What Other Plants Do You Have?

I think it’s where you live. I’m pretty sure our strawberries and raspberries come from Cali all year round. I’ll do a looksie when I’m at the market today. I know our mangos come from Mexico for sure.

I checked out the Mysore, it should grow here also found one that starts with a D that should grow here. I wrote the name down somewhere. I’m definitely gonna try growing one again whether it’s this year or next. I’m hoping for a thornless bush. That may be asking too much though.

3 Likes

@HappyHemper Just got back… Raspberries here say made in the USA… In fine print Watsonville CA
They definitely get a cold snap there. I’m guessing they are different types as Mexico is super hot and humid. Hmmm…

4 Likes

that one on the middle, right…how was it? that’s the keeper based on appearance.
and BRAVO :clap: to you for pulling that off this time of year in Merry Olde E. :gb: :snowman:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Yes SIR! That company used to be or get theirs from Salinas, Calif., and ALL of their berries(every color & kind) look great but taste like plastic & water. I was so infuriated with a repeat performance that I returned the m’fing berries & demanded :crossed_swords: satisfaction. :strawberry:

F@#%&$^& Driscoll’s :fire:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Yep I think that was the keeper
all will be run next year for round two (F2 selection)
the best tasting have been separated out, the rest of the seeds have been pooled
Shall try and sow earlier next season, June was a bit late

2 Likes

@cannabissequoia @HappyHemper I read that the highest concentration of pesticides aka Monsanto are on berries. Strawberries and Raspberries. Now, I’m not the hippie type exactly and generally don’t care if my fruit is organic, but I do only buy the organic berries now. The taste is always 10 times better.

4 Likes

I did not know that about pesticides thanks @Meesh!

1 Like

I have a patch of the sweetest thornless raspberries you ever tasted. By next spring, I could easily afford a few cuts. I think they are called Anne Thornless Raspberry.

They do pretty well here in Mass. Not sure where around LA you could get them to go, but definitely worth running if you could.

These guys sell them.

https://www.noursefarms.com/product/anne/

9 Likes

This is where I get super jealous of colder states. This farm kicks ass! Except everything they grow is geared for your weather. I could push it with some zone 9 plants, I’m zone 10 but these all want a cold snap. I would be ordering horseradish root, some raspberry plants and a few different strawberries from here if I could. The raspberries from these guys yield the first year! I have been given a few options for my zone. A Mysore is looking good so far. When I get back from vacation, I’m gonna get serious about placing an order.

6 Likes

So I’m making an order, raspberries, strawberries and Gooseberry

5 Likes

@alpine NICE! What strains did you end up with?

1 Like

Raspberry Plants Anne,Gooseberries Invicta,Captivator,Strawberries I do not know yet

2 Likes

Let me know what you go with as I’m zone 10 also. May take them indoors if need be

1 Like

First time I used compost tea. Ummm… I think they liked it

7 Likes

I killed two rose bushes this year. As in dug them out with a spading fork and sent them off to city compost.

The powdery mildew would just not go away, and kept infecting everything around them. I pruned them back to 8" over winter. Sprayed them, treated the soil, you name it. The white mess just kept coming back…

So now I have no roses. Maybe I should get Donald Trump’s favourite?

5 Likes

2 of my rose bushes are 70 years old! There were 3 and one croaked this year. I’m pretty sure Rose thrips finally got that one. It had been dwindling for many years, so it was just ready to go.

Funny on the Golden Showers! I had a ridiculous yellow rose climber in the backyard actually. I hated that thing! Spiders and bugs, the thorns made it so hard to deal with. I had my gardener pull that thing out a few years back. I remember feeling sorry for him at the time. That sucker was HUGE!

2 Likes

Yes thorny things suck. I figured out a system though - welding gloves, ski goggles, and motorcycle leathers. My neighbor actually thought I was on some really bad drugs when he saw me charge into the Bush dressed like that, and came in to check on me. But it works pretty well, I cleared about 600 pounds of blackberry brambles in a matter of an hour and a half.

Judging from your experience with climbers, I’ll be staying away from the golden showers. Maybe a nice vanilla variety after I am sure PM is gone.

2 Likes

I’m gonna throw some trash bags down underneath mine soon and lay some copper fungicide on them. They are prone to the black rot too.

Cracking me up over here with your gear! :laughing: Screw rose climbers! I’m gonna use Clematis on my next arbor. lol

2 Likes

A spider plant cutting I over watered with a heavily amended organic soil. Yep, it’s a real fungus gnat orgy in there! Nematodes and sticky traps deployed! Glad this one is at work.

They haven’t found this philodendron at work yet.

A few more at the house

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s a pothos. Beautiful!

You don’t want to just replant that spider in new dirt? lol

1 Like