What is this called? [Solved] Variegation

Hey overgrowers! Anyone know what this is called? It is not thrips, or any other insect. The leafs on this pheno are like this. It is healthy, and it goes away on the top leafs. It is fairly common I think.

1 Like

you srapy something on your plants? or do you have moisture forming on the leaves?

No sorry, forgot to mention that it is from seed and has been healthy and along with the phenos.

1 Like

oh ok… I was thinking transpiration of the leaves.

it could just be a genetic mutation

1 Like

It looks like mite damage but i am sure you are familiar and would see them through a loop.

Edit: I retract my mite statement, i am stumped. Perhaps a few small moths got in and are f#cking with you.

1 Like

The plant was cloned and new growth contains the same effect. It is definitely not from bugs or light

it’s most likely a magnesium deficiency then…

I meant that when I clone the plant and it starts to grow, even the new leaves that grow have it.

1 Like

try some Epsom salt in your mix for it?

It is not a nutritional deficiency, or caused by bugs.

1 Like

well it’s not some form of variegation… not a sign of happy plant.

1 Like

Plant is happy and grows normal.

I have faith someone will know the name.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in a plant…however it looks as if it has Vitiligo (causes white patches on your skin) it’s due to an auto immune deficiency passed genetically. For humans the affected spots are highly sensitive to direct exposer to sun.

Honestly thats a new one for me

1 Like

I think Variegation is the word you are looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=variegation

2 Likes

Typically with Variegation, it’s a formed pattern on most of the leaves, my ivy and hostas grows like this. However @Viva_Mexico plant pigment looks spotty and random, and seems every leaf has a different pattern. Almost mimicking A Fe or Mg deficiency.

1 Like

But he says the plant is healthy and it passed the mutation to a clone.

1 Like

If you didn’t tell me that the plant is happy and well, I’d also say that it must be some kind of deficiency… Leaves (especially on the second photo) definitely look like damaged in similar fashion like we see from mites.

Are you sure it is observed on plants of same genetics and other ones with same growing style don’t exhibit signs like this?

Anyway thanks for expanding my vocabulary with variegation.

1 Like

Well my 2 cent for all it’s worth :sweat_smile:

Which lead me to think of non plant related issues, such as an auto immune disease which would be past through clone generation regardless of treatment or care.

Showing a mimicking sigh of Fe and MG

Here is my ivy with Variegation:

Here is my rose with Fe deficiency:

But his leaf is by far more random and not following a pattern. Why I think it’s genetic diesease(mutation)

####### Edit: I add his photo to make the comparison easier

2 Likes

Thanks amigos!!!

Yes, only this pheno had this “appearance”. It is transferred to every clone and stays with it on the bottom leaves, as if the light allows it to correct itself. When I go through the plants, I always see it, and when I look at the tag, it is always the same pheno. The same is true under cmh and de hps.

Plant top

3 Likes