What Other Plants Do You Have?

Can I send you some of ours? 20-30mm per day for almost a week… finally some sun in the forecast. Sump pump has been working overtime in the basement, and my tap water literally dropped to 0PPM, straight rainwater now.

Cactus is doing just fine :wink:

2 Likes

I would love a piece of that! and more rain!

1 Like

Well, I can mail you a cut of the cactus, but I’m not sure how much rain would fit into Air mail small parcel :wink:

2 Likes

Did you get blooms that big last year?

Last year I got nothing. This year I have been adjusting soil ph a little lower, bulking it up with grow nutes over august-september and put it into overdrive with GH bloom and some bee-byproduct derived growth hormones LOL. To free up LITFA for the cannabis all the fucks to give had to go somewhere…

5 Likes

I have been messing with the ph on that blueberry bush I got a few months back. It’s been completely dormant. Today after the rains I noticed some pretty nice roots though. Above ground portion of the plant looks pretty pathetic though, most of the leaves have fallen off. It’s probably about time to add some more epsoma sulfur. I’ll have to look back in one of my feeds to see how long it’s been since I’ve added it, but I think it’s been the 6 weeks now.

Just checked. It’s been 5 weeks. I’ll wait for more acidifier

4 Likes

I believe it accumulates Nitrogen in the air as it’s fallen to earth that’s why my lawn always looks so much better than normal irrigated water .

3 Likes

Encourage fungal growth in and around blue berry bush top dress only with aged wood chips fungi dominance swings it to a lower ph where as bacterial is more basic… ya can top dress with pine needles also.

2 Likes

and…it’s pH’ed, low-PPM & full of bacteria yumminess. (and pollution)

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Question for all you gardeners - Do you think growing cannabis has increased your love of growing other plants and flowers or has increased your other plants health by learning about nutrients and soil? Or have your other plants fell by the wayside since you started growing cannabis?

For me, seeing the very first cannabis seedling emerge from the dirt hooked me on growing everything and has improved my gardening ability and skills in general. I literally fell in love with growing anything.

12 Likes

It’s an interesting question @Meesh. I am indoors for the time being, and as such don’t view growing cannabis as gardening, i view it as production. Much like brewing beer or baking bread. Very controlled environment, with as many variables controlled as possible. And i like that. I do not believe it has affected my gardening of other plants much, except for maybe exposure to the latest & greatest fertilizer technology.

When we lived in Ukraine I learned to grow food from my grandparents; also it was somewhat of a family duty to maintain an orchard and a potato patch. We actually had two of each in our family, so in my teenage years a significant portion of my summers was spent doing that, especially as my grandparents aged. For instance, to feed the family for the winter we maintained two plots of potatoes about 1/4 acre each. Hand-planted. Hand-harvested, hauled in a sidecar of an old motorbike. Parents working, so Happy was up, for a few days to a week, with a spade cultivating, then planting, then picking bugs and spraying, then harvesting, sorting, hauing, etc, etc. And apples, and cherries, and all sorts of other shit. Soooo much work. I did not have as much time to fuck around on summer holidays as other kids my age, and kinda hated the obligation, but loved spending summers in that village, so my relationship with gardening is complicated.

I know how, but prefer not to, when it comes to vegetables. My wife insists on keeping a veggie garden but she doesn’t have the time, so the garden is always overgrown. And when I look at it i’m like “if I touch this, i’m gonna own this, and I don’t wanna…”

I do, however, keep a herb garden because the shit’s just so much better fresh. Rosemary, chives, cilantro, parsley, dill, many oreganos and thymes, mints, curry plant, bay leaf, basils.

With respect to keeping these herbs, cannabis probably benefited from my previous experience so far. But i can see that by paying a better attention to the medium and feed, I can probably reduce the footprint of my herb garden and maintain similar yields, which I will likely do, because the smaller the garden, the better for this guy :wink:

I did get suckered into planting some fruit trees, so i got a fig, apple, apricot, plum. Inherited raspberries with purchase of house, so I have been keeping them in check a little bit. There’s some strawberries too that kid likes, a couple bushes of berries. Hmm. dammit. how did that happen? lol.

