What Other Plants Do You Have?

Made some green chili some years ago from some roasted Hatch chilis best damn stuff I’v every made!

6 Likes

I remember a coworker gave me a recipe for a green chili called " Choppers " googled this almost exactly what I recalled what went into it!

5 Likes

Sorry for your loss…I thought mine was gonna go, it’s 3x7ft and pvc. She was bowing pretty hard and had me worried. The neighbors have a poly tunnel and it was still there.

2 Likes

There is something just unique and addicting about the taste of roasted hatch chilis.

$5 per package of seed. Thousands of seeds per pack! Could start a farm…

Awesome, that looks good. Will squirrel this away.

5 Likes

4th of july in feb.

Rosemary as well.

10 Likes

Well, to cheer myself up I have started some chilli, cauliflower, celery, aubergine, leek, and cherry seeds.

I phoned the company that makes the polytunnel and they do not sell spares so it would be a whole new one.

If that is the case, I may just get some plastic sheeting and build one from wood.

8 Likes

Are Hatch (NM) green chilis true from seed? If so I could get you guys plenty come harvest time. We buy chili by the 20lb bag around here (Albuquerque).

7 Likes

:+1: Awesome, thanks! If I fail at growing some of these this year, I might need to ask you for a favor! Or, maybe for a comparison test.

From my understanding, Hatch is namely a marketing term for the region as the peppers themselves are also known by different names. Such as the Anaheim chili which is aka the Hatch chili.

Now, whether there are "true"ly unique hatch pepper varieties, I have no idea. From what I’ve read, blind taste tests have been inconclusive. I’d wager that the unique NM growing conditions contribute to most of the perceived differences. But, idk really. To be safe, to be able to say “hatch”, I did buy some seeds directly from a NM grower.

7 Likes

Yes, they grow the Anaheim variety in Hatch NM. To be Hatch green chili it must be grown there. Like wine, the area they are grown with adds a subtle unique taste. I’m eating a burrito with green chili as I type this.

10 Likes

LOL. HatchImproved™ then. :imp:

8 Likes

Its’s been 10 days since I put 10 jalapeno seeds in their little holes.
2/10 so far. 1st popped up at 8 days, 2nd at 9.
Actually 2 is all I need, so, all is well.
This particular variety of pepper is by far, the hottest jalapeno I have yet grown.

9 Likes

I have been neglecting the basil I I started a while ago.
They are in dire need of transplanting.
Only want to keep 3 or 4 plants.
I’ll get 'er done today…maybe.

8 Likes

Is it not some sort of Bamboo?

1 Like

Right???

8 Likes

Bamboo or grass I thought? I’ll keep looking.

1 Like

And all that remained in the place where there used to be a polytunnel was a small plinth with the feet of a garden gnome. And on the plinth was an engraved plaque.

I have started some early seeds indoors for this year. I will make a small outside covered area but a new polytunnel will be next year at the earliest.

I have also ordered a £3.50 50W 220V COB to use in a cheapo propagating box to bring on some early tomatoes, chilli, and melons. It will be my first, no risk, experiment with LED tech. I will learn with chilli plants then move what I have learned to my mother and cuttings box.

I have decided that reality can fuck off, I will be growing ketchup, cider, vinegar, wine, chillis, and veg for Christmas dinner anyway no matter what ideas reality has!

9 Likes

It has been 17 days since I began trying to germinate some Jalepeno
pepper seeds.
So, 7/10 popped thru the soil.
I transplanted 6 of them out of the flat yesterday.
I will kill the less vigorous plant in each container in the next week or so, leaving 1
in each cup.

8 Likes

For me peppers especially bell peppers have been a challenge over the years don’t know why had success last year will need to get new seed for the 2019 growing season looking good @Calyxander!

6 Likes

^^^
The only difficulty I have encountered in growing bell peppers is in containers.
They grow much better in the ground than in containers, at least in containers smaller than 5 gallons. These Jalapeños thrive in 2 gallon containers, and will produce well all season.
I really like Burepee’s California Wonder bell peppers, but I can’t grow them in my current circumstance.
Drat.

7 Likes

@Calyxander

Are you keeping the pepper seedlings in a dome or in a warm micro environment? I was having shitty luck until we got some sunshine to put on them, but have come up much better with heat. I even microwaved some old media & had a pepper sprout up afterward, in the dark, on a cold surface… :thinking: Whatever. That’s the keeper :joy: :hot_pepper:

LOL! Sounds like a great idea! I’m with you 100%!

:relieved:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes