What Other Plants Do You Have?

8 Likes

Whatā€™s that red one, wifeā€™s loving all these plants tooā€¦ My yard is going to have some new additions this spring :+1:

1 Like

They are ā€œCelosia Dragonā€™s Breathā€

1 Like

Saw one each of the last 2 summers. Ever since I started gardening intensively here. Hmm?

1 Like

Like them bugs!

7 Likes

So I finally went through my seed collectionā€¦ I have of course lots of tomatoes, leafy veggies, herbs, but my pride is my pepper collection.

Iā€™ll start with some of the exotics,
Tepin aka ā€œBird Pepperā€
Yellow Moruga
Brown Moruga
Red Moruga
Moruga Satan
7-Pot Primo
7-Pot Brown
Red Brain
Red Douglah
Brown Douglah
Butch-T x Red Douglah

I need to order some other varieties, I want to get some Trinidads, Some Scotch Bonnets, and probably some other exotics.

Iā€™m going to try and have a greenhouse built by february so I can start a BUNCH of these this year, Iā€™m running low on seasonings and sauces.

10 Likes

Jewel of Opar

Balloon Flower

Chicks & Hens

7 Likes

arenā€™t chicks and hens good for making opium? :smiley:

@Jellypowered are those all varieties of peppers?

3 Likes

Never heard that. Could very well be. Such a strange plant.

Nasturtium Sprouts

Tart Cherries

8 Likes

Yes sir! And those are just some of the ones out there.

I also grow several strains of jalapeƱo, several varieties of Habanero, cayenne, Serrano, even some mutant bell peppers that instead of sweet are spicy.

Itā€™s just like the cannabis world, so many strains, so little time.

4 Likes

are breeding them a similar process as well? iā€™m not a big fan of peppers myself. iā€™d like to start growing leafy greens i think, like spinach lettuce etc

2 Likes

Well, a pepper produces flowers that contain both male and female parts. It achieves self pollination due to its anatomy.

In nature, cross pollination seldom occurs for pepper plants, intervention is required. The easiest way to do this, select an unopened flower preferably in the morning, gently open it, and remove the male antlers. Tweezers help with this. The male antlers donā€™t open to drop pollen until the flower has opened naturally so there is little chance of self pollination at this point.

Take an open flower on the plant you want to cross with, and remove the petals, then use this de-petaled flower like a brush, painting the just opened flower on the other plant. Protect this freshly pollinated flower from other flowers on the same plant with a small paper bag of some sort.

This is done much easier indoors where nature wonā€™t intervene. Obviously youā€™ll have to remember/mark your crossed fruit and you wonā€™t see your results until you grow the seed out. Itā€™s best to do several flowers like this for more chances of success.

Edit: different expressions of genes will start to show in f2 lines. Note that as soon as you grow out an F1 seed, all pods from the f1 plant will contain F2 seeds automatically if the plant is allowed to self pollinate as normal.

Hopefully that was easy to understand lol

4 Likes

yes i think that might be similar to pollination of tomatoes? i know i used to go flick the tomato flowers every day to increase pollination so each flower will set fruit

2 Likes

Yep. Works the same way. Flicking, a gentle constant breeze, insects, etc.

Chickens and hens flower?!?

Iā€™m so confused right now. I need to go learn something really quick, Iā€™ll be right back. Lmfao

1 Like

Yes they do. Cool flowers too.

I brought these guys in for the winter and just fed them.

Looks like one might go ahead and bloom for me.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a friend with chickens and hens in their front yard, shaded the majority of the day. Ten, fifteen years now and Iā€™ve never seen them flower, though to be fair they are not the gardening type. Gunna have to thin their yard and fill in my own.

1 Like

Louisiana bell peppers mmm mmm! burn hotter than most jalapenos. Excellent in chili!

2 Likes

Air Plant with flower like growth that is nearing 3 years old??

8 Likes

this cactus flowering for the first time in 10+ years, i think because normally theres always a light on in that room

11 Likes