9 Likes

Yes, absolutely growing cannabis helps one get in touch with the inner farmer we all have inside as human beings! For me cannabis was the gateway to growing my own vegetables. :smile:

there’s an amazing sense of power & fulfillment in seeing something valuable and useful grow up out of the dirt. I’m going to farm markets and paying $3.50 for organic swiss chard and lettuce and thinking “what I am doing? I can do this myself”

11 Likes

Initially, years 1-2, my other stuff benefitted, but I had a bug disaster at year 2 harvest, so now finishing up yr 3, i went bonkers on MMJ & neglected almost everything else. my tomatoes this year were embarassing. possibly as bad as store-bought. shamed my family. :stuck_out_tongue:

This xmas I hope to find a photo of myself in diapers, boots, camoflauge jacket & hat, digging with a shovel, circa age 2. Talk about “born to do it”. My parents had no idea… :smile:

:evergreen_tree: :herb: :baby: :pick: :boom:

6 Likes

Once I gained confidence and success after struggling to figure out how to grow nice buds way back in the dark ages, I got the urge to try growing other plants. Well, I have been growing vegetables and flowers ever since.
I concentrated my energy exclusively on cannabis until it became easy or even reflexive. Then I began germinating lots of seeds other than ganja.
Over the years I have gravitated towards mostly flowers and a few veggies and herbs.
Here are some that I grow over and over.

Basil
Cilantro
Rosemary
Catnip
Tomatoes
Peppers
Tithonia
Zinnia
Vinca
Impatiens
New Guinea Impatiens
Sunflowers
Coleus
Torenia

Well, you get the point, I like to grow stuff that’s not cannabis because I started to grow cannabis.

It’s fun and absorbing as well as gratifying.

8 Likes

I love reading all of your responses!

@HappyHemper I believe I have shied away from an indoor grow set-up for the same reason you like it. I suppose since you grow for your wife it makes sense that a controlled production system works for you. To me that sounds like work and just not as pleasant as roaming around in the sunshine with the butterflies and digging my hands in the dirt bringing the earth to life. In all reality though, there is a whole lot of LITFA involved when you are gardening. To me, growing seasonal flowers and a few veggies along with my cannabis isn’t that much more work. When I think veggie patch, I think gardening, A hobby, fun in the sun. You however think farming because of your experiences which is a fuckload of work. lol

@Muleskinner I’ve been preparing my veggie plot all through the fall now to grow my own veggies next year and cannabis was definitely my gateway too!

@cannabissequoia I thought tomatoes like the same nutes as cannabis? Can’t wait to see that baby pic when you find it!

@Calyxander I completely relate and I have become a flower germing fool since I started with cannabis. By the time I am finished with my entire back yard it will be like 80% flowers back there. I’ve also noticed that I don’t enjoy planting already established flowers, only seeds, bulbs or some bare root plant that I can literally watch emerge from the earth.

6 Likes

Thought this was funny so I’ll share! Apparently I share @cogitech wife’s LITFA method on my orchids. I’ve had this thing for 10+ years and have basically ignored it since I’ve had it. It’s way outgrown it’s pot, has shit for decent growing medium and was lucky to get water, but throws up a flower spike or two like clockwork every year. I don’t think it has had more than 2 leaves on it in 10 years. About 2 months ago I started throwing my leftover African Violet food on it every week and holy crap it freaked out and now has 7 whole leaves! Not to mention those new juicy little red tipped roots! :joy:

9 Likes

I’v had a love affair with gardening for awhile now it all started back when when I developed Mel Barthalomews square garden concepts in raised beds of one of the main components in his mixes is compost. Yes I started off probably like most making subpar compost as most probably do, hotter the better was my mantra! I’v learned over the years there’s correct ways of doing it and bad ways also. In the meantime I’v dabbled in KNF, bokashi composting as well, it’s beneficial in my options everyone should at least verimcompost as well it just blows me away the plant/microbes/ fungi symbiotic relationship they have in each other , there so many people out there writing great books with so much knowledge and I try to immerse myself ad much as possible !

7 Likes

Does anyone use a soiless mix like Sunshine Mix 4 to sprout any of your seeds? Cannabis, flowers, veggies etc…

I’m wondering also if I transplanted my blueberry into t would be a better choice to keep a low ph ?

2 Likes

D

I use ProMix BX or ProMix HP or Jiffy Seed Starter Mix for all seed starting needs.
They work very well.
I think these are similar to Sunshine Mix.

I have zero experience with blueberries.

3 Likes

You should search around the www for blueberry growing advice-- there’s LOTS, like roses (or weed :smile:).

I like jiffy peat pellets… about .10 a piece from Wallymart. i don’t like the coco-based ones.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like