What Other Plants Do You Have?

@Ghandisflipflop. I was feeling mischievous. Was gonna tell them after they were blue. Lol

1 Like

One of the planters I dug out and amended last fall coming to life. The back 3 plants with the sword leaves are Papaver aka Oriental Poppies and the scattering of other plants are Ranunculus

3 Likes

Dwarf blueberry southern highbush coming to life

Daffodils

6 Likes

My habanero/pepper plant is screaming for an up pot. Got some weird growth happening.

10 Likes

My strawberry plants arrive next week. Drilled holes in a 7 gallon galvanized steel container that I am gonna set on blocks for extra drainage. The only problem is when summer comes it’s really gonna heat up. Any suggestions on what I could line the container with to keep the roots cool? Newspaper?

2 Likes

Some of the best strawberries I have had in recent years were raised off the ground in gro-bags. A wooden frame with netting between and a gro-bag plonked on top. Cut the gro-bag, plant runners. Worked really well and seemed easily refreshed.

IMO a better way of doing it would be to make a raised bed on stilts, set up a no-dig planter on top and grow strawberries in there. Painted white, it would reflect a lot of sun and the underflow of air would keep them cool.

EDIT :

Just read your post better, your steel drum could do with being painted white, as white as you can get. A newspaper lining would just rot down and make a good contact with the hot drum. What you want is to stop the drum heating in the first place. Insulate the outside with loft insulation/rockwool. It won’t rot and will keep the outside of the drum a lot cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

6 Likes

Freesia from my garden

8 Likes

It depends on how nice & pretty you want & ditto on @MicroDoser’s point: you wanna keep the metal from heating up. Cardboard with a 2" air gap… and some straw for a mulch.(you can get small amts of straw aka “flakes” at a feed store(:chicken: :horse: :dog2:).

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I have a huge compressed box of it from build a soil, planting the veggie patch here pretty quick… Dad said there is some special crap you have to use on galvanized steel or the paint won’t stay on it too… think I’ll just mulch and put it where it will get afternoon shade.

2 Likes

Topiary and a bonsai for the wife!

8 Likes

Good Times!!! Love them!

@Calyxander I need to make the cages for my CA Wonders. How big around should I make them?

2 Likes

Standard size tomato cages work well. However, you could simply stake them up.
I like to use strips or loops of pantyhose to tie the main stem to the stake.
They will become top heavy with fat, yummy peppers. They will get around 4 feet tall.
Good luck.

1 Like

My Camilla “bushes” are looking epic this year!

10 Likes

Speaking about aeroponics :grin: this plant lives from the air, it is hanged in many houses of my village, this one is from my neighbor. He gave me two branches and now they are growing home hanging in my front door …

9 Likes

Hahahahaha!! Excellent! Hahahahaha!

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Since I can’t grow cannabis atm and the weather is so nice I started my porta-partment garden

Mini Roses… they where a valentines day gift from a special someone
a money tree and below is croton, all valentine’s gift

Now my veggie garden

Garden beans and peas

Tomatoes

Carrots

And last but not least my jalapenos

9 Likes

Nice looking crotan! Croton

1 Like

Thanks buddy, I’ve been using my low voltage grow light on her at night and it’s been bringing out all the yellows and reds

1 Like

It’s official, spring has arrived!

Welcome, Galanthus nivalis, the snowdrop

Stay away, bombogenesis. Screw you, Phil :wink:

5 Likes

The chamomile from my greenhouse looking pretty

5 Likes