What do stoners eat? 🍴 (Part 2)

Not Kale. She tried to feed me that for a while, but gave up.

17 Likes

This is totally simple, and you can see the results!

Choose a thick pork chop, maybe an inch. Thicker is better and marbling is good. Thin chops tend to dry out when cooked this way.

If you want, you can make cuts about 2 inches apart thru the fatty edge. I don’t bother. Haven’t found that it makes any difference.

Dry a room temperature chop with paper towels, lightly oil each side with vegetable oil, salt and pepper to taste, then sugar one side with 1/8 tsp. of white sugar, avoiding the bone as much as you can and covering the meat as evenly as you can. The sugar helps the first side brown nicely without overcooking the chop.

If you are using an old school electric range, pre-heat an appropriate size burner to medium.

In a cold nonstick pan, press the sugared side of the chop down to get full contact. Put the pan on medium heat, cooking until the chop is lightly browned, 4-9 minutes. The chop should be sizzling by 2 minutes. I like to put my bacon press on the meaty part of the chop during this early part until the flip. Anything not too heavy will do.

Using tongs, flop the chop when ready, cover and reduce the heat to low. If you’re using an old school electric stove, you might try moving the pan on and off the burner as it cools. Cook until an instant read thermometer reads 140-145 degrees F, 3-6 minutes (again begin checking at 2 minutes).

I suggest inserting the thermometer into the edge of the chop (or a thick steak if that’s what you’re cooking up) rather than the top unless you are absolutely certain where the sensor is in your thermometer’s stem. Some sensors are right at the tip, some may be as much as an inch from the tip. It makes a big difference. This is also a reason to get a thicker chop.

Remove the chop to a plate when it comes to temperature (even if the second side is barely brown), tent and let it rest for 5 minutes. Keep the pan juices.

After 5 minutes, pour the accumulated juices from the plate into the pan. Bring to a boil on high heat to reduce by maybe half. Flop the chop into the pan to cover with the reduced juice, plate, add the applesauce to the plate and serve immediately.

As for the applesauce, I like to use a Granny Smith and a somewhat smaller, ripe Golden Delicious. Peel, quarter and core the apples, then half each quarter lengthwise, then cut those into thirds or quarters crossways. Put them in a pot with several tablespoons of water, then sugar to taste. Cover and bring to a boil, checking often for softness and to make sure there is still liquid in the pan. Once the apples are nice and soft, you can mash them with a potato masher or a fork. If the sauce is too thin, continue reducing over low heat. If it’s too thick, add a little water. You may want to add a taste of cinnamon.

I think I may have roses as my vegetable tonight! The remains of Mrs. mota’s b-day cake from work.

13 Likes

Poppers…

:yum:

17 Likes

Try adding a mild curry, like Patak’s to the Mac 'n Cheese…

You’ll be surprised how well that goes together… :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

bavarian pork roast with semmelknĂśdel & sauerkraut

17 Likes

Coquilles St Jacques au beurre noisette coco

15 Likes

I like to add a lot of garlic, some mushrooms and chilli to Mac and cheese.

Curry sounds good maybe a little Garam Masala might be interesting to try.

4 Likes

Last nights meal was a vegetable Pav Bhagi with feta cheese added.

With some fried Nan bread in EVOO.

12 Likes

You can never have too much garlic… :laughing: :+1:

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Last night’s supper, beef & potatoes nothing fancy.

21 Likes

Looks freakin’ delicious!

1 Like

Lol. That does look really good!

I didn’t see this reply, I truly agree. It was delicious :yum:

Oh Man…where did you eat THAT!? Haven’t seen a plate like that since I lived in Germany!

3 Likes

DAMMIT! Gotta stop coming to this thread…so totally blowing my diet!!!

3 Likes

Tilapia

16 Likes

Filet mignon over smoked gouda creamed spinach and crispy Yukon golds

Cuz my wife’s going back to school :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::clap::metal:

18 Likes

cool. what for?

3 Likes

She’s a nurse. mo school, mo money. She’s in the behavioral health field, shes an angel
:innocent:

8 Likes