What Other Plants Do You Have?

I have a few trees that I grew from seed - except for the Dracaena marginata, which I started from a broken branch.

Dracaena marginata, Orange, Lemon, and Mango

A dragon guards the entrance to my home!

Dracaena marginata is also known as the ‘Madagascar Dragon Tree’. When my SO placed this in my care, it was 18 inches tall and fading fast. Today, it stands over 8 feet tall.

An experiment in progress… chives and indoor carrots… in a bag.

Organic Danvers 126 carrots and chives planted in a re-purposed and recycled shopping bag.

7 Likes

Every year I grow vegetables. This year I grew:
Beefsteak and early girl tomatoes, Cucumbers, bell peppers, musk melon, squash, pumpkins and a few different kinds of peppers. Thai yellow, Thai red, moruga scorpion, red scotch bonnet, yellow jalapeño, chocolate bhut jolokia, akgkor sunrise, and golden habanero

When the veggie garden is done for the season I pay attention to the succulents

12 Likes

Bell pepper

6 Likes

@AlwaysLearnin

:mag: U.N. chemical weapons inspections coming! :fire: :boom: :fire_engine:

:hot_pepper: …serious weapons-grade stuff. :thumbsup:

i’m hoping to do some Trinidad Scorpion!

https://www.rareseeds.com/assets/1/14/DimLarge/Pepper_Hot_Trinidad_Scorpion_HPP178_LSS_000_4397.JPG

"90 days. Former record holder for heat-nearly the hottest chili on the planet! Wrinkled, lantern-shaped fruits ripen to a searing red-orange. Was named as the world’s hottest pepper by the New Mexico Chile Institute, edging out the previous record holder, Bhut Jolokia. Trinidad Scorpion averaged at 1.2 million Scovilles. Who needs pepper spray? "

:thumbsup:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Haha. I was lookin at Tyler Farms site for some other super hots for next season. I just might look into gettin some Trinidad Scorpion seed.
Wife been making Jalapeño an Ghost Pepper jelly an for some reason people love it lol.
Wonder what Trinidad Scopion pepper jelly would taste like on toast or a ritz cracker with phili cream cheese

8 Likes

Wow good looking garden @AlwaysLearnin! Some of those peppers look damn hot!:fire:

4 Likes

Thank you @Tinytuttle
Most have a lot of heat. I also grow Fresno Red which aren’t hot. With those peppers we clean out the inside an fill with cream cheese and wrap with bacon so the kids will enjoy them an not cry lol

5 Likes

Those cantaloupes look amazing too! I have some seeds coming and will start some in spring. Any particular growing suggestions?

3 Likes

I think my whatever this is “flipped” itself. In Ukrainian we call this “decemberist” - what is it called in english?

5 Likes

Thanks @Meesh All ive done to my garden was turn the dirt over, add steer manure then turn it over again.
The only issue I’ve had while growing them were earwigs. They would start making small holes at the bottom of the melon.
Place somethin under them that will keep them from laying directly on the dirt.
I didn’t do much more to them but watch them grow because I had all plants on a timer.
Only thing I could ask for is If could get more direct sunlight

2 Likes

I believe it’s just a christmas cactus

3 Likes

Some Zinnias I grew…

8 Likes

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Melons like heat, slight acidic pH, good soil with good drainage, do well when planted like the seed-packet says :smile: in a circular raised mound, seeding 3-4 seeds(x3 or 4 spots in the mound), “thinning out” when they get to the 3-4" stage.

They can potentially grow 20’ long so they might carpet the whole yard. :smile: :herb: :watermelon:

@AlwaysLearnin is right about keeping the fruits off the ground… i’ve thought maybe some of that soft foam packing mat’l might work(porous, breathes). they can get bugs & softspots & rot on the bottom.

The other thing I’ve noticed is they seem to really prefer regular appropriate watering, like tomatos. (dan quayle moment) :thinking: Toes, poh-tay-toews, hmm. :wink:

And harvesting them varies; Some you have to pull or cut off, and some you wait until they pull off easily, aka “full slip”. “half-slip” means harvest when they still need some gentle tugging, like @Esrgood4u. :laughing: :dog2:

Sorry folks, it’s my morning medication.

:evergreen_tree: :speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

Touche :rofl: I’m on holiday leave me out of your madness until Tuesday haha :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Had some weird shit happen this year with my melons. As the ‘vine’ would grow, the older growth would die off. And new growth: dying growth was proportionate. Whack. Quick pro tip (or common knowledge) save avacado seed, insert 3 toothpicks to suspend over cup of water. Fill cup to where half pit is submerged. Walk away, come back in a few weeks, see taproot… wait until stem growth… plant in pot, avacado tree for you

3 Likes

The toothpick method for Avocado seeds didn’t work for me, I just half buried them in a bucket of compost and forgot about them. That seemed to do the trick.

Also have a look at this

2 Likes

Interesting as I’ve ALWAYS used this method on 20+ trees and been successful. I do plant coconuts half buried in soil. Perhaps temp/ humidity have something to do with it as my local climate is always hot and humid

2 Likes

Yes it will def be the temp as I’m from UK up North and it’s always fkn freezing. Although we did have a good Summer this year.

2 Likes

You ever grew a sugar apple tree?

2 Likes