2 Likes

Basil growing from seeds of last harvest

12 Likes

I’d say full bloom now

14 Likes

Aye they are pretty.

11 Likes

@Tappy I have a very similar story…

My Mom passed away in 2016, and I inherited her cactus plant. Miss her soooo much… :heart:

Had it blooming slightly … But, nothing like what Im seeing here! Not sure whats going on.

Very healthy, … But, I would love to see them huge red flowers! … :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’ve never grown one, but just a flower farmer spidey sense I’m getting is they need a different spot. I’m thinking more sun. Kinda like african violets, get them in the right spot and they’ll flower. 1/2 strength fert me thinks too.

2 Likes

Hello there Meesh!.. :wave::slight_smile:

This plant is facing the south window, and she sits next to my african violet.

The african violet is doing great, and blooms all the time, But this Christmas cactus doesn’t do much. She flowers, here and there,… but kinda small, and wispy.

Im thinking too much nitrogen? … :confused:

2 Likes

These water lilies are amazing…Kauai

10 Likes

@Meesh
That looks like a koi pond…

I’ve had this Tree Philodendron plant for 40 years… almost killed it several times when I moved during the winter. My Ex used to shove it into a dark corner when I was out of town for work… it’s had a lot of abuse over the years. I only figured out to flush the plant when I started growing weed a few years ago… boy was she happy for the flush! Started growing much larger leaves and exploded with new growth.

This plant is out of control. Too big for me to lift and repot easily… I’ll need to rig a pulley from the ceiling or something to lift it up and repot and/or break it up into multiple plants. The air roots circle the pot, and I just keep tucking them in when they get too long and start trying to root into the carpet.

I’m trying to make the plant a bit smaller and enable it to stay in the existing pot for a while longer - until I figure out what to do with it. This February I cut 60 leaves from the plant and then in Sept/Oct cut another 50 leaves… so 110 leaves cut this year, and it could stand to have another dozen of the lowest leaves removed. These are the “philo bones”. I cut the leaves about 5 inches from the trunk and remove them once they’ve dried and fall off easily.

I don’t know the best way to divide a big plant like this, so I’m just trying to make it manageable. Is it better to divide and repot in the winter when the growth is slow? Or in the spring when it’s popping babies like crazy?
Any Philo experts out there?

11 Likes

:clap: Bravo! Put’s my little 5 & 6 'leafers to shame. :blush:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Psycho0 x (Sina x Tripsis) grafted to Myrtillocactus Geometrizans, 2 week difference from my other photo above, need to take some more photos as it’s even bigger now :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

After years of neglect, this beauty is again ready to strut her stuff!! So happy it is feeling better. First time it’s bloomed since my mom passed.
Put it in my grow so it has awesome nutes and ph’d water with the best lighting in the house.

7 Likes

Awesome! A south facing window is ideal when not in the tent.

2 Likes

I have east and west…lol…one basement window faces south…lol. Everything but the dragon plant and christmas cactus has died…very, very slowly. Hurt to watch.

2 Likes

bummer! May have to switch to nonflowering plants like ferns, pothos and snake plants for inside

2 Likes

The Christmas cactus needs a bit of cold to bloom I’m told. A porch where it drops to 55 overnight or a day or two near a basement window should get it going.

3 Likes

That explains it then…its been on the fireplace getting half-assed indirect sunlight for 4 years with consistent temps. Brought it to the basement a couple months ago and bam! Like turning on a light switch.

3 Likes

Here is my extremely wind abused lemon tree with a bare bones pomegranate in the corner

5 Likes

Cool! How old is the lemon tree? I see a flower there, how old does the tree have to be to put fruit out?

2 Likes