What do stoners eat? šŸ“ (Part 4)

How was the alder wood? Never tried that before.

2 Likes

Is alder wood your go to?

I asked the guy at the best bbq joint Iā€™ve ever been too and he said they used mostly oak with a touch of hickory.

5 Likes

It is my go to but thatā€™s only my 3rd brisket so have not experimented much yet. Just getting the basics down first. I use hickory when I make Jerry though.

4 Likes

Iā€™m hardly a smoker expert but I did live in Texas and know a little bit about smoked brisket.

3 Likes

I found a few places the recommended Alder for Brisket. Itā€™s not as strong as hickory. I will play around with other woods as I learn more about my smoker. I ran a batch of Jerky using Cherry wood and it turned out really nice.

4 Likes

In my limited experience with smoking meat and fish, alder is more commonly used for fish than red meat. Itā€™s entirely possible that this is a local or regional thing. Itā€™s a more subtle smoke than oak, hickory, maple or fruit woods, and mesquite is totally in your face.

My personal favorite brisket comes from Blackā€™s in Lockhart, TX. They use a local sub-species, post oak exclusively, and they are (or at least were maybe a decade ago) the largest consumer of the wood in the state. Itā€™s in the pit for 30 hours. I donā€™t remember the temperature or rotation schedule, but their brisket is over the top! Itā€™s traditional Texas Q, which is to say itā€™s seasoned with salt and pepper, no sauce. Nor is it traditionally served with sauce. About 20 years ago, due to the rising popularity of BBQ, they introduced their own line of sauce. I personally have never tried it nor do I expect to. If youā€™re ever in the Austin area, Lockhart is about 40 minutes away.

10 Likes

Did you eat at Blackā€™s?

Mrs. motaā€™s mom lived in Austin for about 30 years. Weā€™d visit her three or four times year, and for the first six or eight, weā€™d visit maybe half a dozen pits each visit. We were willing to drive a couple of hours to try that next one we saw on the last trip but were too full to try. Meyerā€™s Elgin Smokehouse was our go to for garlic links. Smokinā€™ good! It was over an hour from Patā€™s house outside Austin.

4 Likes

I did not. Food wise I remember Austin for the tacos and the chili.

The place I mention was in San Antonio off the highway in an old abandoned gas station converted into a smokehouse. Fuck if I can remember the name though.

This place was my local and was also very very good https://mckenziesbarbeque.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=GMB%20-%20Conroe

Incidentally Iā€™m going to Austin in October :grin:

2 Likes

Itā€™s entirely possible we ate there. We spent several days in San Antonio, and no matter where we were in Texas, we were trying multiple pits, usually daily.

I have a little game I like to play when I visit historical sites and/or museums. I call the game Stump the Docent. I ask a docent to answer a single question, to see if I can stump the docent. At the Alamo, I was successful. I was able to identify much of the wood there, including the doors, which were cypress. I, however, asked about what wood used for a small, one butt bench. Nobody on staff, including the head docent, or at least the one on duty, knew the answer! Score one for me.

2 Likes

Closest I can get to remembering is that it was on the north part of the 410.

I play a game at historical sites called ā€œdonā€™t talk to anyoneā€ :joy:

4 Likes

Bulgarian Kavarma

14 Likes

Breakfast

shroom burger and reeses puffs in homemade yogurt.

8 Likes

Itā€™s quite nice IMO. Itā€™s a softer flavor and really letā€™s the rub stand out.

3 Likes

All this BBQ talk is bringing back memories of visiting Austin in 2021ā€¦tried Franklin Barbecueā€¦could only take it to go/curbside deep in Covid times but it was pretty tasty. Stomach is really growling at me now. :rofl::grin: This thread doesnā€™t helpā€¦or does it :thinking:. Have a great day OG folks!

11 Likes

Weā€™ve heard positive things about Franklin, but have not eaten there. Perhaps if we go to Austin again. Mrs. motaā€™s mom no longer lives there.

1 Like

Latest sour dough batch from Mrs Herb. Thereā€™s a sultana one around somewhere too

19 Likes

11 Likes

Hows the flavor of our start? What do you think?

2 Likes

Sorry what nowā€¦

2 Likes

Reeses cereal in home made yogurt.

2 Likes