What Other Plants Do You Have?

I’ve used this stuff outside, you could probably mix some into your soil containers instead of lime to keep the ph down

https://www.espoma.com/product/soil-acidifier/

3 Likes

Once you get your compost going I’v heard you can plant right into that maybe add a bit of peat moss and some perlite if ya like that stuff!

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I used. It is just going slow. Like a 1/2 a point every 6 weeks.

3 Likes

and that’s blazing fast, iirc… for me it worked more like 1-1.5 pH drop per YEAR… for azaleas that were rockin an 8.5pH :rocket: and somehow still alive. yuck-eee.
a year of vinegar-water at 5.0 fixed the problem for the most part.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Some help here would be greatly appreciated folks,
From a friend :
it has been dropping as many leaves as you see on the floor every week since Midsummer. I transplanted the tree about a year ago and this is the biggest pot that I’ll ever put it in. Any idea as to why am losing the leaves. There is the air duct right behind it but it has never seemed to bother it in the last 15 years?
The leaves are not really yellow which would be an indication of overwatering. I watered the same amount as I have for the last 15 years.

She uses shitty tap water at a pH of 8 to water her plants (I’ve tried telling her otherwise but shes too lazy to fuss with anything) .

I’m thinking a trimming of the roots and a lil more water…anyone else?

2 Likes

I don’t think it likes the draft. They like to be above 60f. Also, if you see any sap then it has bugs… treat with neem oil. Also try some humidity, saucer of pebbles w/water?

1 Like

Anyone know how to grow a Wisteria? Mine absolutely hates me. It won’t die and it won’t really grow. I tried fertilizer (hated it). All the leaves fell off. Funny part is in many parts of the world it is considered a weed. Any weed killers have it listed. Why can’t I get it to grow???

2 Likes

@dgtxxx I would prune the canopy and the roots, replant in NEW soil, and consider Meesh’s saucer with constant water supply…absent any other issue like bugs. Could you provide your friend with some “nutes”? :wink: Give an acidic fertilizer? or buy her a water-filter pitcher for christmas? those lower pH quite a bit by removing PPMs of minerals. :thumbsup:

@Meesh wisteria lose their leaves seasonally, fyi. :slight_smile: i can’t tell you from experience but they are from China… take a LONG time to get established, and are weedy. There’s more than one kind, iirc, the Chinese one is the weed & the California one isn’t? Dunno…

4 Likes

I’m a complete stoner… Who is the orchid guy? Is it @Badfishy1 I need expert advice.

Yes. I’m posting in here a lot lately as I’m in between cannabis grows. lol

2 Likes

Expert? No far from! But have experience with them :wink:

2 Likes

@Meesh, remember our much earlier discussion about roses, powdery mildew, and how I had to kill two bushes?

Well, one of them refused to die and sprouted back up in freaking mid-December!

4 Likes

Roses are tough as can be. You cut them to the ground or even dig out most of the roots & a little left behind will come up. :rose: BUT they are grafted like fruit trees so we’re probably seeing the rootstock cultivar which is usually hardy but weedy or ugly or doesn’t fruit, etc. Often times you cut a bush-type only to have a climbing or trellising type come up…because the super vigorous grower is what is used for roots & they graft a dainty, disease & pest-sensitive but attractive blooming cultivar onto it.

:v:

4 Likes

I did not know that grafting was the way of roses @cannabissequoia; thanks. I will not attempt to see what it grows like then. Come to think about it foliage does look different.

Death by spading fork.

4 Likes

:thumbsup: :smile: Good decision. I have done that a few times & they never come out good. The only cases I’ve seen that “work” is on long-neglected properties where the climbing/trellising roses have been established & left to grow…they end up beautifying a dumpy place :slight_smile: but that’s about 2 out of 20, so good decision.

And yeah, the healthy foliage fooled me to! :wink:

3 Likes

You can always wait for 1 flower to make sure it’s not the graft. You can tell for sure right away then
My rose climber eventually got taken out by the graft after I neglected it. I hated that plant. Lol

2 Likes

@Badfishy1 my phaleonpsis is like 10 years old. I’ve never repotted it . It seems to have 2 separate crowns now. Should I somehow separate them and put them in their own pots? If so, how do I separate them and I should probably spray off all the roots with peroxide correct?

Check it out! The blueberry bush is finally doing something besides shedding all of it’s leaves. Think it’s coming out of dormancy.

Little red buds of some sort starting!

7 Likes

Nice @Meesh. What size container is that? I have raspberries in a 4 gal and I wish I had put them in the ground. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Well, this is a dwarf bush so it is supposed to be okay for container growing. I found this cool pot stashed behind the community trash can at my Dad’s condo, so I’m not sure the exact volume, but it looks to me like 3 gallons. Eventually I will put this sucker in a half barrel planter. First though, I wanted to see if it would make it. I only got this bush in the summer and am still fooling around with the sulfur to get the ph down. It takes forever organically. I was starting to wonder if this guy was gonna die. I kept scratching at the stem to see if it was green inside and still alive as it hadn’t done anything since I got it.

4 Likes

@Meesh what do you think about putting it in your greenhouse in a container…? most of them have requirements for “chill” so you may be f’ed on blueberries. :thinking: (as in… so many days of frosty winter req’d).

:telephone_receiver: Call Canada for blueberries…

That :point_up_2: stuff is ridiculously good. :tongue:

3 Likes