a personal level, sure. But for minimum wage, I’d rather pump gas, get to talk with people and fresh air, no responsibility as opposed to shitting my pants when I see a spidermite in a warehouse of 10,000 plants I am caring for (at minimum wage). There will be many jobs in support industries, lab jobs, transportation etc. so the opportunities will be there. If you want to piss with the big dogs, you have to run with the pack. I personally favour an open market with little regulation, but expectations have to be in line with local legislation. There are some preliminary talks of micro-grow licencing here in Canada but until actual numbers are given here, the threshold for “How small is small” has not been established. Hopefully small doesn’t require a minimum size that excludes most “existing craft growers”. We’ll see!

1 Like

Growers are one of the highest paid in the industry. In Washington the average salary is between $75000-$125000 for a master grower. Even trimmers make $15 a hour. It’s a great industry, that was setup wrong in Washington. Colorado did the right thing by allowing vertical integration.

2 Likes

what is vertical integration? i’m really unfamiliar with how most states have implemented their legislation but from what i’ve seen i feel like canada is going the way of CT, at least in QC and MB, no home growing and only buying from a limited selection of political associates for ridiculous prices. rape and pillage, no lube. is ontario allowing growing?

1 Like