What is at play here?

Do what you want, but when you’re tired of fighting them and throwing plants away, they’re there.

Every pesticide label says wear long clothes, even “organic” ones.

“str8 poison” is a terribly simplistic way of looking at it. Highly toxic for bugs, safe for mammals.

The very food you eat has far more pesticide residue than some plants you sprayed with a common safe pesticide in veg. “Organic” doesn’t mean better or less toxic, but it does usually mean less effective.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think Spinosad would do the job without the unneeded extra toxicity, cheers … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

Don’t your plants still have bugs? Seems like you’ve been fighting them forever.

2 Likes

Well, yes and no angeldevil|nullxnull , I finally get rid of the spider mites ejem|nullxnull and now have some fungus gnats under control, saw some munched leaves and panicked until I discovered the intruder:

Days later I discovered some tiny offspring, I use to transplant outside and looks like the Canna Terra bag wasn’t completely sealed.

At least when I vape my weed I enjoy the fact of not inhaling some heavy chemicals in my lungs, cheers … beer|nullxnull

4 Likes

What, specifically, makes something “heavy chemicals”? It’s ALL chemicals. Everything is a chemical.

Can’t drink spinosad or get it in your eyes, is it therefore "bad’?

Not supposed to spray pyrethrin without gear, is it also therefore “bad”?

Neem contains azadirachtin, which can be toxic. Is it therefore “bad”?

Do what ya want OP, your decision. Options to fix your problem overnight are sitting on the shelf at Home Depot/Lowe’s/Menard’s for less than $20.

4 Likes

It looks like real heavy stuff, I wouldn’t “play” with it … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

“Things I don’t understand are scary”

3 Likes

Tough decision getting rid of the plants. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. At least they are young and you haven’t lost much time.
I checked the book for you on sanitizing. It doesn’t really say too much to be helpful to be honest. Thoroughly clean your room and your tools. Here’s the options …Boil the tools for 20 minutes or heat them in a pressure cooker at 15 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes( I think this is more for fungus/mold and viruses/diseases) Or dip your tools in a 10% solution of bleach (which can corrode metal.) Or use rubbing alcohol and soap and water to clean tools. This is good for insects and mites, but not good enough for viruses. And finally, remove any plant debris from the room.( Duh) I hope you get rid of the little bastards once and for all. Good luck!

3 Likes

I’ve been working with that shit so long, I put mustard on it and eat the shit. :joy: :speak_no_evil: :v:

4 Likes

Thrips are super easy to get rid of. No way would I throw them plants away because of thrips.

5 Likes

JWA will kill them ! potassium hydroxide and canola oil and it will degrade in a weeks time and it can make 1.25 gallons Of concentrate for like 4$ I’ll put JWA up against any pesticide out there!

2 Likes

tOxiC cHeMiCaLz

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills that people would throw away perfectly good plants over…thrips. Not my clowns, not my circus but I’m having a hard time processing it haha.

2 Likes

You can go Vernal route, and kill em dead, fast. Questionable safety.

You can fight for a bit with stuff that is safe, questionable effectiveness.

Same debate, different thread. How’s it going vern?

4 Likes

Still pushing your chemicals huh? Even when people say no. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

For the 1000th time, all matter is chemicals. Spinosad is chemicals.

It is a tad bit bothersome that my fellow OG growmies would rather throw in the towel than go to the hardware store, I’ll be honest. Thrips on veg plants…it’s kid stuff.

Eh pretty good actually. I trust all is well in the Badger’s sett?

I’m out of this one, see y’all next time someone posts pictures of an infestation haha.

2 Likes

Oh yes I get it… spraying water is spraying chemicals. And anything with carbon is organic.

Kelly Vance came to Beneficial Insectary in 2016 after a 17-year career in greenhouse ornamental and landscape pest management with a strong focus on biological controls and soft chemistry. Since joining the team in Redding, he’s worked in a wide variety of ornamental, food and hemp/cannabis crops developing bio control programs for a myriad of crop pests. He has written company literature and is developing a series of release videos for the Beneficial website as well. Kelly moved to Redding from Salem, OR in November 2018 and covered the western United States for Beneficial Insectary before moving into the IPM Technical Lead position, coordinating the IPM team’s support of customers all over the U.S. and Canada.

5 Likes

Great man. I had a branch die off, so I cut it off for a tester. It was pretty brown from the sun, but after a slow dry, it is pretty dam. Tasty and strong buzz. I was super happy for a couple months early.

2 Likes

Try Plant Therapy by Lost Coast…kills by suffocation and not by poison. Pretty much anything with a soft body will be killed on contact…eggs too. You should also spray the soil, but the soil should be wet prior to treatment since PT contains alcohol.

Great for PM as well. Thirps are tough and I suggest at more than one treatment. As recommended above…add sticky traps for any missed flyers.
Pricey but very concentrated.

My local grow shop has it cheaper…

5 Likes

They are very easy to kill. I sprayed pyrethrin one time and killed them all LOL. I would never kill plants over those. Broad mites I would consider , but even those can be defeated

3 Likes

Peace All. I didnt toss them and I did purchase the Sevin spray as well as Captain Jack’s. I dont have immediate access to the fly traps. Only the ribbon cheap kind. So another question is this… I had already left them for dead and so they are very dry. Should I water first or spray then water. I would not want to burn the plants. Also, @vernal what did U do exactly when U applied it. I have a room on the 3rd floor which no1 is inhabiting. That’s where I will spray. I clearly can’t take them outside. So my question is what other precautions did U take?? Thanks all for engaging in the convo. Be well…:pray:t6:

Peace